Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Problems with school

1. Senior Member

Problems with school

Advertisements
    I've been having problems with my daughter's school all year, and could use some advice. She is only in kindergarten, but the school says she needs to be held back. I've been asking the teacher all year what I can do at home to help her. The only thing I've been told is that I need to work with her on sight words. At a conference last month (6 weeks before school gets out) I was told that she is behind in reading, writing, and math, so she needs to be held back. For example, she is on reader 7, and she has to complete reader 15 to go to first grade. I am very angry that even though I was asking, no one told me that she was behind. Everything she is behind on, I could help her at home with. Now it is too late into the school year to do anything about it.

I am trying to decide if I should home school her, or just let her be held back. I know she isn't ready for 1st grade right now, but I think it's the schools fault for not letting me know what was going on.

There are also other things I have to consider as well. My son is supposed to go to pre-k in the fall. If I home school one, then I'm going to home school all of my kids. My hubby will be out to sea for 3-4 months of the school year. I am taking college classes online at home. My kids are 6, 3 (turns 4 in August), and 4 months. If I home school, then I get no breaks from the kids unless I get a sitter, and I'll have to do part time college instead of full time.

Any input or suggestions would be appreciated.
  2. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by navypeach View Post
    I've been having problems with my daughter's school all year, and could use some advice. She is only in kindergarten, but the school says she needs to be held back. I've been asking the teacher all year what I can do at home to help her. The only thing I've been told is that I need to work with her on sight words. At a conference last month (6 weeks before school gets out) I was told that she is behind in reading, writing, and math, so she needs to be held back. For example, she is on reader 7, and she has to complete reader 15 to go to first grade. I am very angry that even though I was asking, no one told me that she was behind. Everything she is behind on, I could help her at home with. Now it is too late into the school year to do anything about it.

I am trying to decide if I should home school her, or just let her be held back. I know she isn't ready for 1st grade right now, but I think it's the schools fault for not letting me know what was going on.

There are also other things I have to consider as well. My son is supposed to go to pre-k in the fall. If I home school one, then I'm going to home school all of my kids. My hubby will be out to sea for 3-4 months of the school year. I am taking college classes online at home. My kids are 6, 3 (turns 4 in August), and 4 months. If I home school, then I get no breaks from the kids unless I get a sitter, and I'll have to do part time college instead of full time.

Any input or suggestions would be appreciated.
    It has to be so frustrating for you for the school to be jerking you around like that. I would be complaining about that teacher (after the school year is over)! If it were my child, I think I might try my best to improve those skills before the end of the year. Is summer school an option?
    Holding children back, according to research I've done, can be detrimental to a child's self-esteem and socialization. However, I'm not a fan of children being held to the same standard, especially when they are so young. Every child is different and every child learns differently. It's a teacher's responsibility to recognize that and to help that child and the child's parents.

There are many good things about home schooling. The most important, in my mind, is avoiding hidden curriculum. But if you did so it would be important to make sure that your child was allowed to achieve peer socialization. I would talk to the mom's in the "home schooling" forum and see what they have to say. I'm kind of biased as I have a bug in my butt when it comes to our society's schooling practices.