Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 21 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Just what is going on?!

1. Gee

Exclamation Just what is going on?!

Advertisements
    Hi Everyone,

In the past few days there has been a huge flutter of activity on the potential for a big ol' convention. A g2g of epic proportions... I think Brandi suggested calling it a 'shebang'?!

Anyway, when Rose (Rad Sugar) brought it up initially, a group of people banded together and said "Let's make this a reality". And a provisional committee was born. After that, another thread was made asking... who wants to help see if we can make this happen?! And more people joined us.

Since then, we've started getting to know each other, started a TON of threads (and subsequently got our own subforum for the idea... thanks to our mods!) and have been getting a load of awesome private messages and responses, both positive and negative, that are helping us see what YOU guys want to see at your holy grail of a g2g in 2010.

Because, that is what we're trying to do- plan you guys the best g2g ever. The scale of this is huge, trying to get everyone together and make it as accessible as possible for as many people as possible to attend. Thankfully, incredibly talented people have volunteered to help out with determining whether or not this is even feasible, and more people are joining all the time.

For everyone's curiosity, here is the convention committee:

SandyKay- General Manager
    Gandemedj- General Manager
    HeatherBear- board communications
    Jessesq1- communications
    Helloimkaley- data collection and analysis
    LaDonna- PR/Making things pretty
    Boog's One- marketing collaterals
    Cnolan7263- Registration and numbers
    Iowa_Lady- Registration and numbers
    AbbieNikol- vendor negotiations

Also taking support roles on the committee are:
    TallBlondie
    Chels
    LittleMsSunshine
    S. Rosa
    *Court*
    sweetgagirl

And as a sub committee, we have the 'seminar team'. Rad Sugar heads that up, and it's not so much about planning seminars, but making sure that everybody always has an activity, everybody's SO always has an activity... and everybody is always, always happy and having fun. JayBo is on Rad Sugar's team with that one.

For just in case anyone is curious, an explanation of the more obscure 'job titles' above:
    -The GM's support everyone in their projects. We also reign people in when we see them jumping ahead of themselves. We're team cheerleaders.
    -Board communications, for the most part, will from now on be who you hear from with announcements and updates on our progress.
    -Data collections compiles the numbers from your polls, sets them against each other, plots margins and gives us hard data on what you're REALLY telling us with your answers.
    - Vendor negotiations makes sure you are getting the BEST deal out of this.

Since around noon today, there has been some tumult in regards to this idea regarding the massive g2g, which prompted administrators to post warnings of a sort about it.

Our team cannot stress enough these points:

- We are not affiliated with MSOS beyond our member status.
    - We are volunteers. Please, please. Respect that the team is trying to make a dream that has been tossed around for years become reality, and be kind.
    - Nothing is set in stone. We are awaiting a final okay from the owners of this board, pricing out options, doing math and just generally trying to come up with concrete options to bring back to you all so you can make an informed decision about whether or not you'll be able to attend.

And of course... We got Brandi's approval and blessing to take the reigns and plan this baby out!

We'd like to keep this post as an informational one, so please keep unneccessary comments to a minimum in it. Any ideas or concerns can be PM'd to me or SandyKay and we'll bring them up in this thread so that everyone's points are clearly addressed and our responses to them are clearly visible. I would like to ask that for personal reasons, you PM me for the next few days and not SandyKay. She's a busy lady for the next few days, and we want to make sure your responses are coming back to you in a super timely fashion!

Again, anyone who is interested in helping with the planning side of things is encouraged to PM me and we'll get you in on the team.

To close, thank you to everyone who has taken time out to PM us and write messages with their input. We can't make this YOUR dream g2g if we don't know what you want!
    Love God. All else can be figured out later.
  2. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

3. Senior Member
  4. Formerly "Chels"
    Formerly "Chels"
    Blog Entries
    Sweet
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gandemedj View Post
    - Nothing is set in stone. We are awaiting a final okay from the owners of this board, pricing out options, doing math and just generally trying to come up with concrete options to bring back to you all so you can make an informed decision about whether or not you'll be able to attend.[/B]
    I do have a question about this, because in another thread you said this:

Quote Originally Posted by gandemedj View Post
    Now, if I recieve a high volume of PM's requesting a re-do, or a thread started requesting a re-do and a large numbeer of people posting 'yes please' after that, we will consider re-doing the math on which options are best.

Because really, we have done math. Margins based on costs, population density, size of airports and easy accessibility by car...

If a large number of members clearly indicate that they would like a re-poll, then the committee will grant that request despite the extra work involved.

I hope I'm not coming off too harsh here but I honestly think it's a little absurd, for lack of better word, to take a really general poll that isn't even totally clear, then say that the only way you'll consider redoing is if you receive enough requests.... despite the extra work involved.

The initial poll was confusing to most people, it was only up for how long... a day? Or two?

I hardly think it's fair to use that poll as any true indicator as to where this thing should really be held. I think a lot more thought, consideration, time and research should go into it, even as just an initial planning stage.

I got your PM and I know you said in this thread that you want people with questions to PM you, but that doesn't sit well with me. This is a huge public event and if there are questions, concerns or problems, I really think they should be right here, in the open.

I appreciate the work, time and motivation that is going into this, but I am sensing a really strange type of attitude this is just not sitting well with me. I think it's partly due to how people have assumed these roles as an official committee and making thing seem a lot formal than what I think most people are comfortable with. Or maybe it's just coming off that way because of the "titles" and "roles". Or maybe I'm just reading into it way too much.

In any event, I do hope this comes together, but I think there needs to be a lot more time invested into doing research before we start saying that our options for anything are narrowed all the way down for anything just yet.
  6. Wah Its called life idiot
    Wah Its called life idiot
    with Brandi

I've been snooping through the threads and kinda confused how people came into their positions?

7. Independent Beachbody Coach
    Independent Beachbody Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevy_Gurl View Post
    with Brandi

I've been snooping through the threads and kinda confused how people came into their positions?
    I agree It's something thats been talked about on here over the past 5 yrs quite heavily, and never seems to come together.
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Did I miss where the committee chairs were explained? And mad kudos to those who volunteered.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I guess I must have missed something.

A g2g has been talked about for quite a while.... the "committee" is a bunch of MSOSers who are willing to invest their own time and energy do the legwork necessary to actually make it happen. Nothing more, nothing less.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I guess I must have missed something.

A g2g has been talked about for quite a while.... the "committee" is a bunch of MSOSers who are willing to invest their own time and energy do the legwork necessary to actually make it happen. Nothing more, nothing less.
    everything MORE, nothing less- to make it happen.

we're just trying to help

i believe that OP mentioned: provisional committee.

the word committee has too much of a formal connotation.

gonna look at the thesaurus for a less authoratative word and offer it to OP.

Page 1 of 21 123411 ... LastLast