Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Pack and load timeline

1. Senior Member

Pack and load timeline

Advertisements
    How long did it take them to pack and load your stuff? We were told all in one day, then told two days, will they pack one and load the second? Are they usually quick? I know it depends on our amount of crap, we don't have excessive crap for a family of six. I'm worried if they take too long loading I'll need to change our hotel reservations.
    “There is a time in every man's education when he arrives at the conviction that envy is ignorance; that imitation is suicide”

― Ralph Waldo Emerson, Self Reliance
  2. One does not simply Ewok into Endor
    One does not simply Ewok into Endor

They took two days our last PCS.

<3 Anthiea <3 KittenMittens <3
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by germy View Post
    They took two days our last PCS.
    Two whole days? Or pack one day and load in the morning? I'm wondering if we can reasonably drive 10 hours after they leave?
  4. Senior Member
    We are a family of 2 and it has always taken 2 days every time we have PCSed -- one day to pack and one day to load. Usually the packers were different people than the loaders.

For a family of 6 it might even take them longer. Did they survey your house? We've had a few short order moves, so they just asked how many rooms we have.

5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Medic2Doula View Post
    I'm wondering if we can reasonably drive 10 hours after they leave?
    FYI - the military will give him a certain number of days driving time, and they will not require 10 hours of driving on any day. The number of days is calculated based on the number of miles, and that is how they determine the number of nights they pay for a hotel too. There is not really an advantage to driving faster, because they will recalculate how much they pay for hotels and meals based on the fact that you arrived at the duty station early.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dekeoboe View Post
    FYI - the military will give him a certain number of days driving time, and they will not require 10 hours of driving on any day. The number of days is calculated based on the number of miles, and that is how they determine the number of nights they pay for a hotel too. There is not really an advantage to driving faster, because they will recalculate how much they pay for hotels and meals based on the fact that you arrived at the duty station early.
    They gave him 5 days of travel, we could, if the movers would have come this weekend while he works, left on Monday. We are going from Cincinnati to San Diego, direct it is only one day and nine hours of driving, BUT we are adding in stops, one of which, Coin, Iowa is out of the way, that's the ten hour drive. Dh's grandmother lives there, she is in poor health and dh hasn't seen her since he was a small child, so we are going to visit for a few hours. We also are planning on going by the grand canyon and vegas, neither of which are directly on the path, but not too far off. Trying to make being in the car for so long fun for the kids..... or at least let them see some cool stuff on the way.
  7. Moderator

We are a family of five. They’ve always packed us up one day, then loaded the truck the next day. I’ve always been able to get on the road, after they loaded the truck, around 2ish.
  8. One does not simply Ewok into Endor
    One does not simply Ewok into Endor

Quote Originally Posted by Medic2Doula View Post
    Two whole days? Or pack one day and load in the morning? I'm wondering if we can reasonably drive 10 hours after they leave?
    It took two whole days last time. We drove the three hours to my parents house after and stayed there for a week before we headed cross country.

<3 Anthiea <3 KittenMittens <3
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by dekeoboe View Post
    Yes. They will only pay the per diem rate and everything else is on you. If they said 5 days, they will pay for 5 days of food and hotel. Mileage will be from last duty station to the other. He'll have to make sure he has his leave in route if he will not be in place for after those 5 days.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  10. Senior Member
    I have had a truck basically take all day to load us once...granted we lived in a 3 story townhouse so I think that may have slowed things down a bit. It all depends on how fast some of these people move. On our last move we were all packed up in 1 day except for a few small things like bedding and all. So I had to sit around most the day trying to figure out what to do with myself and a not even 3 month old. Lets say fun.