Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How long to Breastfeed

1. Yup... you STILL suck!
    Yup... you STILL suck!
    Blog Entries

How long to Breastfeed

Advertisements
    I am just curious for those of you who did/do breatfeed, How long do you do it for?? I nursed my first til she was 13 months and with Nate I was in ICU for 2 weeks so I couldn't... How old is too old??

There is a woman on another board who nurses her 2 and almost 3.5 year old.. and she is expecting again.. So what is a good age to stop??

The true hypocrite is the one who ceases to perceive his deception, the one who lies with sincerity. ~André Gide
  2. X
    X
    That is up to each individual mother. I think that mothers should continue breastfeeding as long as she & the baby/child want to.

The AAP recommends that babies should be breast fed until at least 12 months.
  3. *~Mrs. L~*
    *~Mrs. L~*
    Blog Entries
    YIKES..3.5 years old is just way too old! I have no answer to your question but had to comment on that.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I breast fed my youngest, till she was 2 years and 3 months, but in the last year it was only nap time and night time, then night time, then one night she got into bed and rolled over and then it was over....not easy...people look at you strange, but out of the 2 of mine girls, she has only been on antibiotics 1 in her life of 10 years, her sister is 13 and only breast fed for 6 weeks..
    it is your decision, there is nothing wrong with it....it depends on who you talk to...it is demanding, those boobs are not yours alone until you are done, so you are constantly sharing them with the kids and your spouse...but it is well worth it....its your business not anyone elses...go for it...
  5. Senior Member
    The WHO recommends 2 years. We did 17.5 months and wish we had gone longer. It is truly up to you and your baby BUT the longer the better for them. You might not enjoy it as much as they get older but rememeber they are a baby only once.
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Unfortuantly I only breastfed my son for 4.5 months and I fought to do it that long. My milk never came in with him and he lost weight despite me feeding on demand, pumping inbetween, fenugreek, oatmeal, etc

I breastfed my daughter for 6 weeks. Although my milk did come in I was scared to death of having the same problems as I did with my son so I went ahead and started weaning her early on.

Ideally I woulda liked to of BF both of them until a year old or until they were ready to stop.
  7. Community Leader
    Community Leader
    Blog Entries
    My goal was a year. However, Laney got teeth at 7 months and started biting and I went back to work and dried up. I would have liked to go for the full year. I may have even gone til 18 months, but I wouldn't have been comfortable going any longer.
    Last edited by LaneyBug; 12-07-2007 at 09:05 AM.

8. Senior Member
    I weaned my son when he was 6 weeks. I really wanted to BF for a year, but I was having a really rough time after my C-section.
  9. Bex
    Banned
    Banned
    i want to try to go to at least a year... maybe longer, maybe shorter... we'll see, but for now, the goal is at least 12 mo
  10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    The first goal I had set myself was at least 12 months and that from there I'd decide if I'd go longer or not. My new goal is to bf until Miss K is 2 years old. We'll see how that goes.
    An unconditional right to say what one pleases about public affairs is what I consider to be the minimum guarantee of the First Amendment.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast