Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pressure to wean from Social worker and OT today

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Pressure to wean from Social worker and OT today

Advertisements
    today @ the end of my little nurslings OT session he grabbed a blanket climbed on my lap and asked to nurse. (we have OT in our home for his comfort, not that it matters I would of nursed him anywhere)

So his social worker who was there to meet with his OT (so we all three could talk about Jacob and where he is at) asked me if I planned on asking the developmental pedi how to wean him. I said no I was not sure I wanted to push him to wean since it is one of his only coping methods when he gets really stressed or upset. So then both the OT and the SW started telling me that cold turkey would be the best way and the OT suggested getting him a weighted vest or weighted blanket to replace me as a comfort item.

I tried explaining to them that American human primates do not nurse their young nearly as long as they should be when you compare them to other primates. (such as the Lion-tailed Macaque, they nurse for a year reach sexual maturity around 4 years and live around 20 so they spend 1/4 of their childhood nursing) I also explained about the WHO and world wide weaning age being 3-4 years. I explained that the benefits are the same third world nation or not and that it is a misconception that industrialized nations do not need to nurse as long.

The OT stated that she feels when they can ask for it they are too old in her opinion and my SW said that most people she know stops when the children get teeth if they go that long.

I felt very cornered and uncomfortable in my own home. I like Jacob's SW, as for the OT I don't know her well enough yet. I know I didn't click with her right away as I did with his SW but she does like Jacob.

I don't know what to do about this or what to say really. I had no intention to ask the developmental pedi about weaning she was supportive of his nursing when I talked with her (making his first appointment to be screened) and she is also into naturopathic methods so I think she would lean more to the cont nursing as long as we are both comfortable camp anyway.

Thanks for any thoughts or advice. I am used to the pressure, rolling eyes, and comments from my Mom and sisters this was a whole new ball game.
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I would've said well if I taught him to sign he could've asked at 9 months old. You keep doing what you are doing! I would suggest also mentioning what happened to the supervisors.
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Ignore them and nurse as long as YOU want. They have to right to even give their opinions on you nursing in my opinion.
  4. A Pretty Poison Flower...bringing you the sweetest juice.
    A Pretty Poison Flower...bringing you the sweetest juice.
    Me: Norfolk Him: Norfolk now, Afghanistan soon.
    Blog Entries
    I think you should do what's best for you and your little one. No one knows how to do that better than you do.

and good luck!
    Wifey to nstarsweetie and missmaaaine, pog to miraluu, and TayreehBaykur is my Mistress! Mrow! !
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Thank you I think I will tell Donna that she made me feel very uncomfortable, she is an understanding person so I think she will listen to me. I have NO idea how to approach the OT.
  6. Senior Member
    It's just the culture today. You have to do what is right fr your child, and only you know that. I'm sorry they felt the need to continue to pressure you in your home.
  7. Senior Member
    weighted vest or blanket? How bout a box of rocks!! It is not their place to tell you so I would not worry about it. You are doing a WONDERFUL job!
  8. Living in paradise :D
    Living in paradise :D
    the developmental pedi about weaning she was supportive of his nursing
    I would tell them this. That you've already discussed the continued nursing with his developmental pedi and the pedi is supportive of it. Maybe they'll back off if they hear the pedi wants you to keep going and isn't pushing you to wean yet. Sort of like the pedi is backing you up so you have no intention of weaning soon. Hopefully that'd work.

I think it's innappropriate for them to be pushing their personal nursing views on you. Even just between the 2 of them, they couldn't come to a consensus on a "reasonable" to them age to wean. The SW's friends weaned much earlier (first teeth) than the OT thought they could have gone (asking for it). They're not voicing a medical opinion or a rule, just their personal opinions on it. I think after you've told them you don't agree, they need to be proffessional and back off.
  9. Senior Member
    Im sorry they did that to you You are his mom and you know what is best !
  10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I'm sorry that they felt it was their job to tell you what to do with your child. I would either talk to them and tell them that you felt uncomfortable with being bombarded in your own home, or talk to a supervisor. Only you know what's best for you and your child. I'm sorry.
    A weighted blanket? Really? Geez
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast