Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PCS with a newborn

1. Regular Member

PCS with a newborn

Advertisements
    Has anyone moved shortly after having a baby? My husband is military and we got orders to move 2 months after our baby is born. I am freaking out, I've never flown with a newborn on an 8 hr flight.

My husband doesn't want to buy any furniture but I would rather have it all, leave it in the box, unpack and get the nursery done than ordering everything in hoping it ships. I would get a crib, dresser and a bassinet. I do plan on working from home so I'd get a desk and a office chair too.

I don't want to move soon after the baby but it looks like I have no choice. My mom and sister offered to help me when we fly over. My husband would drive a week ahead to move everything and get situated. Maybe I am thinking too much into this but having a baby plus moving away from home freaks me out.

I don't wanna fight with my husband but I am trying to figure out how we can get everything we need while saving money. Everything is more expensive in Alaska.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Hey! I have no personal experience with this and I'm not a mom either lol. I did have a friend who recently PCSd from CT to WA with her newborn and 3 other children. They drove and their furniture was shipped. Her husband drove himself but had to leave after them because of work. Before she moved, she didn't set up a full nursery or anything, she had the bare minimum because she knew they'd be moving soon. They chose to just purchase major furniture items once they got to their final destination - probably because shipping furniture always causes some wear and tear.

Are you able to wait till you get to Alaska to buy the big stuff?
  3. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Love7 View Post
    Hey! I have no personal experience with this and I'm not a mom either lol. I did have a friend who recently PCSd from CT to WA with her newborn and 3 other children. They drove and their furniture was shipped. Her husband drove himself but had to leave after them because of work. Before she moved, she didn't set up a full nursery or anything, she had the bare minimum because she knew they'd be moving soon. They chose to just purchase major furniture items once they got to their final destination - probably because shipping furniture always causes some wear and tear.

Are you able to wait till you get to Alaska to buy the big stuff?
    I looked into it and a lot of the places will not ship to Alaska. Even if we bought stuff there its all very expensive because you have to pay for the furniture and they charge more just for getting it shipped to the store. I plan on only buying a stroller, bassinet, and car seat as my essentials that I will use. I will also need to see if I can take those on the plane or even check them in. The crib, rocker and dresser will just stay in boxes that way they will be more compact for the move. I am not doing any of the heavy lifting so either my husband or the movers will do it.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem01 View Post
    I looked into it and a lot of the places will not ship to Alaska. Even if we bought stuff there its all very expensive because you have to pay for the furniture and they charge more just for getting it shipped to the store. I plan on only buying a stroller, bassinet, and car seat as my essentials that I will use. I will also need to see if I can take those on the plane or even check them in. The crib, rocker and dresser will just stay in boxes that way they will be more compact for the move. I am not doing any of the heavy lifting so either my husband or the movers will do it.
    Oh ok, so what is your husband giving you a hard time about? Just purchasing the furniture in general or?
  5. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Love7 View Post
    Oh ok, so what is your husband giving you a hard time about? Just purchasing the furniture in general or?
    I think it's just buying a bunch of stuff because we do have to move everything. I do plan on having a baby shower and I personally don't want to tell my friends not to give me stuff because I am moving. This is our first kid so I want to experience everything that goes along with it. He wants to look at options of moving everything himself but I would rather have the miltiary move everything. Its cheaper and less stress on us. We plan on having him drive through Canada with our dog and me flying over with the baby.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem01 View Post
    I think it's just buying a bunch of stuff because we do have to move everything. I do plan on having a baby shower and I personally don't want to tell my friends not to give me stuff because I am moving. This is our first kid so I want to experience everything that goes along with it. He wants to look at options of moving everything himself but I would rather have the miltiary move everything. Its cheaper and less stress on us. We plan on having him drive through Canada with our dog and me flying over with the baby.
    Ok, I can kind of (not really) understand his perspective, but the military will move all your stuff for you. I know some people choose to move all their belongings on their own in attempt to save money, but I've heard its usually not worth it at all. The military moves all your stuff for Free, so I would take advantage of that. You guys will have enough stress with the new baby and all.

Sorry I'm not more help, we need other members to get in here and give advice LOL
  7. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    Why does he want to pack, move and drive himself to Alaska?

life's a party, rock your body
  8. Moderator

I have moved immediately after baby with my first three kids. Newborns are honestly sooooo much easier to travel with than larger kids. Everything they need for travel can fit in much less space, they can't run away from you at rest stops, and most of them sleep a LOT. With our first, he was a month old and we moved everything ourselves because of a super limited timeframe. It wasn't so bad, really. As for the baby stuff, I would just go minimal, but I wouldn't hold off on buying the essentials just because of a move. You are going to need things in that two months after the baby is born. Will your husband consider moving some things himself and letting the military move the rest? That's how we did most of our military moves; we moved things we knew we would want ASAP and let them move things we could do without for a while.

As for flying with baby, you can bring an airline-approved car seat on the plane for baby (there's a sticker that confirms it's approved on the seat). I definitely recommend bringing the seat on the plane; it makes it MUCH easier to deal with things on the flight like eating/drinking, going to the restroom, etc. You should be able to gate-check your stroller so that it will fly on your plane and be available when you disembark. Try to feed baby during takeoff and landing to help with air pressure changes.

I know it's scary, but you can do it.
  9. "...now do Classical Gas"
    "...now do Classical Gas"
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSisterWife View Post

I have moved immediately after baby with my first three kids. Newborns are honestly sooooo much easier to travel with than larger kids. Everything they need for travel can fit in much less space, they can't run away from you at rest stops, and most of them sleep a LOT. With our first, he was a month old and we moved everything ourselves because of a super limited timeframe. It wasn't so bad, really. As for the baby stuff, I would just go minimal, but I wouldn't hold off on buying the essentials just because of a move. You are going to need things in that two months after the baby is born. Will your husband consider moving some things himself and letting the military move the rest? That's how we did most of our military moves; we moved things we knew we would want ASAP and let them move things we could do without for a while.

As for flying with baby, you can bring an airline-approved car seat on the plane for baby (there's a sticker that confirms it's approved on the seat). I definitely recommend bringing the seat on the plane; it makes it MUCH easier to deal with things on the flight like eating/drinking, going to the restroom, etc. You should be able to gate-check your stroller so that it will fly on your plane and be available when you disembark. Try to feed baby during takeoff and landing to help with air pressure changes.

I know it's scary, but you can do it.
    I was going to reply, but you seem to have beaten me to it.
    If I cannot move heaven, I will raise hell
  10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    If you have furniture, and/or more than a car load of stuff, it is rarely worth doing a DiY move. let the military move it for you. I have probably moved 30 times, or more, (many before military) and stuff always gets broken or lost.
    Just let the professionals handle it.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast