Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MSOS Convention Discussion and Ideas

1. Senior Member
    Advertisements
    From the other thread:

Right now a very very vague idea of what we are trying to do is have a group dinner first in some way or another to meet people in person and then include lists of attractions in the area that people might be interested in doing or seeing. Our general hope is that you find someone from MSOS that is interested in seeing or doing the same thing as you and you explore the city together in small MSOS groups to get to know each other better.
    I personally think a dinner might be too formal for a first event type thing. A meal set around brunch/lunch or something might be cheaper and more conducive to a meet and greet type atmosphere. It also leaves more time in the day to explore the city in smaller groups with or without children depending on who goes and what they want to do.
  2. scotlandgrl53
    scotlandgrl53
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andie View Post
    From the other thread:

I personally think a dinner might be too formal for a first event type thing. A meal set around brunch/lunch or something might be cheaper and more conducive to a meet and greet type atmosphere. It also leaves more time in the day to explore the city in smaller groups with or without children depending on who goes and what they want to do.
    This is a good point... I agree that dinner is kind of formal for a meet and greet. This is a good option to look at!
    I need a
    a
    I don't have forever or

So don't let me

I AshleyO
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by BiggyBiggs View Post
    I think it should be over a weekend and have at least 2 "events" for the group. 1 should be kid friendly and the other should not be. I'm excited to see how this all pans out.
  4. So lost and wandering.
    So lost and wandering.
    Sorry I have dropped the ball majorly on this.
  5. So lost and wandering.
    So lost and wandering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andie View Post
    From the other thread:

I know a lot of people questioned the convention room. But this was the main reason we tried the convention room route. It is an area where everyone is together and can mingle and mix. Maybe play some ice breaker games and get to know people type things. Plus having a speaker will be need for a room of some sort.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Icryinbaseball View Post
    I know a lot of people questioned the convention room. But this was the main reason we tried the convention room route. It is an area where everyone is together and can mingle and mix. Maybe play some ice breaker games and get to know people type things. Plus having a speaker will be need for a room of some sort.
    to me that just seems too organized and easily awkward. i like the idea of maybe brunch somewhere where we can make reservations for everyone and we can socialize without feeling forced to do icebreakers/ play games etc. plus mimosas help people socialize lol
  7. Senior Member
    Sorry I have dropped the ball majorly on this.
    You have a lot going on, I think we all understand.

I don't like the speaker idea... And ice breaker type things also seem too formal to me. Just knowing the atmosphere of MSOS I think a more casual meet and greet would be fine. Depending on the size a reserved room is NOT a bad idea. Tbh, regular ice breakers aren't really needed cause we all kind of know/have a feel for each other going in. Yknow?

Quote Originally Posted by *Blondie* View Post
    to me that just seems too organized and easily awkward. i like the idea of maybe brunch somewhere where we can make reservations for everyone and we can socialize without feeling forced to do icebreakers/ play games etc. plus mimosas help people socialize lol
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by dolphindm04 View Post
    One large organized group event.
    - depending on weather, rent a pavilion at a park and have an outdoor picnic? This also depends on how many folks are from the location area that is chosen and could possibly bring games/chairs/etc. (might be more trouble than it's worth.)
    Smaller "adventures" throughout the weekend/days (however long it is.)
    - explore a park/scavenger hunt with families
    This is such a great idea. Centering some weekend events around a park would be a break way for things to be family (heck, even pet) friendly, plus being near attractions would make it easy for smaller groups to plan activities as well. And adults only dinner groups could utilize restaurants/clubs in the area.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    This is such a great idea. Centering some weekend events around a park would be a break way for things to be family (heck, even pet) friendly, plus being near attractions would make it easy for smaller groups to plan activities as well. And adults only dinner groups could utilize restaurants/clubs in the area.
    Pet Friendly If it's in/around Atlanta I would bring Sherlock! There are tons of parks in the area.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12