Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Co-Sleeping Questions

1. Senior Member

Co-Sleeping Questions

Advertisements
    Hello everyone!
    I've really been thinking about co-sleeping. I think it's a fabulous idea, in theory. But how does it actually work out? I mean, I can't fall asleep in one position, I toss and turn like crazy until I hit REM. When I cuddle with the pup I'm always swinging him around to the other side lol. I can't be doing that with an infant! I also have some other questions about it

1. What about the dogs on the bed? Our oldest pup is 3 and has slept with me his whole life, I don't want to kick him out of his spot, do you think it's a problem if he just sleeps at my or DH's feet?

2. Sex. Ya can't with the baby sleepin there, so what do you do? Put the baby down to nap?

3. If the baby is sleeping with you at night, but napping in his/her crib, won't that be too inconsistent for the child?

4. I'm so afraid I'll forget the baby is there and push him/her out of bed when I get up to pee. Have you ever had that problem?

5. DH and I don't go to bed at the same time every night and I know that babies need a schedule and consistency. Has this ever been a problem for you? Usually I'm not asleep until about 3 am.

I'm sure I can come up with more. And I know that I can find the answers published on a website somewhere, but who better to learn from than women who are currently co-sleepin' mamas? I mean, for all I know it's a 50 man who is writing the article lol.

Thanks in advance!
  2. X
    X
    We've co-slept since day one.

1. Our dogs sleep in their crate. Sorry can't help you there.

2. There are PLENTY of other places to get it on

3. We co-sleep with naps as well, hey when baby slept I slept. Yes she's only 10 months now so when she naps I'll take a internet/tv break & lay down with her.

4. You'll have "mommy radar" - I don't know how to explain it. I know exactly where Z is when I'm sleeping.

5. For me, I went off of Z's schedule. She usually gets tired around 8:30/9. Falls asleep with me laying next to her. Once she's asleep I can get up and do my thing.

I loveeeee co-sleeping. All of us (including DH) get SO much sleep/rest it's awesome. Plus I love my cuddle time, I mean she's going to grow up and leave someday I'll take what I can get while I can.
  3. Banned
    Banned
    1. What about the dogs on the bed? Our oldest pup is 3 and has slept with me his whole life, I don't want to kick him out of his spot, do you think it's a problem if he just sleeps at my or DH's feet?
    Dog has to get off the bed. I also recommend getting a co-sleeper that has hard sides to keep your DH from rolling on the baby, since mothers seem to intuitively know there's a baby there, and men are sometimes less intuitive in that area.
    2. Sex. Ya can't with the baby sleepin there, so what do you do? Put the baby down to nap?
    You elsewhere, or put the little one elsewhere.
    3. If the baby is sleeping with you at night, but napping in his/her crib, won't that be too inconsistent for the child?
    Nope, not most children. Some babies do have a harder time though.
    4. I'm so afraid I'll forget the baby is there and push him/her out of bed when I get up to pee. Have you ever had that problem?
    I won't say my kid never fell off the bed, but I never PUSHED him off the bed. He hasn't co-slept since birth though. He started in a bassinet, and only really started sleeping WITH us after the SIDS risk was over (before the new data on SIDS came out). You should use an in-bed co-sleeper that keeps him/her safe from accidents, though.
    5. DH and I don't go to bed at the same time every night and I know that babies need a schedule and consistency. Has this ever been a problem for you? Usually I'm not asleep until about 3 am.
    There's no actual scientific proof one way or the other whether babies that young benefit from a schedule. It really depends on YOUR kid. My 2 yr old is up with me until about 1-2am every night, and we usually sleep until about 10am or so. It will really just depend on your child.

Forgot to add that Tandis has slept in a toddler bed since he was 12 months, but sometimes he wakes up in the middle of the night or early morning and comes to sleep in our bed again. That's not very often anymore though.
    Last edited by GlitterCrotch; 02-28-2008 at 06:11 AM.
  4. Senior Member
    We don't co-sleep anymore... DD started getting the thought that bed time was play time since mommy and daddy were there...and when she started walking- she was NOT planning on staying in bed w/ us.
    -Our dog is only 5 lbs at sleeps at our feet...so he was never an issue...
    -We had a bassinet in our room...when we wanted to "do it" we would put her in there and turn her little mobil on and she was content as could be!!! And then after the snuggleing was over, we brought her back in for a different kind of snuggle!!
    - DD actually usually napped in her basinet (which had wheels so I could bring it where ever I went) Or she slept in my arms and I would take a nap too! If we DID put her in her crib- she never showed signs of being confused...sleep was sleep to her...
    - Like the other ladies were saying about "mommy radar"- you can totally be in a comfortable sleep, yet you are ALWAYS aware where the baby is. If DD even so much as made a noise while sleeping, I was awake- it didn't matter how deep of a sleep I was in! Also, they have little bumber like things you can put the baby in between so it prevents them from being rolled over on- we never used those, but I know people who have and have been happy w/ them!!
    - At first DH and I went to bed at the same time...but then it did become different schedules... It never seemed to faze DD though...as long as she was in mommy's arms, she was happy!

I LOVED co-sleeping with DD! (Not going to lie though, I'm sure glad she's in her crib now!! Little booger... ) But it is so nice to think back to the days when she would cuddle w/ us.... Ahh, such innocence!
    LOVIN' MY LIFE AS A MOM AND A WIFE!
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flowerchild View Post
    Hello everyone!
    I've really been thinking about co-sleeping. I think it's a fabulous idea, in theory. But how does it actually work out? I mean, I can't fall asleep in one position, I toss and turn like crazy until I hit REM. When I cuddle with the pup I'm always swinging him around to the other side lol. I can't be doing that with an infant! I also have some other questions about it

1. What about the dogs on the bed? Our oldest pup is 3 and has slept with me his whole life, I don't want to kick him out of his spot, do you think it's a problem if he just sleeps at my or DH's feet? Can't help you on this one...we don't have doggies

2. Sex. Ya can't with the baby sleepin there, so what do you do? Put the baby down to nap? YOU MOST CERTAINLY CAN!!! Our DS will fall asleep and we get it on...sure you can't flop all over the bed and stuff, but a quickie can be done!! Our DS won't go into his crib so we get it on where we gotta, and sometimes I'm not getting out of bed!! Also, remember that if you are actively having sex while pregnant that will lull the LO to sleep...effect works the same when they are laying in the bed, it helps them stay asleep....

3. If the baby is sleeping with you at night, but napping in his/her crib, won't that be too inconsistent for the child?To each thier own, I personally nap with my LO, because I have issues with sleeping, I have to get my nap in...I don't think it inconsistant because your little one will understand over time the way it works...

4. I'm so afraid I'll forget the baby is there and push him/her out of bed when I get up to pee. Have you ever had that problem?I put a bed rail up, now that LO is older, should I switch sides at night while nursing, but when the LO was first born, I didn't and he was always inbetween DH and I. DH says, "Its crazy it's like your mind remmebers they are there, because I never thought I could sleep with a newborn there w/o fear of squishing them!!"

5. DH and I don't go to bed at the same time every night and I know that babies need a schedule and consistency. Has this ever been a problem for you? Usually I'm not asleep until about 3 am. SCHEDULE SMESDULE! Your baby will let you know when they are tired and thus you put them down. I can assure you one of thing...your 3 am nights...will end after birth! you will sleep when you can day or night!!!! I got to bed at 8 when I put DD up in her room (she's 3) I take DS in with me and we got to bed, it's not so much routine as it is ease of handling DD and DS.

I'm sure I can come up with more. And I know that I can find the answers published on a website somewhere, but who better to learn from than women who are currently co-sleepin' mamas? I mean, for all I know it's a 50 man who is writing the article lol.

Thanks in advance!

I want to add that these are my opinions. I don't believe in schedules set by parents and such, for the most part I am a child led rearing person.
  6. Navy Wife
    Navy Wife
    1. What about the dogs on the bed? Our oldest pup is 3 and has slept with me his whole life, I don't want to kick him out of his spot, do you think it's a problem if he just sleeps at my or DH's feet? If he respects his spot on the bed and stays there then great. I have a cat that sleeps in bed at the foot and we had no problem

2. Sex. Ya can't with the baby sleepin there, so what do you do? Put the baby down to nap? DH wasn't here when I was co-sleeping with Weston, that started after he went back to Japan

3. If the baby is sleeping with you at night, but napping in his/her crib, won't that be too inconsistent for the child? That's how I transitioned him back to sleeping in the crib, it was great he started taking long naps in his crib, now he does most of his long sleeping in the crib

4. I'm so afraid I'll forget the baby is there and push him/her out of bed when I get up to pee. Have you ever had that problem? Mommy radar prevented that, I knew where he was at all times

5. DH and I don't go to bed at the same time every night and I know that babies need a schedule and consistency. Has this ever been a problem for you? Usually I'm not asleep until about 3 am. I went to sleep when he was ready, we still go to sleep when he's ready, he's ormed the schedule not me, it's made for longer sleep

We co-slept for about 6 weeks and it was great it got me a lot more sleep, I made the decision to switch him to the crib mainly because I get better sleep in bed by myself, he is a wild sleeper If he wasn't accepting of the transition we would have waited until he was ready.
  7. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    1. What about the dogs on the bed? Our oldest pup is 3 and has slept with me his whole life, I don't want to kick him out of his spot, do you think it's a problem if he just sleeps at my or DH's feet? I didn't have dogs while I co-slept so no advice, but i would suggest NOW starting a new routine for your pup rather then right when the baby gets here to avoid making it harder on you and the dog.

2. Sex. Ya can't with the baby sleepin there, so what do you do? Put the baby down to nap? we didn't just have sex at night so there was no issue there.

3. If the baby is sleeping with you at night, but napping in his/her crib, won't that be too inconsistent for the child? Nope i never had a problem between napping in the crib and co-sleeping at night. some might, but its kinda cross that bridge type of thing.

4. I'm so afraid I'll forget the baby is there and push him/her out of bed when I get up to pee. Have you ever had that problem? I worried too because I was a heavy sleeper, but being a mom you kinda have that mom thing that lets you know, plus after having my first i became the worlds lightest sleeper.

5. DH and I don't go to bed at the same time every night and I know that babies need a schedule and consistency. Has this ever been a problem for you? Usually I'm not asleep until about 3 am. After the baby is born you will develop your own schedule, it may or may not be the same as your dh's. I did a different kind of co-sleeping, they started off in the crib but if they woke up at night they wound up in our room to sleep the rest of the night. you find what works for you.

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

8. *Too Blessed To Be Stressed*
    *Too Blessed To Be Stressed*
    Good Luck Sweetie!
    My DH is adamently against co-sleeping and hasn't budged his thinking in 2 years and says if I co-sleep he will get an air mattress in the babies room. Men...
    I co-slept with Jerron because his Dad was out at sea alot and then we seperated when he was very young (8mths) So, I didn't have anyone to answer to then. Unfortunantly for us Jerron would not nap or sleep on his own unless he was in our arms or bed from birth till almost 3 when DH and I got married and our own place then he was fine in his own room.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by *~*Cori*~* View Post
    Good Luck Sweetie!
    My DH is adamently against co-sleeping and hasn't budged his thinking in 2 years and says if I co-sleep he will get an air mattress in the babies room. Men...
    Trev was like that, but let me tell ya, that first night home, when I pulled Katrina in to the bed and let him nurse while I went ot sleep, Trev was sold!!
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    1. What about the dogs on the bed?
    Sorry we have no dogs we had a cat (he had to be put to sleep as he became very ill this spring) and it worked out fine the cat slept on the end of the bed. I HAVE coslept at my Mom's house but we locked the dogs out of the room I was in.

2. Sex.
    You don't need to make love in the bedroom, leads to adventures of the sexual kind. There is the living room, the bathroom, the kitchen the possibilities are endless LOL

Nope it wasn't for us. Jacob napped in the bassinet and then slept with me at night. Although now he is napping on the sofa and sleeping most of the night in his crib.

4. I'm so afraid I'll forget the baby is there and push him/her out of bed when I get up to pee.
    No I always knew he was there. The first ngiht he slept in his crib though I woke up when he cried and freaked because I could not find him. (for about 15 very disorintated sleepy seconds) parents that take sleeping pills, drink heavily/often, use recreational drugs are the parents that tend to accidently smotther their child. Regular average parents you KNOW where your baby is. (nothing wrong with sleeping pills if you need them cosleeping and sleeping pills just are not a good mix.)

I don't put my kiddos on a "schedule" until after they are one year old. As infants we go with the flow of things. Feed on demand etc. You can use the bassinet and put the baby to sleep and then during one of the times he/she wakes to be fed if it is around your bedtime just feed baby and then go to bed. KWIM? You don't have to put the baby in your bed and go to sleep at 7pm. The baby can sleep in the bassinet until you are ready for bed yourself if that is something that works for your family. Every family develops their own way of life.

Also if you are a night owl your baby may be one too.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast