Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Just what is going on?!

1. he's deployed and i'm in hawaii!
    he's deployed and i'm in hawaii!
    Advertisements
    i think this thread is actually good, bc things are getting honestly and openly hashed out.

i think the committee realizes its work and effort is appreciated, snark and condescension are not - and that a more laid back, low key agenda is what seems to be fitting better with a lot of members, especially for the first time around.

i don't want to further propagate the drama or tension by saying much else at this time, so i'm just hoping that things will kinda settle and we (the entire board, not just a committee) can re-group and figure this out.

even after all this... i still REALLY wanna see a g2g of epic proportions take place.

Quote Originally Posted by candypants View Post
    with this. I guess I don't see why it needs to be turned into this big giant ordeal. Can't we rent out a banquet room in a hotel, or meet somewhere outside, have a few drinks and some food, and get to know each other? Maybe I'm just being naive, but all of this "business-y" stuff sounds incredibly stressful to me. I really think everyone should just take a few days to cool down the planning, wait for Lee's input, and then nail down the most important details first. Then from there, if people want to help plan they can, and so on.

This really isn't meant to be a personal attack on the OP or anyone on the committees. I think you're all wonderful people who are very passionate about making this happen, but like I said, I think we need to take a few steps back and go back to brainstorming for now. Just my input.
    well said, totall agree.

Quote Originally Posted by *MarineBug* View Post
    I don't think people are worried about decisions being made because people can make them all they want. Its not like we are being forced to go. People are having issues with the one after another threads and the shortness of them and the fact that some seem to be taking this more serious then it had been intended too. People are wanting like a fun day at the beach. This is something no one on this "committee" is addressing. You OP just seem to keep giving the same round about answers about how its all for research.
    i'm technically on the committee... that's why i made the "girls just wanna have fun?" thread yesterday. i felt, with the quickness, that something with simple and innocent intentions was becoming a big ole clusterF.

just give your girl some props. i think i'm also the original one who suggested "margs and a dance off"

i'll stay classy, don't you worry.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think we should dump the Convention forum and start over with a clean slate. Brandi proposed an AWESOME beach bash get-together.... totally informal, could be done cheap, BBQ, potluck, people could camp or stay in hotels or with other MSOSers if they have spare room.....

Pick a weekend in August (or whenever).... plan a Saturday full of fun & games for kids on the beach (potato sack races, relays, sand castle contests, etc).... let the parents mingle...... have a BBQ.....

Make it totally informal.... people can come and go as they chose with whomever they chose.... and have only one or two scheduled events. (Events being a BBQ.... maybe a goofy family-friendly karaoke bash.... simple stuff)

We could rope in the help of a local VFW or something to donate their club room for a BBQ dinner.... or maybe borrow chairs and tables and BBQs for a party near the beach or in a park somewhere

Super cheap..... low-key..... easy to plan.... and if nobody shows, nobody's gonna be out a bunch of money
    perfect, and yes - i totally agree. i think we need a deep breath and get some fresh air into this whole thing.
  2. Love you with all my heart!
    Love you with all my heart!
    Blog Entries
    Ive read other the posts in this thread and am going ahead and putting my two cents in even though its kinda already been said here and there

As for my personal vibe of the whole thing I was kinda turned off because it appeared in every thread a comment suggesting how we the board members need to be patient because they the committee are volunteering time to do this for us. It was made to be this big great thing. I understand that you are kind enough to volunteer to do the work to make it happen but when I look at volunteering it is a quiet thing in other words it doesnt need to be announced in every thread how the "committee'' volunteered themselves. To me the thread was up for about a day and then a committee was formed (through PMs I assume because I never saw the thread unless I missed it) and someone said that it wasnt that formal because someone just got on board 15 minutes ago. So IMO why does it need to be so formal. Yes as things progress some people need to take the reigns, but I mean right now when things are just so loosely thought of right now, no there shouldnt be a "committe"

Like I said thats just my opinion though
  3. Veteran's Wife <---- this makes me sound so old! :(
    Veteran's Wife <---- this makes me sound so old! :(
    Still reading the thread but just to clear up my "position" in this..... the girls said that media may want to cover an event like this.... since it involves our military.... I said that I have a Mass Comm. degree and a few years experience doing Public Relations as well as I have planned a military benefit concert before and handled the publicity for that event as well... here in Raleigh..... So I volunteered to help with any media aspects they may want or that may arise. That's all there is to my involvement.

Now.... on to read the rest of the thread.
    Our perfectly, not perfect, family!
  4. I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by helloimkaley View Post

And you're more than welcome to join the committee. To my knowledge, we have let everyone in who has asked.
    From an administrative background experience - whoa. That is a bad idea. Anyone who wants to can join the planning group? And what happens when 50, 100, 200, 400, 1000 people want to join?

The idea of having a committee is to streamline and facilitate the planning, not to have a thousand people all trying to help.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by *skittles* View Post
    I don't think its a bad thing setting up a group of people with strong strengths...if you have people that work in PR or work in another area that gives them a great strength...why not use them? I would not want to be calling hotels and doing negotiations, but I can see how someone who is used to planning big conventions would be good at that kind of thing.

The biggest thing I have to mention is that if you're planning a get together for the states, at least pull up a US map. I probably would have taken a poll trying to figure out where people are located first...and with better options split it up into sections on the us map and have people vote. Find out where the most people are located. 'south' is so vague...so many of the location options were so so vague. Things need to be clearer. Things need to be state specific. After we find out where the most msosers are, then using those same options, ask where people would prefer to have this get together.

I don't feel this should be one thread completely informal otherwise it will never get done...just like its been mentioned that its been trying to get done for years. A good mix of formal and informal is good. I think the biggest thing people are saying is SLOW down...slow down and get more accurate data cause your data based on locations right now *imo* sucks.
    Since you think my way of doing things "sucks" maybe I should explain it to you so you can see just why I picked a more broad area instead of smaller ones for people to pick from:

1. Driving distance. People who live in the south won't have to take a plane to travel around the south, people in the north and southwest probably will. I'm trying to get as little people driving as possible.
    2. If you associate yourself with the "southeast" rather than the "south" or "east" you are probably more willing to drive, if you're in GA or something, to AL than you are to VA, since you think that area of the map is the one in which you belong in (those aren't really places we're considering, it's just an example, FYI). It is clear to is that more people are located in the east to southeast and the west to southwest by our polls. Which means we should be finding a place in those areas to have the shebang (anyone else think of Ricky Martin whenever they read this? And I the only one stuck in 2000? ).

Hopefully you can understand my logic better and realize that the information I am gathering isn't "sucky" but actually really helpful.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Since you think my way of doing things "sucks" maybe I should explain it to you so you can see just why I picked a more broad area instead of smaller ones for people to pick from:

1. Driving distance. People who live in the south won't have to take a plane to travel around the south, people in the north and southwest probably will. I'm trying to get as little people driving as possible.
    2. If you associate yourself with the "southeast" rather than the "south" or "east" you are probably more willing to drive, if you're in GA or something, to AL than you are to VA, since you think that area of the map is the one in which you belong in (those aren't really places we're considering, it's just an example, FYI). It is clear to is that more people are located in the east to southeast and the west to southwest by our polls. Which means we should be finding a place in those areas to have the shebang (anyone else think of Ricky Martin whenever they read this? And I the only one stuck in 2000? ).

Hopefully you can understand my logic better and realize that the information I am gathering isn't "sucky" but actually really helpful.
    Sorry....I maintain my position that the wording/choices were 'sucky'. I'm not saying your data was bad or that you didn't have good intentions, I'm just saying people are confused by VAGUE terms. The south is a pretty fucking big place. Florida could be the south....so could texas...both not really driving distance from eachother. I recommend pulling out a state map and grouping all 50 or 48 if we're going for continental US and splitting them up into 8-10 groups and outlining which states are in EVERY group. That way you don't have confusion and you'll get clearer and more accurate data which is what your aim is anyways right?
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Songtan Sally View Post
    From an administrative background experience - whoa. That is a bad idea. Anyone who wants to can join the planning group? And what happens when 50, 100, 200, 400, 1000 people want to join?

The idea of having a committee is to streamline and facilitate the planning, not to have a thousand people all trying to help.
    From what I've seen, it's letting everyone that we can in until we're full up with things that need to be done. We have people with certain strengths that have job titles so we know who's doing what and won't get overlapping input from people (more than one person booking a hotel, etc). It's mainly just letting people in so they can express their ideas and then we take it to the board to get a more in depth perception as to what the board thinks of the ideas.

Though, I am by no means the person with all the answers on this. It's just what I've seen happen over the past couple days. Basically, we're gathering people who express interest in making this happen and pooling our resources together to make this thing happen. Every hand counts!
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by *skittles* View Post
    Sorry....I maintain my position that the wording/choices were 'sucky'. I'm not saying your data was bad or that you didn't have good intentions, I'm just saying people are confused by VAGUE terms. The south is a pretty fucking big place. Florida could be the south....so could texas...both not really driving distance from eachother. I recommend pulling out a state map and grouping all 50 or 48 if we're going for continental US and splitting them up into 8-10 groups and outlining which states are in EVERY group. That way you don't have confusion and you'll get clearer and more accurate data which is what your aim is anyways right?
    ...I did post a state map in the thread? And I told people starting from this area of the map (borders and then explained to people who may live on the boarders which area they should choose from) move your finger in the direction of your state and whichever direction your finger goes is where you are. I don't see how that is too complicated?

And FL is definitely SE, not S. I stated in the poll "compass rose S, not 'The South'" because "The South" is actually more E to SE, where S would be like TX, MS, KS (from my starting point).

So I don't get why you are saying that I didn't do what I did do?

Oh! And I don't want to give people in XYZ state and tell them they are SE when they may think of themselves as S and then it completely defeats point 2 I made in previous post.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Please don't feel attacked, I just want to use this as an example. The bolded is what's me. So...people are mainly on the east or west side of the United States..and this was decided by a very short, ill-worded, poll....? I'm just not getting that.
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    ...I did post a state map in the thread? And I told people starting from this area of the map (borders and then explained to people who may live on the boarders which area they should choose from) move your finger in the direction of your state and whichever direction your finger goes is where you are. I don't see how that is too complicated?

And FL is definitely SE, not S. I stated in the poll "compass rose S, not 'The South'" because "The South" is actually more E to SE, where S would be like TX, MS, KS (from my starting point).

So I don't get why you are saying that I didn't do what I did do?

Oh! And I don't want to give people in XYZ state and tell them they are SE when they may think of themselves as S and then it completely defeats point 2 I made in previous post.
    Are you freaking kidding me?

Where are you located? (For convention purposes)

This post was edited THREE TIMES!!!! AFTER people voted. OBVIOUSLY there was confusion. Your data is skewed. You can't have people start voting and then give more information and then continue taking data...if people were clearly confused you scrap things and start over. And putting your finger in the middle of map and moving? Really? cooool
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast