Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: HELP!! UTI Meds and BFing

1. Loving My Life As A Mom And Wife
    Loving My Life As A Mom And Wife
    Blog Entries

Help HELP!! UTI Meds and BFing

Advertisements
    I just got home from the ER with meds for a UTI but now I'm scared to death to breastfeed. They are both
    C - RISK CANNOT BE RULED OUT:
    Adequate,well-controlled human studies are lacking, and animal studies have shown a risk to the fetus or are lacking as well. There is a chance of fetal harm if the drug is administered during pregnancy; but the potential benefits may outweigh the potential risks.
    and I'm not sure if I should take the risk.

Has anyone taken either Pyridium (turns pee orange) or Macrobid (antibiotic) while BFing?
    Since my Gastric Bypass Surgery June 1 2009

Day of Surgery

2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.Highfill View Post
    I just got home from the ER with meds for a UTI but now I'm scared to death to breastfeed. They are both and I'm not sure if I should take the risk.

Has anyone taken either Pyridium (turns pee orange) or Macrobid (antibiotic) while BFing?
    I assume you told your health care provider that you're breastfeeding? What did your doctor say?
  3. Loving My Life As A Mom And Wife
    Loving My Life As A Mom And Wife
    Blog Entries
    I didn't get to see a doctor! We sat in the ER and they brought out a prescription and told me to ask the pharmacist if they were okay to take while breastfeeding. I asked the pharmacist who told me that they were category C drugs and that's all she said.
    Since my Gastric Bypass Surgery June 1 2009

Day of Surgery

4. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    the first pill is mainly for pain, it's not necessary to really take it if you can deal with the discomfort of the UTI till the antibiotics kick in.
    I would call the nurse line to see what the risk is for the antibiotic

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

5. Put the alphabet in order...
    Put the alphabet in order...
    I had macrobid while pregnant, so I would assume it would be ok, especially if you don't treat the UTI it will spread to your bladder and kidneys.
  6. Senior Member
    My doctor always said that most medicines are "filtered" out enough through breast milk that the actual amount the baby gets is very small. However, I would double check with the nurse just in case.
  7. alethea
    Hey you. ^.^ I'm not a doctor, but I'm a pre-med student that works at a pediatric office, so I'll tell you what I know.
    So the first one is an analgesic (the one that makes you pee orange). It shouldn't hurt your baby.
    Bactrim is probably the antibiotic that you have, as it's the one commonly given for UTIs (especially if they didn't culture your urine to see what kind of bacteria were present, or if they did and found it to just be your average stuff). Bactrim is safe for breast feeding.
    If I were you, I'd call your doctor asap. Honestly, you've got to have this treated one way or another. UTIs can become really dangerous if they spread to your kidneys. Make sure that you tell the nurse or doctor that you talk to that you're breast feeding. They'll be able to tell you if everything is ok or not. If they gave you a different antibiotic than bactrim, for example, I wouldn't start taking it until I talked to a nurse. They can change your antibiotic if they need to. HOWEVER, if you're suffering from a UTI, and you aren't going to take meds right away, you need to do something to help your bladder. I'd recommend taking vitamin C, which makes your urine acidic. Additionally, drink some cranberry juice without much sugar. That will make the walls of your bladder slick and keep the bacteria from sticking to it and possibly spreading up to your kidneys.

Also, this is a hotline that I often have heard recommended: (416) 813-6780 - Motherisk Info Line -Ask about the risk or safety of prescription and over-the-counter drugs, herbal products, chemicals, x-rays, chronic disease and infections during pregnancy and while nursing 9-5 EST