Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Only 2 defining forces have offered to die for you

1. Regular Member

Only 2 defining forces have offered to die for you

Advertisements
    I read this story today and it made me remember when my husband worked on jets. When we lived in Virginia Beach the Jet Noise used to drive me insane. then my husband told me he was the one signing off on when they could take off. LOL (the irony) anyway, saw this on facebook and had to share.

Luke AFB is west of Phoenix and is rapidly being surrounded by civilization that complains about the noise from the base and its planes, forgetting that it was there long before they were. A certain lieutenant colonel at Luke AFB deserves a big pat on the back. Apparently, an individual who lives somewhere near Luke AFB wrote the local paper complaining about a group of F-16s that disturbed his/he......r day at the mall.

When that individual read the response from a Luke AFB officer, it must have stung quite a bit.

The complaint:

'Question of the day for Luke Air Force Base:

Whom do we thank for the morning air show? Last Wednesday, at precisely 9:11 A.M, a tight formation of four F-16 jets made a low pass over Arrowhead Mall, continuing west over Bell Road at approximately 500 feet. Imagine our good fortune! Do the Tom Cruise-wannabes feel we need this wake-up call, or were they trying to impress the cashiers at Mervyns early bird special?

Any response would be appreciated.

The response:

Regarding 'A wake-up call from Luke's jets' On June 15, at precisely 9:12 a.m. , a perfectly timed four- ship fly by of F-16s from the 63rd Fighter Squadron at Luke Air Force Base flew over the grave of Capt. Jeremy Fresques. Capt Fresques was an Air Force officer who was previously stationed at Luke Air Force Base and was killed in Iraq on May 30, Memorial Day.

At 9 a. m. on June 15, his family and friends gathered at Sunland Memorial Park in Sun City to mourn the loss of a husband, son and friend. Based on the letter writer's recount of the fly by, and because of the jet noise, I'm sure you didn't hear the 21-gun salute, the playing of taps, or my words to the widow and parents of Capt. Fresques as I gave them their son's flag on behalf of the President of the United States and all those veterans and servicemen and women who understand the sacrifices they have endured..

A four-ship fly by is a display of respect the Air Force gives to those who give their lives in defense of freedom. We are professional aviators and take our jobs seriously, and on June 15 what the letter writer witnessed was four officers lining up to pay their ultimate respects.

The letter writer asks, 'Whom do we thank for the morning air show'? The 56th Fighter Wing will make the call for you, and forward your thanks to the widow and parents of Capt Fresques, and thank them for you, for it was in their honor that my pilots flew the most honorable formation of their lives.

Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Lt. Col. Grant L. Rosensteel, Jr.
  2. Regular Member
    jet noise, the sound of freedom.
  3. Senior Member
    That made me tear up.

My dad and stepmother live in Sun City Arizona, I know precisely every place mentioned. Also makes me thing someone like myh stepmother wrote the complaint. I never realized what was out ther (I lived there with my dad for I think around 5 years) and would see/hear the jets go by. I didn't really know what the military was then, I would just watch them zoom by the desert sky.

You're welcome.
  4. Senior Member
    Wow.. the part about jesus and the american soldier.. never thought of it like that. I absolutely LOVE that!
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    What a great letter. Thanks for sharing.

I'm Baaaaaaaack
  6. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

I miss the jet noise from living in Va Beach.

I don't like the last line of it, but the rest of it is beautiful.
  7. The Dude Abides
    The Dude Abides
    Quote Originally Posted by Noooraaa View Post
    What a great letter. Thanks for sharing.

It really hits you in the heart, very well-written.
  8. Senior Member
    Here is a link to the story from Snopes which gives the reader's response to the letter as well...

snopes.com: Luke Air Force Base Fly-By

and I was surprised to find that this story was actually true!!!!! Most stories like this end up being made up.
  9. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RetepDoc View Post
    Here is a link to the story from Snopes which gives the reader's response to the letter as well...

snopes.com: Luke Air Force Base Fly-By

and I was surprised to find that this story was actually true!!!!! Most stories like this end up being made up.

I'm Baaaaaaaack
  10. I'm still Jennie from the block....
    I'm still Jennie from the block....

That is an awesome story! I got chills reading this. Thank you so much for sharing & I am glad the Lt. responeded to that complaint.
    I also read the response letter in the link on snopes. I think it's funny he mentions that he served in the Navy & was a Vietnam Vet. You would think seeing that he served, he would understand what it would be like to live by a base like that. Also would be a bit more understanding when he saw military jets flying. Just made me laugh a bit. At least he appologized though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast