Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Letters from Basic - Amazing Gift From The Past

1. I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    Blog Entries

Love Letters from Basic - Amazing Gift From The Past

Advertisements
    This completely brought me to tears today; I hope you enjoy this as well.

My mother sent me photo copies of letters that my dad wrote when he entered the Army in 1943. He sent them to his niece Georgia, who was two years old at the time! He volunteered to join the military during WWII. I have transcribed the letters below, complete with any and all grammar / spelling errors.

1st Letter – Reception Center, Fort Benjamin Harrison, Indiana dated October 23, 1943

Dear Georgia . . . . and Ben & Emma,

I am taking this opportunity to write while I’m not on any detail.

This morning we marched and practiced salutes & right and left face and had calisthenics and I’m sort of stiff from it. All of the fellows here are pretty nice guys and the officers are nice. Sat. when I was on K.P. I was put on garbage detail and an officer came us and talked to me while I was working. I didn’t look up and so I didn’t know he was on officer till he walked away. I didn’t even sir him and he was really nice.

I saw a show yesterday called “Sweet Rosy O Grady”. It was pretty good. We’ve had some pretty good meals here and if we don’t like the food we can go to the P.X. and eat but on the whole the meals are good. We have cabbage but I always pass that by and don’t eat it. When I have time at night I go over to the P.X. and buy some ice cream. Its 15¢ a pint. You can also get beer at the P.X. but I don’t.

Yesterday for dinner we had chicken, no kidding either. Today we had steak and French Fries. Not bad eh. But I still hope they move me pretty soon because I want to get started.

If you want you can write to me now and I’ll get it. I wished I’d told you to write befor this. Well I gotta go on general detail now. If I hurry I won’t be late.

Lots of Love to Georgia
    So Long

Italo “Butch”

2nd Letter – Basic Training, Fort Benning, GA dated November 8, 1943

Dear Georgia,

How are you? Are you still afraid of your uncle “Butch”? Have you got “5 hugs” for him. I hope so.

Well I want to tell you that Ft. Benning is a hell of a big place and I’ll never see all of it. They have every kind of gun that the army has here & we’re going to use many of them. Tomorrow I take my final test. So far I’ve gotten 132 in the I.Q. 137 in another I.Q. & 126 in a mechanical aptitude test so I think I’m in. I sure hope so.

Here if your shoes aren’t shined or if your sheets aren’t tight enough to bounce a quarter off of you get gig’ed. Today my bed was torn up by a major on inspection but nothing came of it. Another thing is that you have to salute all W. A. C. officers, or else.

My interviewer said that I might get home after basic and again I might not.

I also have a fairly good chance to get to a college near home, I surely do hope so. Well thats all the news for now. Keep telling ma & pa that I’ll be all right & I guess I will be.

So long

Butch
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Wow that's pretty amazing. My DB' s letters from fort Bennington werent like that....times have changed for sure.

"Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things, LOVE never fails"
    I Corinthians 13:7-8
  3. I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    Blog Entries
    Times have changed indeed!
  4. Senior Member
    Very sweet. I'm so happy for you and your mom that you have those letters from your dad.
    "Do what you feel in your heart to be right - for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't."
    Eleanor Roosevelt
  5. Regular Member
    Awwww. These remind me of the Blink-182 song where they read letters written during WWII by Tom's grandma.
  6. Regular Member
    Those were precious! Thanks for sharing!
  7. Senior Member
    aw those are so sweet

"We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love."
    — Dr. Seuss