Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Selective and Delayed Vax

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Selective and Delayed Vax

Advertisements
    I know that this may sound stupid, but bear with me.

I am seriously thinking about delaying the MMR. My question is though, when you delay a vax, when do you decide to give it to them? When they have developed a better vocabulary or understanding of things around them? Or whenever you feel that they are "old enough"?

I'm sorry if I come off as stupid, but this is new to me and I just want to do what is best for my child.
  2. Senior Member
    I was a little selective with my kids on immunizations, but that was one that I got done right away. I did not want to take the chance of them getting measles, mumps, or rubbela. Also that one is VERY painful. I had it as an adult. I wanted to do it when they were little and wouldn't remember. The others though, like I said, I was pretty selective and my ped helped me decide which ones were most important and when to have em done.

Thank you, BrentsCrystal! You are amazing!
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I thought about delaying it for Ethan but in the end I got it for him and hes fine. I got Ashleys right away too. Especially since we have a measles outbreak here in CA.

I would think your ped would work with you on it etc. Just ask
  4. Community Leader
    Community Leader
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Callie View Post
    I know that this may sound stupid, but bear with me.

I am seriously thinking about delaying the MMR. My question is though, when you delay a vax, when do you decide to give it to them? When they have developed a better vocabulary or understanding of things around them? Or whenever you feel that they are "old enough"?

I'm sorry if I come off as stupid, but this is new to me and I just want to do what is best for my child.
    Not a stupid question at all! I think if I have it to do again, I will delay it until 3, and then get the regularly scheduled one at 5. But, I'm interested to see what others say.

5. Chrissie
    I would wait until after they are two years old. Our dd has no vax at all, she may get a select few, MMR won't be one of them, but if she does get any she'll get them after 2.
  6. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    Callie, you need to be VERY careful, as outbreaks can occur there in Guam periodically.
  7. Bex
    Banned
    Banned
    i agree with what victoria said. being in guam, i'd probably not chance it.
  8. Living in paradise :D
    Living in paradise :D
    We wanted to delay the chicken pox vax since we don't think chicken pox is that dangerous and we felt it could wait until she was older. We knew we wanted her to get it before she was in kindergarten, but we hadn't decided at what age yet. Then I found out she already got it! They had comined it with her 12 month MMR! I didn't even realize it! I'm sure they told me but using the medical name, it just didn't dawn on me what it actually was! I was sooo mad. So then I had to get the booster. But I delayed her second MMR vax until she was 2 1/2 (not intentionally, it just worked out that way with circumstances).
  9. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
    Callie, you need to be VERY careful, as outbreaks can occur there in Guam periodically.

I hadn't even thought of that.
  10. Senior Member
    We're still doing the MMR, from a lot of what I've read, the issue that has been made is with the shot that has all three vaccinations in one. We are going to do measles first at 12 months, mumps at 13 months and rubella at 14 months. We just want to do them separately and give them some time in between them. Of course, if he's at all sick or has been around the time of they are to be given, they will be delayed further.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast