Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: First Duty Station Chances?

1. celise

First Duty Station Chances?

Advertisements
    Ok, so what are the chances that Df will get his first choice of duty stations? He asked me if I would move to Italy with him, if he got stationed there... "getting adjusted" to military life is very much an understatement. I hate not knowing what is going on, and how we won't know where he is going practically up till the date he leaves.
    No matter what I know I want to move with him. I can't stand being separated, and neither can he. But I have to transfer universities and need help figuring all of that out and how to pay for school. Because in GA where I currently live, we have what is called the HOPE scholarship where they pay for your tuition if you have a 3.0 GPA. But that is only in GA.. Df told me that there is something about spousal assistance for college? How do we figure information out for that? I have been on his ass about it for the last 2 weeks and he "hasn't had time."
    Do you think he will get his first duty station? I was thinking he just might because a lot of the guys would be wanting to stay home here in the states... Italy would be so nice thought....
  2. hurry up and wait....
    hurry up and wait....
    Italy is nice, but it takes a while to be able to get all the paperwork done before you can move over here. DH adn I married 3 weeks before we came here and had to pay to get me here. I was on his orders, but I did not have a no-fee passport or a visa and therefore the military would not pay. It took 9 weeks to get the passport and visa taken care of.
  3. celise
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Italy is nice, but it takes a while to be able to get all the paperwork done before you can move over here. DH adn I married 3 weeks before we came here and had to pay to get me here. I was on his orders, but I did not have a no-fee passport or a visa and therefore the military would not pay. It took 9 weeks to get the passport and visa taken care of.
    I really hope we can figure this all out in time... From the time we get his orders (if that is where he is going) and then to see how much time we have to get it all together? How long between getting his orders and his ship date was it for you guys?
  4. Navywife2josh
    Quote Originally Posted by celise View Post
    I really hope we can figure this all out in time... From the time we get his orders (if that is where he is going) and then to see how much time we have to get it all together? How long between getting his orders and his ship date was it for you guys?
    We had 3 weeks to pack up and move from SC to Wa after DH finished nuke school. One day DH came home and said "guess what we are moving to WA" BIG suprise and very little notice but it was our choice so I was happy we got it but would have liked a little more notice than that lol
  5. hurry up and wait....
    hurry up and wait....
    Quote Originally Posted by celise View Post
    We got his orders in June, but married in September. We arrived in Italy 3 weeks after we married. We were able to get his orders amended teh day after our wedding thanks to some very helpful friends and family. His report date was not until november. Things are also different because this was not his first duty station, etc. adn we are army.
  6. IYAOYAS
    IYAOYAS
    I think it may depend on his rate and whats available. Orders are always a pain for us and he has never got his first pick.
  7. Senior Member
    We got sent to Washington which wasn't even on dh's 'list' at all.... I had him put SD down as first choice.
  8. I love my Boys!
    I love my Boys!
    YEah it depends on what is availabe for what rate...DH's first duty station ended up being something we didn't want at all..His whole class got all of the same orders though. THe list only had orders for Jax FL and nothing else.