Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Breastfeeding after 1yr

1. Proud Seabee wife!
    Proud Seabee wife!

Breastfeeding after 1yr

Advertisements
    Ok so Annabelle is 13 months now and Im slowly wanting to wean her from some of the feedings. Since DH just deployed shes kinda regressed though. So I am giving her a few more weeks then I'm going to try to again.
    Which feedings did you give up first?
    And how many are still nursing their older babies?
    I plan on nursing her till around 2 at the most.
  2. Bex
    Banned
    Banned
    i don't have an older, nursing child but from what some of my friends and other ladies on other boards have seemed to do is wean from daytime feedings, and nurse at night and in the morning... just a suggestion!! kudos for making it 13 months
  3. Proud Seabee wife!
    Proud Seabee wife!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bex View Post
    i don't have an older, nursing child but from what some of my friends and other ladies on other boards have seemed to do is wean from daytime feedings, and nurse at night and in the morning... just a suggestion!! kudos for making it 13 months
    Thanks. Thats actually what im kinda doing now without even trying. But sometimes shes the opposite just wanting to keep going. Some days she has not much of a food appetite so I figure that this way shes still getting more nutrients.
  4. maggiesmom816
    We nixed all feeding excluding the ones right after wake-up and right before bedtime pretty quickly, as Maggie decided it would be marvelous to bite HARD when nursing. I just told her 'boop' was all gone until bedtime (or morning, whichever) and would offer her a snack/drink in it's place as well as keeping her preoccupied. (She hasn't nursed during the night since she was 10 mo) She also regressed during the move and on our recent emergency plane ride back home (she would suck almost continuously even though there was no milk...just for comfort), but as soon as our schedule evened out, 'boop' was back to being all gone. I'm going to initiate the weaning of the last two feedings around 24 months if she's still going (she's 18 mo now), I think. I honestly thought I was going to be done, done, done by 12 mo. I waver back and forth between wanting it to be over and not, so until I know for certain, I'm letting her guide the issue.

Oh, and for the night time feeding, it's suggested that if that is the last thing you do in your routine before laying her down that you move it up. For example, if your schedule went bath, teeth, book, nurse, bed...change it to bath, teeth, nurse, book, bed or some other variation so that it's easier to phase it out and replace it (if you choose) with something else.
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Miss K is 14 months old and I am still nursing her. When she bf really depends on what she wants. I always bf in the mornings and a couple times throughout the day. Since for the past week or so she has eaten dinner at her great grandparents house I haven't really fed her in the evenings though. I just really take my cues from her and what she wants
    An unconditional right to say what one pleases about public affairs is what I consider to be the minimum guarantee of the First Amendment.
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Jacob is 20 months this upcoming week and I still nurse him. I don't offer (except first thing in the morning and right before nap/bedtime) and I (most times) don't refuse if he "asks" (he doesn't talk yet so he has speech therapy). Although I have now started offering him a cup of water if I am busy say for example his ST is over and he gets frustrated with her and wants nannies to feel better I will tell him "no, not right now in a few minutes", or if I am cooking dinner or some other meal. I also do not NIP with him anymore because he does not nurse in public for hunger but for comfort if he falls or gets a bump at the play ground. So I comfort him in other ways.

It is complicated LOL. I take my cues from him and for a while he wasn't nursing in the evenings at all. I am thinking he will wean soon on his own. Especially with him going to day care three days a week so I can go back to school. Some days he hardly nurses at all others he wants to nurse a lot.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    When I was weaning was when he was sucking just because he wanted to. Not to eat. That was enough. I started cutting it out at night...then once during the day..then another. That is what worked for us.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz