Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Guideline for the Military GF/Wife/Fiance

1. Talk Whovian To Me.
    Talk Whovian To Me.

Guideline for the Military GF/Wife/Fiance

Advertisements
    I found this on tumblr and thought I'd share

**I should mention that there are some things on this list that many people on this forum won't agree with (including me), but I thought it was just a nice general guideline.**

♥ Guideline for the Military Girlfriend/Wife/Fiance ♥

•Dont count on anything, Hurry up and wait!
    •Don’t listen to anyone on the outside. All you will get is negative remarks, which will make things harder for you to deal with.
    •When he becomes stubborn & a royal pain in the ass, just remind yourself that he’s probably had a bad day, & being away from you is hard on him too. So just let him rant & dont take it personal.
    •When you’re down, treat yourself.
    •Learn how to listen if you don’t know how, He will need you. You will be the one he comes to when he needs to bitch, but don’t bitch back. That is what we are here for. This is a hard time for our men & they need us much more than they think they do.
    •Love your man, be truthful & reassure him, even if he’s deployed, he’ll have someone to come back to.
    •He will try to pull away at some point, whether directly telling you to move on & not wait for him or just becoming too distant. Its a way they try to deal with it, a defense mechanism. Stick with him because he really does want/need you there.
    •When he is away for a long time or even just a couple of hours away, write a lot of letters, Communication is key to a relationship.
    •Some of him friends will probable be morons, Expect this.
    •You aren’t the only woman in his life. His mom misses & loves him too, so make sure she is updated on what is going on with him.
    •He needs to feel important so don’t hold back on the compliments, remind him how proud you are of what he does.
    •Chances are they won’t call when they say they will. That especially applies for deployed!
    •Don’t buy that non-refundable airplane ticket too early.
    •When eating with them, you either finish your “chow” in 15 minutes or less or be stared at until you are finished
    •Never take 1 single Minute with them for granted. Live each day with them like it is the last one you’ll have for a while because with the military, it just might be.
    •Take lots & lots of pictures so you can remember what each other looks like.
    •Don’t even TRY to compare your man to an ordinary civilian men. You can no longer bitch about broken plans, that phone call you were suppose to get but didn’t, missed birthdays & anniversaries, his snoring (hey, at least he’s sleeping BESIDE you), spending more time with “the boys” than you, etc.
    •Always look on the bright side of things. How many of your friends get to get their 1st encounter, 1st date, 1st kiss from their man over & over again?
    •Gotta be able to keep up with your man. We give our men a whole new meaning of PT, LOL.
    •Even if he says he will, he probably won’t. Maybe really means probably not OR probably not when he said he would. Example: “I might be able to call you tomorrow”, but he can’t find the time to until a week later. Or “I might be able to come home next month for a week”. That might turn into 2 weeks.
    •Being a military girlfriend/wife/fiance is a very tough job. You have to deal with stress more then the average civilian girl, Have hope.
    •We find ourselves using military lingo: “I’m going to get my room squared away”, “Its time for chow”, or using military time. If it hasn’t happened don’t worry it will.
    •Patience is the biggest key to making the relationship work. You have to wait a lot, but in the end, waiting is what makes it all worthwhile.
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Would you like me to move this to military pride? Threads like this can generally get very heated if posted in the general forum.
  3. Senior Member
    love this
    "True love doesn't mean being inseparable; it means being separated and nothing changes."

4. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I think it's good general advice, not to keen on the "ordinary civilian" comparisons, but I guess that's par for the course for,these.

Only one I REALLY disagree with is #2. My "friends on the outside" are awesome and I couldn't imagine life without them! If someone really thinks all they will get is negativity, I feel sorry for them.
  5. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    Eh... there are some I really don't agree with especially the "people on the outside" and "civilian" crap but others are kinda cute.

"Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
  6. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    I like some of these, but hate others.

Being a military SO isn't a tough job. Its not a job. Its a life choice. And there are many thing in civi life that can be just as hard and deffo some things in civi life that are harder- just a different kind of hard.
  7. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I really like the.one about being patient though! Impatience is one of my biggest flaws!
  8. Talk Whovian To Me.
    Talk Whovian To Me.

Quote Originally Posted by His♥PITA View Post
    Would you like me to move this to military pride? Threads like this can generally get very heated if posted in the general forum.
    Yes please
    Thank you!
  9. Don't you know, don't you know that you're beautiful?
    Don't you know, don't you know that you're beautiful?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post

Being a military SO isn't a tough job. Its not a job. Its a life choice. And there are many thing in civi life that can be just as hard and deffo some things in civi life that are harder- just a different kind of hard.

I definitely agree with the bolded.
    blondiebabe is my twin! Distance Divas SailorsGoddess is my wifey!
  10. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post

And I definitely don't think it's toughest "job." I couldn't do half of the things my husband does

"Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast