Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Military vs Civilian friends

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Military vs Civilian friends

Advertisements
    Not sure if this should be in "Debates" or here cause I don't actually agree with it and want to see what people think but it is a Military Pride type thing...Mods, if you think it should be moved, do yo thang!

Military vs. Civilian Friends
    CIVILIAN FRIENDS: Tell you not to do something stupid when drunk.
    MILITARY FRIENDS: Will post 360 security so you dont get caught.

CIVILIAN FRIENDS: Call your parents Mr. and Mrs. ... ... ...
    MILITARY FRIENDS: Call your parents mom and dad.

CIVILIAN FRIENDS: Hope the night out drinking goes smoothly, and hope that no one is late for the ride home.
    MILITARY FRIENDS: Know some wild stuff will happen, and set up rally points and an E & E route.

CIVILIAN FRIENDS: Bail you out of jail and tell you what you did was wrong.
    MILITARY FRIENDS: Will be sitting next to you saying, Damn...we f**ked up...but hey, that was fun!"

CIVILIAN FRIENDS: Borrow your stuff for a few days then give it back.
    MILITARY FRIENDS: Steal each other's stuff so often nobody remembers who bought it in the first place.

CIVILIAN FRIENDS: Will listen to your relationship problems and hope it works out for you. MILITARY FRIENDS: Will listen to you over a long hard road march, and will help you straighten it out better than Dr. Phil.

CIVILIAN FRIENDS: Know a few things about you.
    MILITARY FRIENDS: Could write a book with direct quotes from you.

CIVILIAN FRIENDS: Might try to hit on your girl behind your back.
    MILITARY FRIENDS: Have spooned with you in the field more than your girl has, and would never even think about doing that.

CIVILIAN FRIENDS: Would knock on your door.
    MILITARY FRIENDS: Walk right in and say, "I'm home!"

CIVILIAN FRIENDS: Will wish you had enough money to go out that night, and are sorry you couldn't come.
    MILITARY FRIENDS: Will share their last dollar with you, drag you along, and try to work free drinks all night.

CIVILIAN FRIENDS: Want the money they loaned you back next week.
    MILITARY FRIENDS: Can't begin to remember who owes who money after taking care of each other for so long.

CIVILIAN FRIENDS: Will tell you "They'd take a bullet for you."
    MILITARY FRIENDS: Will actually take a bullet for you.

CIVILIAN FRIENDS: Will ignore this
    MILITARY FRIENDS: Will repost this

DB's team leader just posted this as his facebook status and a lot of them I've seen as like "good friends vs best friends" kinda things. Makes me kinda feel like its saying that civilians aren't as good friends as military people.

I'm Baaaaaaaack
  2. Senior Member
    I think what they mean is the deep bond military people form due to their job. I wouldn't agree with all of them, but these two, I've never seen it quite like the military friends do. I was floored to witness it for the first time last year when I met DH and all his friends:

CIVILIAN FRIENDS: Will wish you had enough money to go out that night, and are sorry you couldn't come.
    MILITARY FRIENDS: Will share their last dollar with you, drag you along, and try to work free drinks all night.

CIVILIAN FRIENDS: Want the money they loaned you back next week.
    MILITARY FRIENDS: Can't begin to remember who owes who money after taking care of each other for so long.

You're welcome.
  3. <3 <3 <3
    <3 <3 <3
    Haha that's cute! I was reading this thinking "This is like my BFF's and I!" But then when I thought about it applying to DH... SO TRUE.

He's gotten like, crazy close with all his little military buddies.
  4. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    I actually agree with all of them... except military friends don't STEAL each other's stuff, they borrow...
  5. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I laughed at the last one because all the military people I know think the FB "chain statuses" are stupid. I think if something like that got posted there would be a lot of ball-busting going on.

I've asked DH about this before, I do see how people get closer when you work with others in that kind of job, but he also said he doesn't like to get that close to people sometimes because everyone moves on so much. Only a few of his friends from Korea got stationed near here and I know he misses them.
  6. I'm still Jennie from the block....
    I'm still Jennie from the block....

I have had a couple people post that today on FB. I think its funny & nothing to take seriously really. Like pp said it's just feeding off the bond that military friends have with each other. I have to agree it's quite often a very strong bond. But I wouldn't get offended by this. That's like getting offended over the friends vs best friend quote like this. JMO

7. Senior Member
    when you move so much you develop stronger bonds faster with people who have to do the same. I don't think these only apply to only military friends
  8. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    None of that is true for me... my "civilian" friends do what the "military" friends do in this & vise versa.

"Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
  9. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rissa*Rawr View Post
    None of that is true for me... my "civilian" friends do what the "military" friends do in this & vise versa.
    Yeah, I guess it's weird because I feel like Db really isn't that close to his military friends and, in fact, has said that when we're finally living near each other, he would rather our social circle involve more civilians than military people.

I'm Baaaaaaaack
  10. Bri
    living life with aloha<3
    living life with aloha<3
    I saw this going around FB too. I feel the same, I don't agree with it at all. Maybe it's just this command.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast