Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BF'ing

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

BF'ing

Advertisements
    I have been thinking a lot about this and thought you could give me insight.

I want to breastfeed for at least a short while, but I'm concerned about how little sleep you get, according to your posts. I tried BF'ing her for a week so I didn't get the full experience and it was more so me pumping during the day, every 3 hrs.

I don't see how you can manage to care for a 2 yr old, newborn, do school work, and then the rest of your normal daily activity if your not getting sleep at night? The fact that they can nurse every 1-2 hrs for the first 3 months is intimidating. And it's more so the fact that I'd have another child to take care of that requires a lot of energy, rather than how can I do my school work and all that.

Yes, I know it's best for the baby but if I can barely function during the day, than it's not best for our family.

So do I just have an unrealistic image in my head? There's breast feeding going on everyday, so I know it has to be manageable, but I need a dose of reality if that really isn't how it is (you being so tired you can barely function).

And I will not co-sleep. I am way too paranoid of rolling over on top of him in a deep sleep b/c I'm exhausted, even if everyone says it's "your instinct" not to. I won't take any chances. He'll be next to us or even in one of those co-sleepers, but I'm not laying him right next to me while I sleep and he nurses.
  2. I love being Mommy
    I love being Mommy
    I know what you mean. I am feeling the same way.
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickschic View Post
    I know what you mean. I am feeling the same way.
    Glad I'm not alone...figured people would think I was stupid for thinking that
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    You'll get the same amount, or lack there of, if you bottle feed..

5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by RockinMama View Post
    You'll get the same amount, or lack there of, if you bottle feed..
    Not really...My daughter woke up about every 3-4 hrs from 1-3 months and she was FF'ing. Granted, he could be different and if so, than there'd be no issues.
  6. *Mrs. Bonney*
    *Mrs. Bonney*
    I breastfeed Rhyann when she came home from the hospital and then we started bottle feeding not long after. To me it doesnt matter which one you do, your going to be exhausted. Rhyann is 3 months old and STILL wakes up every three hours, and shes bottle fed. So really it doesnt matter what you feed them, they are going to wake up to eat when they are hungry. I will say after a little while you get used to the exhaustion and you are able to function normally. One night I got 5 straight hours of sleep and it was too much and I wasnt able to function normally the next day. Your body will get used to it and you will do great!
  7. *Mrs. Bonney*
    *Mrs. Bonney*
    Quote Originally Posted by Rach View Post
    Not really...My daughter woke up about every 3-4 hrs from 1-3 months and she was FF'ing. Granted, he could be different and if so, than there'd be no issues.
    Rhyann ate every three hours being BF and eats every 3 hours being bottle fed.
  8. Rockin the world like never before!!
    Rockin the world like never before!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rach View Post
    I have been thinking a lot about this and thought you could give me insight.

I want to breastfeed for at least a short while, but I'm concerned about how little sleep you get, according to your posts. I tried BF'ing her for a week so I didn't get the full experience and it was more so me pumping during the day, every 3 hrs.

I don't see how you can manage to care for a 2 yr old, newborn, do school work, and then the rest of your normal daily activity if your not getting sleep at night? The fact that they can nurse every 1-2 hrs for the first 3 months is intimidating. And it's more so the fact that I'd have another child to take care of that requires a lot of energy, rather than how can I do my school work and all that.

Yes, I know it's best for the baby but if I can barely function during the day, than it's not best for our family.

So do I just have an unrealistic image in my head? There's breast feeding going on everyday, so I know it has to be manageable, but I need a dose of reality if that really isn't how it is (you being so tired you can barely function).

And I will not co-sleep. I am way too paranoid of rolling over on top of him in a deep sleep b/c I'm exhausted, even if everyone says it's "your instinct" not to. I won't take any chances. He'll be next to us or even in one of those co-sleepers, but I'm not laying him right next to me while I sleep and he nurses.
    I only bf my daughter for 2 weeks...but with this one i plan on breastfeeding and bottel feeding so i can get some sleep (i'm going tohave a 1 year old and a newborn with no hubby) so i understand your worries..but maybe you should try doing that so at least you'll get an extra hour or 2 of sleep..just a though!!!
  9. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I just stopped BFing Evan and he is 6 months. He'll be 7 months on Monday. I wanted to go longer but he decided with teething I'm a chew toy and literally just about ripped my one nipple off. After that I said I'm done.

I def. know what you are thinking. Johnny was 19 months when Evan was born. I'm not going to lie or sugar coat this; it was hard as hell. I was extremely lucky to get 4 hours of sleep a night for the first 1-2 months. And they were not together. When he was 5 months he started to sleep through the night and went into his crib. Up to that point I co-slept with him so I could get some sleep.

I'm dumb when it comes to this co-sleeper so is this something that goes on the side of the bed? Like something that attaches to it but they aren't IN bed with you? If so is there an opening that you could nurse him while you sleep that way so you don't have to worry about rolling over on him? What about pumping at least one bottle so you hand off one feeding a night?

It took me a long time to get used to having 3 kids. My house was a wreck for awhile cause I had to get the hang of caring for the kids, doing everything else, trying to get some sleep, and doing what I had to do on the little sleep I did get. It was a huge adjustment. I found stuff I could do while holding him; general picking up, loading and unloading the washer and dryer, unloading the dishwasher, etc. The other stuff I would do when he slept. People say to sleep when they sleep but unfortunately that is not always possible when you have other kids. So if the other 2 were still up I used that time to clean, make dinner, etc. Oh, and dinner, I would make a big amount so we would have leftovers. That helped alot, not having to worry about dinner everyday. Nursing, itself, though for us was really no big deal and we fit it in just like if had formula fed. There were times Evan was latched on and Johnny got into something so I had to carry Evan while he was nursing over to Johnny to get him out of whatever it was.

All I can say is if you really want to then try it. It will take some getting used to and adjusting to fit into your life but if you want to then you can do it. But if you feel it is not right for you then don't sweat it. If you aren't happy baby will pick up on that. So if you decide not to or to stop then don't beat yourself up about it.

I hope that helped some. I'm not sure if I really answered your question. Good Luck.
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    My son eat every 4 hours while BF. My DH told me the other day (after working in nursery) that we are NOT formula feeding our child unless there is no other opeion. He got grossed out by the FF burps. I laughed.

to me it was less hassle to BF the formula feed. By the time you mix up the bottle, warm it up, feed them, put the leftovers back...blah blah blah.

Do what you feel is best. I am just happy if you did it the 2 weeks!
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast