Thread: nursing vs non-nursing

1. Senior Member

Help nursing vs non-nursing

Advertisements
    did you nurse?
    did you nurse and formula?
    or just
    formula?

tell me what you did and why...did it work out? did it work out how you expected etc? if you nursed, and had a bad experience are you sorry you didn't formula feed or what have you?

My Sweetheart

Quote Originally Posted by LoveKiss View Post
    Would you please not tempt the deployment gods?! They are vindictive and cruel.
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Breanna: I nursed and then after 6 weeks lost my supply so I switched to formula.

Johnny: I nursed for about 1 week and then he got thrush so I pumped for about 5 weeks before I lost my supply. He was formula after that.

I lost my supply the first time cause (I believe) I wasn't eating enough to sustain my supply. The 2nd time I lost it cause we moved from FL. to IL. and it threw my pumping schedule off.

Evan: I nursed and pumped for 6 months. I quit when he started to use me for a teether. He already had 8 teeth and was starting to teeth again. He got his 1st tooth right around turning 4 months. I never had a problem with his teeth til the week when I decided to quit. He went to formula and has 6 cans left before he is completely off.

I nursed cause it felt right for us. I liked the feeling of knowing I was the one feeding my child. Not saying formula isn't good (obviously, I have used it with all 3 of my kids). Just that I had a lot of pride in me being the one feeding them.

I had periods where my nipples were extremely sore, cracked, and bleeding (with the boys).

Learning to nurse while I went back to sleep was key. I didn't learn it with my first but my second made me. Even with the short period of nuring him he made me learn quick. And then with my third I never would have made it if I didn't do it. Having a 6 yr. old and 1 yr. old along with a newborn; I was beat. I would never change having nursed them.

The only things I would have changed are educating myself more with the first and making myself stick with my schedule with my second. I'm very proud of how far I made it with my third. If we had another baby I would nurse again and shoot for longer than 6 months.
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    nursing and only nursing. have no plans on using formula EVER for this baby (subsequent children we will have to see if breastfeeding goes the way it did this time). i am extremely committed to bf-ing as long as i can comfortable and a minimum of 6 months

eta: it worked 100% better than i expected it too. i expected pain and latch problems and all the other negative things you hear about and i had NONE of that
  4. Senior Member
    I have nursed all of mine, but had a very hard time with my first born. Mainly because he wasn't sure what to do (duh) and I was worried I'd not do something right so we had a rocky start. We were very lucky to have a great lactaion consultant at the ped.'s offce who saw what was happening and helped a lot. We went on to a get nursing realtionship after that. I chose to nurse for the health benifets to the baby.
  5. Mrs.Vargas & Mommy
    Mrs.Vargas & Mommy
    Blog Entries
    i nurse an di punp for when she goes to the in-laws or to my mothers or whatever when i work..i plan on doing it for atleast a year if not more..i find it works for us.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I nursed Liam until my supply ran out(I had a lot of issues, a clogged duct that got way too infected and I couldn't drain my left breast, among other things). Then we did formula.

I will nurse this one, too-hopefully without needing any of the formula this time.
  7. Senior Member

Thumbs Up Thanks Ladies

Quote Originally Posted by BLBnJVB3 View Post
    Breanna: I nursed and then after 6 weeks lost my supply so I switched to formula. Johnny: I nursed for about 1 week and then he got thrush so I pumped for about 5 weeks before I lost my supply. He was formula after that. I lost my supply the first time cause (I believe) I wasn't eating enough to sustain my supply. The 2nd time I lost it cause we moved from FL. to IL. and it threw my pumping schedule off. Evan: I nursed and pumped for 6 months. I quit when he started to use me for a teether. He already had 8 teeth and was starting to teeth again. He got his 1st tooth right around turning 4 months. I never had a problem with his teeth til the week when I decided to quit. He went to formula and has 6 cans left before he is completely off. I nursed cause it felt right for us. I liked the feeling of knowing I was the one feeding my child. Not saying formula isn't good (obviously, I have used it with all 3 of my kids). Just that I had a lot of pride in me being the one feeding them. I had periods where my nipples were extremely sore, cracked, and bleeding (with the boys). Learning to nurse while I went back to sleep was key. I didn't learn it with my first but my second made me. Even with the short period of nuring him he made me learn quick. And then with my third I never would have made it if I didn't do it. Having a 6 yr. old and 1 yr. old along with a newborn; I was beat. I would never change having nursed them. The only things I would have changed are educating myself more with the first and making myself stick with my schedule with my second. I'm very proud of how far I made it with my third. If we had another baby I would nurse again and shoot for longer than 6 months.
    So you can loose your supply and having sore, cracked and bleeding nipples does not sound fun.

Quote Originally Posted by harrisonsdream View Post
    nursing and only nursing. have no plans on using formula EVER for this baby (subsequent children we will have to see if breastfeeding goes the way it did this time). i am extremely committed to bf-ing as long as i can comfortable and a minimum of 6 months eta: it worked 100% better than i expected it too. i expected pain and latch problems and all the other negative things you hear about and i had NONE of that
    Butttt than I read that your being successful with it. So than I lean towards it.

Quote Originally Posted by amazinggrace View Post
    I have nursed all of mine, but had a very hard time with my first born. Mainly because he wasn't sure what to do (duh) and I was worried I'd not do something right so we had a rocky start. We were very lucky to have a great lactaion consultant at the ped.'s offce who saw what was happening and helped a lot. We went on to a get nursing realtionship after that. I chose to nurse for the health benifets to the baby.
    Well like anything new in life, learning curve. Sounds like you had a good consultant at the ped's office that helped. That could make or break the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by MARiNE_GIRL_<3 View Post
    i nurse an di punp for when she goes to the in-laws or to my mothers or whatever when i work..i plan on doing it for atleast a year if not more..i find it works for us.
    , so you can just pump and send it with them if you can't be with them for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Loretta View Post
    I nursed Liam until my supply ran out(I had a lot of issues, a clogged duct that got way too infected and I couldn't drain my left breast, among other things). Then we did formula. I will nurse this one, too-hopefully without needing any of the formula this time.
    Hmmm you lost your supply too, oh being clogged doesn't sound fun... but than I think there are great health benefits if I could catch on and the baby catches on, b/c 2 of the others say it's worthwhile if it works.

THANKS GIRLS!! appreciate the info...soon I'll have my own comments about it I'm sure.

My Sweetheart

Quote Originally Posted by LoveKiss View Post
    Would you please not tempt the deployment gods?! They are vindictive and cruel.
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    i had to nurse and formula feed in the beginning...i was not producing enough milk but i still wanted to breastfeed so i did it...i did that for a month and then just went straight to formula. DS also had a trouble latching on to my tits for quite sometime..
  9. Darushka
    I nursed both of mine full-time.

I was lucky with my first that I did, because he ended up having a milk and soy allergy. So by cutting out those foods in my diet, I was able to successfully feed him without going broke. That allergy free formula is wicked expensive.

I did have cracked, bleeding nipples, but that's because he had a bad latch and I didn't know. I suffered for 8 weeks and almost gave up. Then things just clicked and it was smooth sailing for the next 14 months.

Since I knew more with my 2nd, she nursed like a champ and I had no issues with my nipples. Well, except that she would only nurse on one side at a time. So I was lop-sided for a year! LOL
  10. Bex
    Banned
    Banned
    z i nursed for 2 weeks. then stopped because i was selfish and lazy and made excuses for myself for why.... i was 'too busy' (in my own head) to make such a committment and young.... and somehow felt it was "easier" to make her formula than nurse. i now see how wrong i was. (now by no means am i saying that people who don't bf are selfish and lazy. i'm being honest - i sincerely didn't want that kind of attachment/committment to the baby for myself)

ellie's been nursing and only nursing for almost 9 months. i plan to make it to at least 12 and we'll see after that. i work full time so i pump 2-3x/day and still get enough to sustain her eating habits.
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast