Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Cloth Diapering thread...

1. Senior Member

Another Cloth Diapering thread...

Advertisements
    Reading the other thread got me thinking....

We are planning on trying for #2 in the very near future. I've been thinking very strongly about using cloth diapers for the next one just because of the expense and how MUCH we use= all that waste.

I have NO clue about CD....just from things I've heard. I'm concerned with how you deal with the dirty diapers. What do you do with them before you wash them. I've heard of pails of water that you put them in? I dunno if I can stomach that.

Can anyone please enlighten me with their knowledge?
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    no i use a dry pail. www.diaperpin.com has wonderful information
  3. Senior Member
    oh! Thanks! I'll go check that out!

While I'm still thinking....

Anyone care to list their opnions...pros and cons of CD? I'm just curious.
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    i love it, much less diaper rash (we used luvs in the beginning), adorable prints fabrics and colors, better for the environment, etc

cons: that ammonia smell in the morning or in the pail on wash day.
  5. Senior Member
    I went to that site you posted and I saw some informative videos.

I am really intrigued by one video the lady was saying that cloth diapering your toddler may make them potty train faster...humm....

BUT OMG It seems so confusing all the different diapers. I wonder if there is a begginers sampler package? lol
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I don't think most peeps that CD USE a wet pail anymore. For a couple reasons 1 who wants to empty dirty poo water, and 2 safety hazard for a toddler.
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by AidensMommy View Post
    I went to that site you posted and I saw some informative videos.

I am really intrigued by one video the lady was saying that cloth diapering your toddler may make them potty train faster...humm....

BUT OMG It seems so confusing all the different diapers. I wonder if there is a begginers sampler package? lol
    Kids that CD tend to be changed a lot more often then a disposable diaper. So the baby does not get used to sitting around in pee. I know my 23 month old has been telling me when he is wet by pointing at his diaper or bringing me a new one for a couple months now. He doesn't like to be in a wet diaper at all. (I change him every two hours OR when he is poopoo'd)

Lots of internet stores sell sampler packages
  8. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    I use a wetbag for my dirty diapers. You can get them from a lot of WHAM's on http://www.diaperswappers.com/ They have some really pretty ones. I put 1/2 cup of baking soda in there which is what I use in my first cold rinse cycle and I have never had a smell. I use one with a zipper and my favorite part is you throw the bag in with the diapers to be washed. I wash every other day or so. I wet the pee ones with cool water and toss in the bag and flush the poo's and rinse if needed (get a sprayer you will love it) and then throw it in the bag. This WHAM sell my favorite wet bags http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5719899.
    If you start CDing I would tryout a few brands and types first. I like prefolds with covers and pockets the best and I prefer a snappi over pins but everyone is different. Not to mention your baby will have a say and how your baby is shaped will play a big role. You are starting them off on the right foot though

Pros: potty train faster, less diaper rash if any, cheaper,

Cons: not the popular thing, one time lump starting cost, Preschools and babysitters may give you a hard time about it
  9. Senior Member
    THANK YOU SO MUCH! For all your replies!

I have another question...sorry for all the ??'s!!

Did your DH's have any problems with the decision to CD?

Me and DH were talking about it last night and he just isn't taken with the idea...he said EWWWW! LOL

His thing is washing them in the washer and germs...he doesn't think that the washer will get the water hot enough to sanitize them. Nor the washer. What do you think about that? Do you use bleach int the cycle?

I am really interested in CD...I have been...I even considered it before Aiden was born but DH nixed that idea before I could do much research on it. So now since I'm thinking about it...I think its a great way to go...especially now that I've SEEN how much we pay in diapers and feel guilty for all the waste that we accumulate...but how do I convince my hubby otherwise...

thanks!
  10. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Bleach can be used but can greatly shorten the life of your diapers. It does come in handy if you start to run into a odor problem for a stain it is best to try sunning first.

You should be able to control the temperature of your hot water so the hot water issue should be fine. Does he worry about whether his clothes get clean?

You can sanitize your washing machine every so often by running an empty wash with detergent or bleach and then a regular water wash.

(this is not mine i don't use bleach regularly but I found this one)

If you want to use bleach here is how:
    In my toploading washer:

* Use the highest heat setting for your water. Turn your water heater up if needed.
    * Add a teapot of boiling water..
    * Use a little more soap. You do want bubbles in your wash just not in your rinse.
    * Two capfuls of bleach at every wash and occasionally a whole 1/4 cup. Add it to your prerinse cycle to be sure it all rinses out. Don't want to irritate baby's skin. A must if your babies are prone to a prickley yeast rash.
    * Use baking soda in prewash also and vinegar rinse. This helps with stinkies.
    * An occasional overnight soak in Borax is nice. Helps with stains too.
    * and my favorite SUN your diapers! Sun sanitizes and treats stains.
    * When you can SUN use a HOT HOT dryer. Yes even on my pockets.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast