Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A blue star in the window...

1. Senior Member

A blue star in the window...

Advertisements
    I'm curious if any of you hang the blue service star in the window of your home in honor of your loved one in the military.

For those unfamiliar with the blue service star banner, they came about during WW1 and were meant to be hung in the window of your home to show that your house had a loved one serving in the armed forces of this country. A gold star with a blue border meant that your loved one has given their life for this country.

This is the blue star flag that hangs in the doorway to the porch of my home, it hangs there for all of my friends who are still serving our country. But in particular it hangs there for the love of my life, Becki. Also hanging with the flag is her necklace that she left by my bedside the day she deployed. It will hang there until the day she comes home to me.

2. C Squared
    C Squared
    I don't have one of those cuz my DH and I have never lived together, but my in-laws have one hanging in the front window and my MIL has a car magnet (on her car) with the blue star as well.

" i'm ready to come home. i just wanna get home. i love having you at my disposal" DH
  3. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    I have one that I hang in the inside of my home but never the window. I don't want to advertise that I have a SO in the military & I DEFINITELY don't want to advertise a deployment.

"Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
  4. Senior Member
    my mom wanted to get a flag for my brother but she wasnt shirt exactly what to get. i'm gonna share the info you posted with her!
  5. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    I have a tiny blue star charm I wear on a necklace. MIL has tons of them around her house, it's overwhelming!
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  6. Breathe and chill
    Breathe and chill
    Blog Entries

I was informed that I "wasn't allowed" to hang one since we're only engaged, even though we live together. So I don't.

Next time he deploys I will.
    Put on your big girl panties and deal with it like a boss.

7. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

I don't have one, no need to advertise that dh is A/D. MIL has one and displays it proudly.
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  8. Senior Member
    I think thats a lovely tribute to Becki
  9. Twin Wrangler Extraordinaire
    Twin Wrangler Extraordinaire
    There are rules/guidelines for who can display them, from Wikipedia: "The individuals entitled to display the service flag are clearly defined in 36 USC 901 which reads:
    A service flag approved by the Secretary of Defense may be displayed in a window of the place of residence of individuals who are members of the immediate family of an individual serving in the Armed Forces of the United States during any period of war or hostilities in which the Armed Forces of the United States are engaged."

I have one from the last time my husband deployed, I didn't put it in the window though. I didn't want to advertise that my husband was gone.
  10. Twin Wrangler Extraordinaire
    Twin Wrangler Extraordinaire
    Double post.
    Last edited by Katheros; 07-12-2012 at 02:53 PM. Reason: double post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast