Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pumping Amount Question...

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Pumping Amount Question...

Advertisements
    My milk is in, and the lactation lady at the hospital said i need to give my nipples a break because DS has tore them up, so I am pumping right now.

I am curious to how much you ladies get when you pump? I pump when I feel like im leaking and such and i barely get an ounce, and thats combined.
  2. *Mrs. Bonney*
    *Mrs. Bonney*
    When I first started pumping( I pumped exclusively for the first 12 days because she was in the NICU) and I would only get around one oz when my milk first came in. I was also using a hospital grade electric pump which helped me alot!! By the time she was out of the NICU I was getting 4 oz combined. If your just pumping right now, dont do it when you feel like your leaking, do it every time he eats. Breast milk is a supply and demand thing, so if you pump less your not going to have enough to give him when you do start breastfeeding again!
  3. Senior Member
    How long has it been since delivery? I started pumping at 4 days and I only got about an ounce to start with. If you want to increase your supply, pump AFTER your son finished eating. That way your body thinks he's still hungry and produces more next time. Within a week I was getting a lot in. Don't forget his stomach is only about the size of a thimble right now (if he's as young as I think) so an ounce is actually more than he'll drink in one feed.

FYI- I found the nipple shields were the best thing for nursing my daughter. You can buy them at Target or the hospital should be able to give you at least one. The ones at target are great because they have a cut out at the top so your DH's nose is touching skin not the plastic shield. They're really flexible and I swear it's what got me through the raw nipples phase (which only lasted a couple of weeks). Good luck!!
  4. Bex
    Banned
    Banned
    normal. i get like 4 oz+ each time but thats not normal.

i'm pumping as i type actually for my freezer stash.

check out the la leche league site. most women can't pump more than an couple ounces from both combined, and thats after getting months of practice.

http://forums.llli.org
  5. Bex
    Banned
    Banned
    recommendation : use a nipple shield and screw pumping.
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennygirl View Post
    My milk is in, and the lactation lady at the hospital said i need to give my nipples a break because DS has tore them up, so I am pumping right now.

I am curious to how much you ladies get when you pump? I pump when I feel like im leaking and such and i barely get an ounce, and thats combined.
    the lactation lady gave u bad advice.

its usually not wise to use bottles in the first month or so of breastfeeding AT ALL due to nipple confusion.

I think ur only getting an ounce because ur having a hard time with ur let down reflex...which is hard to accomplish sometimes when pumping. If ur supposed to be pumping instead of feeding (which IMO is not wise) then u should be pumping as often as baby would feed, not just when u feel full....when u get full, ur body thinks ur making too much, therefore, stops making.....potentially detrimental to ur milk supply.

get some nipple cream and a second opinion, because I think the lady that u talked to is giving bad advice.
  7. *Mrs. Bonney*
    *Mrs. Bonney*
    Quote Originally Posted by troublemaker View Post
    recommendation : use a nipple shield and screw pumping.
    I had a nipple shield when I had thrush and the pain wasnt as bad. She just didnt want the breast anymore.
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Yeah it will be a week tomorrow..I just pumped cause he ate and its still the same amount...She had me try the nipple sheild and gave me a few of them and it still hurts sooooooooooooooooooo bad..I only strictly feed him breast when DH is home cause the way she wants me to try it im not able to do it myself. I am hoping the supply gets here soon!!

I asked this question cause everyones boobs get so much bigger during pregnancy and i wore the same bras as i did prepregnancy.
  9. Bex
    Banned
    Banned
    boob size has nothing to do with milk supply. when you're engorged, it means oversupply. the worst thing you can do is pump and get more than the baby needs, and be uncomfortable, leaking, and engorged. LOL

i'd try the shields and some lanolin cream and go from there.

pumping is generally not the solution to sore nipples
  10. Senior Member
    I forgot about the cream. I used Lansinoh (lanolin) cream and it worked wonders. That and the nipple shield were great. My daughter had her first bottle at 3 days (using the BreastFlow bottles designed for nursing babies) and I never had a problem with nipple confusion. She took one bottle a day (from DH so I could catch some sleep) and the rest of the time she BF. No problems here. I think the most important thing is he's getting your milk one way or another.

I used a Medula Pump in Style and I swear that was the best thing I ever got. I got mine from a friend so I didn't have to spend $350 on it, just the $30 for the new tubes, etc. but I really think it would have been worth $350 to me.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast