Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So...talk to me about homemade baby food

1. Death Before Decaf!!
    Death Before Decaf!!
    Blog Entries

Smile So...talk to me about homemade baby food

Advertisements
    Not toooo much longer and James will be eating real food. So...how much of a pita is it really to make your own? Do you find it is overly time consuming? What tools do you need for it? I've been thinking about buying the kitchenaid attachments for straining babyfood...but in all honesty I want to be sure I'm actually going to do it before I spend the money on it.

TIA ladies
    "Wine is proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin~
  2. Senior Member
    Honestly, I just used my blender, or an inexpensive baby food grinder.
  3. Twin Wrangler Extraordinaire
    Twin Wrangler Extraordinaire
    All I did was boil veggies until they were soft, then blend them up and use a little of the boiled water to keep it from getting too thick. Then drop it in ice cube trays, freeze 'em, then put two cubes in baggies for a serving. (I put four to a baggie, but I fed two at a time.) If you just spend one afternoon doing it, you can put about a months worth in the freezer.
  4. Senior Member

i enjoyed making baby food. i still do make some things but now that he has teeth, he doesn't need to have things strained and mashed as much.

i didn't buy the straining equipment. i used my own strainers...the net mesh ones.
    also, another good thing to do is make a solution to clean your veggies and fruits...i am trying to think of how exactly it's proportioned...but it's basically, vinegar, baking soda, grapefruit extract..and maybe water? it's a solution that you can spray on your veggies and fruits and it cleans off the pesticides and waxes without damaging the nutrients or eating through the skin.

annnyyywayyy, i think you'll enjoy it and you know you don't have to necessarily make everything. just some things. it'll save you money and you don't have to spend too much time on it. i would make it on the weekends and then have some for the week.
  5. Loving my soldier since '96
    Loving my soldier since '96
    I did it but I think the time and effort which as a pita at times was well worth the effort because I am a cheap-o. I pretty much made my kids the same of what everyone else ate just with out all the extra spices and etc. Actually, I did it more with the twins than my son and I think that the girls are better eaters. I don't know if that had something to do with it but if I had to do it again I would. I would make like 2 days worth at a time. Then I had a lil baby food masher that took care of the everything or just used my fork. I did the same stages as baby food...like what to eat. But I felt alot better knowing what they were eating.
    (Disclaimer: The following information is coming from a Army wife who doesn't actually know any specifics 100%. Often told to her by husband or other wise ones. Though, they all will admit that at times they dont know the specifics neither. The information received should be considered unstable and possibly flammable. Do not disseminate. )
  6. X
    X
    Making your own baby food is a great way to save $$, not to mention you know exactly what's going into baby's tummy!
    It's super easy too. You can do a weeks worth of meals in one night.
    I bought a Magic Bullet which worked great!
    Here's a great website that has some recipes & ideas: http://www.homemade-baby-food-recipes.com/

If you have any other questions, I'd love to help!
  7. Senior Member
    I agree with the other ladies.. I mostly just mashed our food, but when they were still little the ice cubes trays are great. A hour or 2 and you have frozen food for a month, plus you know it's safe and no chemicals added. The blender or even the stick blender (you use for soup) worked fine for us.
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    The first foods wasn't really all that difficult to make, I've been having a hard time to find the time to make the more invovled foods now that she is getting older. I spice most of my foods up to much for me to be comfortable feeding them to her, so it's a hassle to make completely seperate meals just for her. But all in all, it isn't too bad. It just can be time consuming.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Katheros View Post
    All I did was boil veggies until they were soft, then blend them up and use a little of the boiled water to keep it from getting too thick. Then drop it in ice cube trays, freeze 'em, then put two cubes in baggies for a serving. (I put four to a baggie, but I fed two at a time.) If you just spend one afternoon doing it, you can put about a months worth in the freezer.
    That's the way I did it too. It isn't that hard really.
  10. Death Before Decaf!!
    Death Before Decaf!!
    Blog Entries
    That sounds so simple...and it would be FABULOUS if I didn't have to buy some new kitchen accessory just for baby food. I mean, I LOVE buying new kitchen toys, but really I can't think of anything else I'd use it for. Ice cube trays are a heck of a lot cheaper LOL

Thank you so much for all the input, y'all ROCK!!

"Wine is proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin~
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast