Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ? for those BFing mamas(maybe TMI)

1. Senior Member

? for those BFing mamas(maybe TMI)

Advertisements
    I have read that when you breastfeed you do not get your period, but I have also read that if you are BFing and on birth control you should get your period.
    I am breast feeding and on the mini pill. The 1st couple months I would spot every couple weeks, but all of a sudden it stopped and I have had nothing in 6 weeks. Is that normal? I have taken my pill everyday but I know with the mini pill you have to take it pretty much the same exact time everyday. I have but there may have been a couple times where I took it a little later than normal.

So my ? is that is it normal not to have your period while BFing?
    TIA
  2. *Mrs. Bonney*
    *Mrs. Bonney*
    Ive heard of women going 6 months or so without a period while BFing....
  3. Senior Member
    thats what I thought. Dh has just been freaking out thinking that I can be pregnant again. We want another one but not right now.
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Yes that is completely normal! Everything is so out of whack after having a baby especially when bfing! But if you are concerned, I'd make a quick call to your OB or midwife or even your PCM.
    Follow me on Instagram, if you'd like.

https://instagram.com/mrotsarbed
  5. Senior Member
    Thank You very much for answering my post. I am not to worried about it, dh has been the one stressing about it. He even told me to come on here and ask all of you if you all knew.lol
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    It is not true that you don't get your period or ovulate while you are breast feeding. Jacob was exclusively breast fed from birth to about 11 1/2 months. He was born in May 2006, I started having my period again in October which means I had ovulated in September. Several women I know have had oops babies while breast feeding.

If you don't want to get pregnant either take BC , practice natural family planning, or have your DH wear a rubber even while breast feeding. If you think you MIGHT be pregnant take a test to reassure yourself and your DH. If you think your mini pill is not effective enough take that AND have your DH wear a rubber then you are doubly protected for those days you take the pill late or just in case you forget.
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Personally, I think it all depends on the woman as to when she'll start having a period again while BF. I'm breastfeeding Evan, he is 4 months, and I'm on the Depo shot. I'm pretty sure I've had 2 periods. Based on my past bleeding with the Depo I'm not sure what is my period and what is the Depo.
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I was told at my 6 week pp appt that it could be up to 15 months before I get my period due to bf. I actually got my first one at 5 months though. Then I skipped a month and then got it again. I was hoping to go a little longer.
    ~~Crystal
    Wife to Chris
    SAHM to Riley Ann

Hubby retired from the Navy June 2011 and what a change of life!
  9. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    ok...I breastfed my daughter til she was 18 months old...I did not have my period for 11 months straight and it wasn't "normal" til after i stopped feeding her during the day around 15 months...I would say it's normal to not get it at all or have it be abnormal while breastfeeding
    Katie- Mommy to Kylee 10-30-05 (loving big sister, Ms. independent, intelligent, princess) and Auriana 09-17-08 (miracle baby with down syndrome, heart defects, hearing impairment, digestive problems, tube fed since birth, but determined to succeed, strong, loving, happy)

Ask me about Congenital Heart Defects... 1 in 100, it could be your child...

Ask me about Down Syndrome... more common than you think...

Wife to a Disabled Army Veteran... been there, done that, moving on
  10. Senior Member
    I am on the mini pill too and bfing. I dont get a peroid Ive even skipped a few pills with no breakthrough bleeding. As far as OIm concerned the less I have to deal with AF the better
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast