Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: East Bay Area's aggression towards U.S. Military

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Bang Head East Bay Area's aggression towards U.S. Military

Advertisements
    Hi everyone!
    I am from the very liberal East Bay Area CA.
    In my experience, people in the Bay are very intolerant of those serving in the U.S. Military. Of course it is not as outwardly aggressive as it was during Vietnam, but there is still lots of passive hostility. Berkeley is notorious for activists getting the Marine recruiting station out of town, since it was too close to UC Berkeley. My guy is coming up on his graduation, and I've already gotten a lot of heat. Most people around my area say, "well obviously he doesn't have a brain to think for himself." or "He's just protecting the global banks at the cost of the 99%." I find this rhetoric offensive and unrealistic. Yes, there is corruption in the military, just like there is corruption within any system, but we shouldn't insult our individual service members for it. The overall political ideals do not welcome with military, they believe we need to implement stronger international policy and decrease military sending. I am having a hard time enjoying this transition due to all the ignorance. I am a very left-wing liberal, but at the same time I know the U.S. needs a military and I support our service members. Has anyone experienced this? How did you handle it?
    Last edited by anthropology; 07-03-2015 at 11:03 PM.
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by anthropology View Post
    Hi everyone!
    I am from the very liberal East Bay Area CA.
    In my experience, people in the Bay are very intolerant of those serving in the U.S. Military. Of course it is not as outwardly aggressive as it was during Vietnam, but there is still lots of passive hostility. Berkeley is notorious for activists getting the Marine recruiting station out of town, since it was too close to UC Berkeley. My guy coming up on his graduation, and I've already gotten a lot of heat. Most people around my area say, "well obviously he doesn't have a brain to think for himself." or "He's just protecting the global banks at the cost of the 99%." I find this rhetoric offensive and unrealistic. Yes, there is corruption in the military, just like there is corruption within any system, but we shouldn't insult our individual service members for it. The overall political ideals do not welcome with military, they believe we need to implement stronger international policy and decrease military sending. I am having a hard time enjoying this transition due to all the ignorance. Has anyone experienced this? How did you handle it?
    you ignore it and dont respond to it.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  3. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    I find that ignoring anti-military opinions is counter productive. It's not educating the individual.
  4. One does not simply Ewok into Endor
    One does not simply Ewok into Endor

Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    you ignore it and dont respond to it.
    Ear plugs, lalala~

<3 Anthiea <3 KittenMittens <3
  5. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Ignore it and move on. That's the great thing about this country. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  6. Regular Member
    I grew up in east bay and I didn't hold a lot of the same political views as my peers while I was in school. Let them rant, and ignore them. It all sounds good in theory but that's not how the rest of the world works. I get a lot of that here in MA too, it's really annoying. I would find some different friends if it is really causing problems for you
  7. Navy Wife Extraordinaire
    Navy Wife Extraordinaire

Ignore them.
  8. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I think you kind of have to pick and choose. Things like wanting recruiters out of schools or to reduce military spending don't necessarily come from ignorance. To assume those views come from a lack of education isn't always going to be correct, and that can be very counterproductive if what you want to do is have an honest debate on the subject. It's possible to be highly educated and ALSO be anti-military.

When it comes to personal attacks, that's when I think ignorance most often comes into play, but at that point in my experience it isn't worth the time/effort to argue.

If what you want is just to enjoy your relationship without having to hear other people's viewpoints on it, I would be more selective about who you share that information with. If they don't know your SO is military they can't make nasty comments about it, kwim?
  9. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by anthropology View Post
    I find that ignoring anti-military opinions is counter productive. It's not educating the individual.
    Why do you think they want to be "educated?"
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  10. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    I guess I didn't phrase my views properly... I agree, you can be very educated and still be anti-military. I think the ignorance comes from people insulting service members. I am very left wing, but I also think being without a military is very unrealistic. It comes off as people being ungrateful imo.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast