Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: OUCH my nipples

1. Proud Submariner's Wife
    Proud Submariner's Wife

OUCH my nipples

Advertisements
    So our first night home, my little girl was constantly on the boob trying to get full since my milk wasn't in yet. Now, my nipples are so sore and I'm trying desperately to get them to heal up so I can enjoy breastfeeding more. I'm trying to make sure she's latching on properly and she might at first, then always ends up sucking just the nipple....OUCH. Any tips from you experts?
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    have you used lanolin to help with the soreness?
    Katie- Mommy to Kylee 10-30-05 (loving big sister, Ms. independent, intelligent, princess) and Auriana 09-17-08 (miracle baby with down syndrome, heart defects, hearing impairment, digestive problems, tube fed since birth, but determined to succeed, strong, loving, happy)

Ask me about Congenital Heart Defects... 1 in 100, it could be your child...

Ask me about Down Syndrome... more common than you think...

Wife to a Disabled Army Veteran... been there, done that, moving on
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Keep repositioning her if you have to. Air out your nipples and use lanolin.

I have a whole tube of Lansinol if you would like it.
  4. Senior Member
    First off make sure you have a good latch! And when you remove her from your breast make sure you break the suction by sticking a finger in between her lips and your breast before pulling her off. When you are finished a feeding express a few drops of your milk and rub it in to your nipples and then let them air dry. Allow them to stay free of any clothing for as long as you can. That is all I can remember, it has been 7 years!
    Needs work.
  5. Punchie
    Get some nipple shields. Those things were live savers for me. Lanolin helps, but sometimes you just need to get some air and not have your bra touching your nipples. LOL...and you can't walk around braless/shirtless all the time!
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed

almost your entire areola should be in her mouth as far as I remember for a good latch & you can also express some milk & rub it on your nipple & then let it dry-It works wonders
  7. Proud Submariner's Wife
    Proud Submariner's Wife
    Thanks for the tips. They seem to be getting better since I'm trying my best to make sure shes latching on well. She likes to pull her head back while still clamped down on my nipple which makes for some pain, but she's doing better. I'm using lanolin and it's helping too. I think it mostly is from her only wanting the small part of the nipple not the whole aerola in her mouth. I'll keep working on it. Hopefully they will heal up and she will get better with practice and we'll both be happy.
  8. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeGirl View Post
    almost your entire areola should be in her mouth as far as I remember for a good latch & you can also express some milk & rub it on your nipple & then let it dry-It works wonders
    and lanolin works great too. also don't wear any synthetic fabrics
  9. Rockin the world like never before!!
    Rockin the world like never before!!
    UGh i remember when DD was breastfeeding..my nipples got so bad they were cracking and bleeding...and she just WOULDN"T latch on right!! It's frusterating but ll these ladies gave youawesome advice
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    if she goes off track latching break the latch and try again. Also letting your nipples air dry and expressing milk and coating your nipples will make it better. Once she learns to latch and stay on that latch it will get better. I'm sorry it's been so painful..honestly I don't know what that's like ds was a pro from the beginning and I had no pain whatsoever so I can't imagine people who do experience pain. Hope it gets better soon
    I am down 10lbs in 6 days!!! PM me if you want to try your very own FREE sample!!!!