Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Breastfeeding woes

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Breastfeeding woes

Advertisements
    So DD is 5 days old and I am BFing her. She has been doing well and the engorgement is finally gone thank goodness. Today has been HORRIBLE!! She doesnt like to latch on right, I know they say to have the whole aerola in her mouth but TMI mine are huge and there is no way it will all fit in there without choking her. Plus she barely gets more then just the nip in there and I have to fight to get her to latch better so she doesnt hurt me. She was eating every three hours and then at night she would go a little less the that like every 2 or 2.5 hours. But today all she has done is nurse...

She will get on and then nurse for a few minutes and then fall asleep or stop and then 40 minutes later she wants to nurse again. There was only one time that she has gone the whole 3 hours. And today was my first day home with the two of them by myself and let me tell you if this is how she is going to nurse then its not going to work I know shes getting milk but I also hate not knowing how much she is getting at a time.

I dont have a LC, I know I can call the hosp but its a decent drive away and I cant spend a ton of money on gas. I hope tomorrow is better. Any ideas on how to get her to latch better? Ive tried to hold her mouth open and latch her myself but she wont do it. And whenever she is latched perfect she lets loose and I have to re latch her.

Sorry this is more like a whine but I am so frusterated today, and I calm myself down before I nurse since I know it can make her not want to nurse if she can feel my frusteration.
  2. God is great, Beer is good and People are crazy...
    God is great, Beer is good and People are crazy...
    I am sorry you are having problems latching, Practice makes perfect. She might be getting ready for her growing spurt, My son was attached to me for about 4 or 5 days straight around 8 days. The doc said he was having a growth spurt. I hope that she gets to latching on right.
  3. Senior Member
    Deep breaths, you are doing great and so is she. It just takes time. As long as you are comfortable don't worry about getting the whole areola in her mouth. I would also try tickeling her toes to help wake her up or unbottoning clothes letting cool air hit her skin whatever to help her stay up a little longer to nurse that will let her space the feedings out. Your doing great
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I had to start nursing Bailey naked to keep her from falling asleep. Or running a cold washcloth over her cheeks. I never had a latch issue though. Good luck!!
  5. Senior Member
    Have you tried the football hold? Sometimes you can get a better latch that way, especially when you have large breasts. Other than that, all I can say is make sure her mouth is wide open and just shove as much as you can in. And if you wait until she is too upset, it makes it difficult to get a good latch also.
    Needs work.
  6. Senior Member
    Another thing. Can you get a visiting nurse to come to your house and help you out? I know we have them here.
    Needs work.
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FTCWifey View Post
    Another thing. Can you get a visiting nurse to come to your house and help you out? I know we have them here.
    I can. I have one free home visit that I can call in. We have done the football hold, in fact that is almost all I did in the hospital but it seems like since we have been home all we do is the cradle. I try rubbing her cheek or blowing on her face but the cheek only goes so far. And the blowing on her face does vitually nothing. We nursed naked in the hospital but it didnt make to much of a difference. I am hoping today was just a bad day
  8. Senior Member
    Just wanted to add it will get better
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2123wife View Post
    I can. I have one free home visit that I can call in. We have done the football hold, in fact that is almost all I did in the hospital but it seems like since we have been home all we do is the cradle. I try rubbing her cheek or blowing on her face but the cheek only goes so far. And the blowing on her face does vitually nothing. We nursed naked in the hospital but it didnt make to much of a difference. I am hoping today was just a bad day
    I hope it gets better for you too. And get on that home visit. Text me if you need anything sweetie!
    Needs work.