Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Feeling more confident

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Feeling more confident

Advertisements
    With the D man everyone pushed me to have him cry it out. In the end I gave in and when he was 16 months old I let him cry it out. I spent 9 days in the living room at night with a pillow over my head while my sister said "do not go get that baby". It felt wrong. If I went in to calm him down he would get frantic and climb up me to get out of the crib. So each time I went in to soothe he got even more worked up. Eventually he gave up and stopped crying. It was NOT right for us. He still has sleep issues which I feel are connected to the crying it out. He is afraid to sleep alone.

With Tatellah I refused to let him cry it out. I started co-sleeping then at one year I slowly transitioned him to where he went to bed in his crib then when he woke up I would go to him and bring him to my bed. Some evenings I did let him cry for a little bit if he woke up before I was even in bed. (on bad nights he would wake up about 2 hours after you put him down) I hated doing even that though and always felt guilty. As soon as he calmed down I would go and check on him.

Now at a little over 2 he is sleeping all the way through the night when he wakes up he stands up looks around and then lays back down to wait for me. (I saw him do this one morning when I peeked in his bedroom) He KNOWS I am going to come for him. It has been rocky and I have been tired and a few times I have let him cry but for the most part I have done this my way without listening to all of the people insisting that he MUST sleep through the night and he MUST sleep in his own bed.

I let him go at his own pace for the most part and I see that he sleeps better for it now.

I am also confidant that he is on his way to self weaning and I am glad that I am following his cues on these things. (to the best of my ability I am FAR from perfect I screw up from time to time)
  2. Senior Member
    I have strong opinions about CIO, but that is me, I think that if you are able to have success with it, go for it! I do have to ask one thing though...I tried to CIO with Katrina and she would get SOOOOOOOO upset that she would vomit and soil her diaper to the point of explosive. Does yours? I always wondered if I was the only mom who had that happen.
  3. Senior Member
    I'm so glad you're feeling more confident! That's great!
  4. Senior Member
    Mommy knows best!
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    i think that you should always follow your own maternal instincts. what everyone else says to do may not be best for YOUR child. i don't know that i will want my babies sleeping in my bed (one of my friend's husbands accidentally suffocated their 5 month old doctor and she passed away) but if that is what works for you, then i'm glad.
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by trevsnavywife View Post
    I have strong opinions about CIO, but that is me, I think that if you are able to have success with it, go for it! I do have to ask one thing though...I tried to CIO with Katrina and she would get SOOOOOOOO upset that she would vomit and soil her diaper to the point of explosive. Does yours? I always wondered if I was the only mom who had that happen.
    No I did NOT use CIO it didn't really work for either of my kids. Darian has sleep issues from it, and Jacob I only did it a few times when he was waking up an hour after I put him down and nothing would calm him and I needed a break.
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    follow your instincts hun. we don't believe in cio because it feels 100% wrong to me.