Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Breast engorgement

1. *Mrs. Bonney*
    *Mrs. Bonney*

Breast engorgement

Advertisements
    So Ive had a battle with breastfeeding since Rhyann has come home, almost a month ago. Its way to painful for me to breastfeed her. No matter what position, how shes latched on, it hurts. So I decided to pump during the day and give her formula at night. My only problem is I get extreamly engorged at night. How can I prevent this? I know when breastfed babies start sleeping through the night this happens Im sure, what did you do about it? Im in so much pain by the time morning comes. Please help.
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    A baby should not sleep all through the night at one month old so I would wake her up at least once to nurse. Never mind you are giving her formula, you need to pump during that feeding then or it will hurt the milk supply. Breastfeeding is supply and demand, you have to nurse or pump often in the first few months to build and keep a supply.

Breast feeding is really rough in the first month sometimes the first couple of months. It will stop being painful eventually. If it stopped hurting and then started again it may be thrush. Have you hooked up with a la leche group yet? Also if you are only pumping your supply might bot last full time pumping is very hard. Trust me the pain will go away but it sucks to get past it. The first month & half Jacob was nursing every time he latched on it felt like razors in my nipple. I would stomp my foot and mutter fuck under my breath. Maternal bliss it was not. He refused a bottle though.
  3. Senior Member
    I have no idea about this, but what about waking yourself up and pumping at night if it is that bad for you in the morning. I know nothing about this at all, but that's my only suggestion
  4. *Mrs. Bonney*
    *Mrs. Bonney*
    I did have thrush and we were both on the medication for it, but the pain has not gone away. Im not wanting her to sleep through the night, Im just not going to breastfeed. Ill be giving her formula during the night and pumping during the day. I want her to have as much breastmilk as possible. I just seriously cant take the pain. I dread feeding time when I have to put her to my breast and I dont think I should feel like that about feeding my child.
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I am betting you still have thrush it is hard to get rid of. Check my above post I edited and added some things. I missed the part where she is formula feeding at night sorry.

If you want to stop nursing its ok, it won't make you less of a Mom. I want to give nursing advice but am worried I will sound like a fanatic.
  6. *Mrs. Bonney*
    *Mrs. Bonney*
    You can give me all the advise you want. I really need it! I havnt talked to a lactation consultant yet, but Im going to WIC tomorrow to get a hospital grade pump and Ill talk to her then. I really DONT want to stop breastfeeding but the pain is horrible. It does feel like razor blades on my breast. But the pain also keeps going after the first initial pain. Not as bad, but still there. I use lanolin and I still use my thrush cream, so I dont get it!!
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I agree with Green~Mammy. Engorgement is DETRIMENTAL to ur milk supply in the first couple of months. When ur breasts are full...they stop making milk...and when its not being used...it stops producing. Supply and demand
    My first thought is that baby isnt latched on correctly...or thrush. Improper latch HURTS LIKE A MOFO! If ur nipple is being pulled in any direction or if baby isnt getting enough of the nipple in his/her mouth then that will cause pain. If u choose not to nurse at night...I highly recommend u pump once or twice a night.
  8. *Mrs. Bonney*
    *Mrs. Bonney*
    Quote Originally Posted by Devinn View Post
    I agree with Green~Mammy. Engorgement is DETRIMENTAL to ur milk supply in the first couple of months. When ur breasts are full...they stop making milk...and when its not being used...it stops producing. Supply and demand
    My first thought is that baby isnt latched on correctly...or thrush. Improper latch HURTS LIKE A MOFO! If ur nipple is being pulled in any direction or if baby isnt getting enough of the nipple in his/her mouth then that will cause pain. If u choose not to nurse at night...I highly recommend u pump once or twice a night.
    How the heck do I make sure shes latched on right then?? If I think shes not I will take her off and do it again. Im pretty sure Im doing it right but who the hell knows
  9. I love my Boys!
    I love my Boys!
    I always heard that when you stop a feeding your milk supply will start adjusting to it..but if it is that painful then I would just get up and pump. Not sure on anything else We failed at BF.
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by *Crystal* View Post
    How the heck do I make sure shes latched on right then?? If I think shes not I will take her off and do it again. Im pretty sure Im doing it right but who the hell knows
    Here's a good website I used alot when breastfeeding my ODD.

It was very helpful....also contact ur local Le Leche League....LIFESAVERS!

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/start/bas...resources.html

You'll get it, just dont give up yet. I know its frusterating, but it will even out, I PROMISE.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast