Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WIC and BreastFeeding

1. *Too Blessed To Be Stressed*
    *Too Blessed To Be Stressed*

Question WIC and BreastFeeding

Advertisements
    I know that they ask you if you are going to BF or Formula feed when you add the baby on to your WIC. But, if you plan on BFing what do they give you for your WIC? I know that if you don't BF you get formula and later on cereal, but what about when you BF? I never thought about that.
  2. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by *~*Cori*~* View Post
    I know that they ask you if you are going to BF or Formula feed when you add the baby on to your WIC. But, if you plan on BFing what do they give you for your WIC? I know that if you don't BF you get formula and later on cereal, but what about when you BF? I never thought about that.
    I think they still give YOU stuff like they did when you were pregnant and then cereal after a certain age. Don't quote me on that though, I don't know for sure
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    OH I know I just talked with them when doing a paper for my class LOL. They are ALL about BF now. They can rent you a pump, the have LC's (they are not allowed by law to push or even advertise formula) support groups, reading material, etc. (At least Tucson offices do) The LC here was very very very big on BF there were also breastfeeding posters (info posters and posters of mom's breastfeeding (and not all covered up either I was VERY impressed) all over the waiting room, office, and cubicles.

The LC's cubicle had posters plus pictures of real Moms along with their thank you notes and she also had pictures of some of the kiddos when they were older so I am guessing she is very likable. (I found her to be)

WIC has changed SO much since the short time I had my oldest on it back when he was an infant.

They also still give you all the things you got when you were pregnant. Not sure exactly what those are but you still get them.

Here is the breastfeeding part of their website: http://www.fns.usda.gov/wic/Breastfe...ngmainpage.HTM
  4. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Green~Mammy View Post
    OH I know I just talked with them when doing a paper for my class LOL. They are ALL about BF now. They can rent you a pump, the have LC's (they are not allowed by law to push or even advertise formula) support groups, reading material, etc. (At least Tucson offices do) The LC here was very very very big on BF there were also breastfeeding posters (info posters and posters of mom's breastfeeding (and not all covered up either I was VERY impressed) all over the waiting room, office, and cubicles.

The LC's cubicle had posters plus pictures of real Moms along with their thank you notes and she also had pictures of some of the kiddos when they were older so I am guessing she is very likable. (I found her to be)

WIC has changed SO much since the short time I had my oldest on it back when he was an infant.

They also still give you all the things you got when you were pregnant. Not sure exactly what those are but you still get them.
    That's how the WIC office I went to when I had my oldest 5 1/2 years ago was.
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Caimbrie View Post
    That's how the WIC office I went to when I had my oldest 5 1/2 years ago was.
    I was back east and it was a "office" on base and they were only in the rec center on Tuesdays twice a month. They were not very nice.
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Here is the main WIC site http://www.fns.usda.gov/wic/
  7. Senior Member
    I got extra milk, cheese and veggies for me since I was nursing. They are very pro-breastfeeding and it really helped me stick with it!
  8. *Too Blessed To Be Stressed*
    Thanks Sweetie!
    I wish our WIC office was like that! They have a grumpy old lady working the desk and she is like a mute. They dont care if you FF or BF they just ask and give you the formula. I don't think they even have a LC on staff... I have never seen one or heard of one there. Then again this is a smaller rural area....our WIC office is in the run down looking health dept.
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I think it sucks so much that WIC offices vary so much from place to place!
  10. *Too Blessed To Be Stressed*
    Thats really neat they give you stuff for yourself if you decide to BF! That will come in handy. I get WIC for Jer now but he turns 5 in Dec so no more help with milk and such. I have an apt to get on WIC for this pregnancy tomorrow morning. Will I get the same kind of things Jer does?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast