Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cloth diapering -the good, the bad, the ugly!

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Cloth diapering -the good, the bad, the ugly!

Advertisements
    I'm thinking about cloth diapering this time around. Any advice? Ideas? What do you do with the dirty diapers? Any idea how much you safe approximately? Good places to get started?
    An unconditional right to say what one pleases about public affairs is what I consider to be the minimum guarantee of the First Amendment.
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    ebf babies just toss in the wash i do one cold wash no detergent and one hot wash with 1/4 of the detergent normal for that size of a load. it depends on what kind if dipes you buy but www.diaperpin.com is wonderful for a starting source.
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I know there are different kinds. But I'm not sure what the difference is between them
    An unconditional right to say what one pleases about public affairs is what I consider to be the minimum guarantee of the First Amendment.
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    i like bumgenius because they are onesize and super easy. prefolds and covers are most economical and the old fashioned way of cloth diapering. i like pockets like fuzzibunz to but they have to be bought in each size
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    people always say prefolds and covers. what the heck is that? People talk about the kind they use... but I'm never sure if it is a type.. or a brand.. or how to google to find it!
  6. Senior Member
    I don't have children, but I've heard that Bumkins and prefolds/covers are the best way to go.

Ahhh, I can't WAIT to cloth diaper my bebes, whenever I have them.
    Cori Aletta______ Avery William

09.23.09_________06.13.11
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
  8. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    prefolds are just a square/rectangle of cloth that is thicker in the middle (usually 3-4 layers in the middle) and you fold around your baby. you can use this thing called a snappi which has three ends (like a T) and has prongs to keep the diaper fastened, you can use old fashioned diaper pins that you put on the sides of the diaper to keep it on or you can just fold it around your baby and stick the cover like a Bummis Super Whisper Wrap or Thirsties over it. These are by far the cheapest and most economical but there is definitely a steep learning curve. We intended on using these but had lots of poop (newborn breastfed poop) blowouts while we were learning and I could not be washing my 3 covers every day when I didn't need to wash the prefolds.

Pocket diapers are essentially diapers that come in one size such as BumGenius 3.0 (different rises for different lengths such as a newborn would have it on the shortest rise while a toddler would have it on the longest rise. these one size diapers also claim to fit up to potty training average age) or in sized such as Fuzzi Bunz (xs, s, m, etc). With pockets you stuff them to the absorbancy you need. So if you have are using them over night you'd stuff them a little more full than if you are using them during the day. Or if you have a heavy wetter you can also put more in there than if you have a slower peer.

There are also fitteds which require a cover. I personally love Goodmamas, Susie One Size fitteds, and Cuddlebuns fitteds. The three I mentioned are pricier but they are all one sized (advertized). These are all fabric diapers that I usually use overnight instead of something like a pocket because they hold more since the whole diaper is able to absorb. The thing with these is they tend to be bulkier and usually a bit more pricier.

Whatever you choose to use as a newborn expect 8-12 diaper changes a day. My highest recommendation comes for pockets particularly bumgenius or fuzzi bunz
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    bumkins are ok but they don't absorb well so are no good at night and on long outings.

I like fitted diapers with covers honey boy all in ones and pocket diapers.
  10. Put the alphabet in order...
    Put the alphabet in order...
    Ok, for newborn, I would totally do prefolds with covers, just because you change them so often, and One size fitteds can get super bulky on a newborn.

The majority of my stash is bumgenius and fitted diapers. Fitteds still need a cover, some people can go without covers over fitteds at home, I can't, both Nick and Sam are heavy super duper wetters. For overnight, we've started using bamboo fitteds with a wool cover, fantastic absorption, no leaks.

Cloth can get addicting I know I have bought way too many diapers in the past few weeks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast