Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Breastfeading question

1. Regular Member

Breastfeading question

Advertisements
    How can you tell if your baby is getting enough? DS is four weeks old and was 12 pounds 7 ounces at birth and I have been breastfeeding him.. I am concerned because he still isn't back to his birth wieght but he is gaining, and the dr keeps having me bring him in at least once a week to be wieghed..

They won't say anything to me one way or another about it.. so I am worried that I am not making enough.. any help/advice would be greatly appreciated thanks!
  2. HMCS Wife
    HMCS Wife
    is he having plenty of wet diapers?
  3. HMCS Wife
    HMCS Wife
    here is a good website I hope it helps you

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/enough-milk.html
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    for me as long as he's gaining at least 8-10oz they say a week and having enough wet diapers then I don't worry. DS gains on avg about 2lbs a month but is starting to slow down. I know he's getting enough because he has adequate amounts of wet diapers daily and is full at the end of eating. I do have a friend who's son was born at 8lbs 3oz and at 8 weeks was ONLY 8lbs 13oz. Her dr. is concerned that her milk is not enough to have him gain and has had him now on formula and bm to supplement. Good luck if you have any questions PM me`
    I am down 10lbs in 6 days!!! PM me if you want to try your very own FREE sample!!!!
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Mine had his "newborn" check yesterday and they said the same thing to me. He has lost 9% of his body fat and they get concerned when it's 10%. He also hasn't had enough wet diapers. So I have to bring him in again today (not sure what that's going to do). But the dr told me I should supplement with formula until he gains some weight (their good pediatricians at the office too, so I'm not going to knock them for saying that) b/c until the milk comes in, he might not be getting enough. Obviously your milk is in though.

She said the signs are so many wet diapers and you (since yours is 4 weeks old) should see so many stools a day. I can't believe they didn't tell you what signs to look for I don't know how many you should see since your babys age is different than mine, but I would call them and specifically ask them those questions and what to look for.
  6. Senior Member
    Your biggest key is the dirty dipes. Also, contact your local LLL leader or even a Lactation Consultant in your area. Your MD might base alot of what they expect on formula based guidelines and a breastfed baby doesn't always fit in there. Check Kellymom too like the previous poster put up, alot of answers can be found there.

How often are you nursing? How long does your LO nurse for? Do you let them nurse until they stop or are you trying to do it in a specific period of time...Aidan nursed for 1 hour at a time at first, and has since gotten much more proficiant. It's natural to breastfeed but we still have to find our groove, both mommy & baby.
  7. Put the alphabet in order...
    Put the alphabet in order...
    Mine took a month to get over his birth weight, but he had jaundice very bad and lost almost 2 lbs in the first week. There are totally different guidelines for BF babies than formula fed, so sometimes doctors get too worried too soon. Keep with the bfeeding if that's what you want to do, and if you do offer bottles, make sure to offer after he's already emptied your breasts.
  8. Regular Member
    Thank you all for hte great advice ladies.. he is making like 10 wet diapers a day and he eats like 10 times a day.. I think that the drs concern has me freaking out about my supply. I am not giving up though.. I really want to make this work!!