Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much should a 5 week old need?

1. Put the alphabet in order...
    Put the alphabet in order...

How much should a 5 week old need?

Advertisements
    So, we have had our share of issues in the past 5 weeks. Breastmilk jaundice, which is no fun, blisters, cracked and bleeding nipples, so I've done a lot of pumping. I usually get 4-5 oz per session (every 2 hours) if I pump, if he nurses he'll nurse each side 15-20 minutes usually. So, is 4-5 oz enough, or am I not producing enough? Also, what do you do to heal your cracked, bleeding nipples? I've been applying breastmilk, lanolin and those gel packs to seal the sores, but they hurt so badly during let down, it's not even funny!
  2. Senior Member
    I dont know the answer to how much they need. But when my nipples hurt from BFing I used soothies. It made them feel so much better.
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    i would go back to your hospital and talk to your lactation consultant. i dunno about the amount but i do know that baby is much more effective at getting milk than the pump. good luck just make sure your baby's latch is not very good.
  4. Proud Seabee wife!
    Proud Seabee wife!
    Your latch isnt right...do what Jill suggested and get in touch with a lactation person....if your latch was right you wouldnt be getting cracked nipples and all.
  5. HMCS Wife
    HMCS Wife
    Just like the other ladies said his latch isn't good if that is happening. You need to go and talk to someone. Just keep at it and it will get better. I had a really rough time with Reilly and he was #3 that I BF. I just kept at it and it has gotten so much better.
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    If I remember correctly Evan ate about 3 ozs. every 2-3 hours, give or take, at 5 weeks.

The bleeding and cracking could be from his latch or it could be from the pump. I cracked almost completely around both my nipples from my pump. I was constantly lathering up with lanolin and not wearing bras for a few days. I quit pumping and just nursed. The pumping made it worse. If it is caused by him then def. seek help from a laction consultant.
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    You can't tell how much milk HE is getting by how much you get pumping. The baby is WAY better at getting your milk to let down and really flow then a pump will ever be.

Is he wetting enough diapers? Gaining weight? Hydrated? If the answer to those questions are yes then he is getting enough milk.

Put lanolin or lanoish on your nipples and try just nursing him instead of pumping. That way if his latch is poor you can perfect it with him. I know it hurts my nipples cracked but I coated them with lanoish and worked on the latch. They healed pretty fast after we fixed his latch. I recommend talking with an LC or LLL person and then having a day or two where you hold your own little nurse in. The frequent nursing will help you fix his latch AND will increase your flow.

Good Luck the first 2 months can be very difficult. At least they were for me. ((((HUGS))))

Also the pain COULD be caused by Thrush in your nipples. The cracked nipples could of allowed some yeast in there. Are they itchy at all? Does the pain go away after the first couple minutes or is it steady? If it is steady I am leaning towards Thrush. In that case you would need to see your DR for some meds. Also going topless and getting some natural sunlight on your breasts will help. Frequent washing of your bras as well. Does the baby have white patches on his tongue/cheeks? A diaper rash that you can not get rid of? (those are signs of thrush most times if he has it you will too)
  8. Put the alphabet in order...
    Put the alphabet in order...
    Thanks for the tips, his latch is fine, it's his release from nursing that isn't so great sometimes, hence the nasty blister he gave me on the tip, which popped and caused the bleeding. Once our holiday company is gone, I will definitely go around bra-less. I don't think it's thrush, since the pain goes away after a minute or so of nursing.
  9. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I hope the nursing starts going better!
  10. Bex
    Banned
    Banned
    cracked and bleeding nipples is a sign of poor latch. as for a 5 week old, it varies per baby. as long as he's getting enough wet / soiled diapers per day, you shouldn't worry. also, pumping output has very little to do with what they consume. my 4 month old eats about 3-6 oz at a time when she eats BM out of a bottle (at daycare) but she's more than doubled her birth weight and has more than enough wet/dirty diapers... and i've been told it's because i have good, rich BM... and when i pump i get 8-12+ oz... and i KNOW she doesn't eat that much... so pumping has nothing to do with how much your baby is eating.... just watch for the diapers and perhaps see a lactation consulatant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast