Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BuzzFeed 10 Reasons Military Spouses Seriously Rule

1. Senior Member
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by missinghim View Post
    I think my reaction is similar to yours. I find my identity through my job and personal life. I don't relate much to the military other than the fact that DH is a part of it. I am proud of him, of course, but I would be just as proud if he was a teacher, lawyer, etc. It's like I find it personally offensive to be lumped into a group of women with no common link other than their husband's career.

And sorry to threadjack, OP!
    I think the reason I get so annoyed by these kids of posts is because they make huge generalizations about me based on what my husband's job is...something I have no control over.

It would be one thing to make generalizations and stereotype me because of MY career or MY car or MY clothes or whatever. But to make generalizations and stereotypes about me because of someone else's career just really annoys me. Especially since they are almost always wrong.
  2. Regular Member
    I can see where people get annoyed by being lumped together with a group of people due to a reason they have no control over (i.e. married to a military member).

Being a military spouse is not solely my identity, but it is definitely PART of my identity, just like being married to my husband is part of my identity. I can't deny that my husband is military and him being military brings about its own special challenges and, whether I like it or not, it shapes the direction of my life.

While I wish the world was as simple as me being ME and him being HIM, it isn't. The world is always making generalizations based off decisions you make and how you appear. While there are bad stereotypes about being a military spouse, that doesn't mean that all spouses ascribe to that stereotype. And it also doesn't mean that everyone in the general population ascribes the stereotype to you.

That's why I don't have a problem with things like this. I know it doesn't apply to every spouse, and I know that some people who aren't military spouses have the same characteristics. I think it was just a nice little thread in an obscure corner of the internet, and some people might appreciate it.
    Banned
    For me personally my issue is that these lists are almost exclusively military oriented. You don't see BuzzFeed posting lists titled "10 reasons doctor/teacher/garbage man etc... spouses seriously rule.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Hakuna♥Matata View Post
    For me personally my issue is that these lists are almost exclusively military oriented. You don't see BuzzFeed posting lists titled "10 reasons doctor/teacher/garbage man etc... spouses seriously rule.
    and the traits portrayed in this one in particular aren't only traits of military spouses... a lot of these could apply to cops wives or firefighters wives or women who have their own careers that put them in these same situations...like my job makes me travel for long periods at a time and it could make me move but I'm not in the military...
  5. Senior Member
    My annoyance is two fold. First, it's the generalization. I am not like a lot of other military spouses, in many ways. And many of them are different, in their own ways. I think stuff like this suggests we are all similar, or that we all see the world in similar ways. Not only is that not true, but I think it can make people feel ostracized, as though they are the only one that doesn't fit in the mold.

Second, it's the implication that MilSOs are some super special, amazing breed--that we somehow are more special or something, based solely on whom we date. That's ridiculous. I hate it when anyone--MilSO or not--tries to put us on a pedestal.

ETA: I am assuming that since I am responding to the line of discussion already in the thread, that this is okay to post. I know it was moved to the Pride section, but the conversation had already been started about the bigger issue of Military Spouse gung-ho stuff, so it seems like it should be acceptable to continue that.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  6. Senior Member
    Yep really dislike this.

First, not all spouses are independent. In fact many of them are not.

Second, a military spouse is just like any other spouse other than their husband or wife is in the military.

Third, as stated this list fits so many other spouses that have nothing to do with the military. And this list does not fit a lot of spouses that are affiliated with the military.
  7. The Dude Abides
    The Dude Abides
    I have no problem with the topic, Buzzfeed's ridiculous over usage of GIFs is what annoys me about the article. I wish they'd use funny or relevant GIFs instead of just throwing random ones in there.
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post

ETA: I am assuming that since I am responding to the line of discussion already in the thread, that this is okay to post. I know it was moved to the Pride section, but the conversation had already been started about the bigger issue of Military Spouse gung-ho stuff, so it seems like it should be acceptable to continue that.
    Just wanted to let you know, you're fine. You are going with the flow of the conversation and you're being respectful and within TOS.
  9. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    I don't really see the big deal. Of course their "reasons" are overgeneralizations that don't apply to everyone. But, I think the intent of the list was to be cutesy and give milsos some props
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12