Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: House hunting leave

1. Senior Member

House hunting leave

Advertisements
    Does that have a specific term like everything else? Eh, not the point.

The 10 days that the service member gets to look for a home, the paperwork that needs to be done for that, is that started at the base that they leave and finalized at the new base? Or is that all done at the new base?

When DH got to his fds he was screwed out of that time because he was told that it was all done at the base he was going to. When he got there he was told it needed to be started at the base he left. So he didn't get that time. Now that his PCS is coming up he was doing all the necessary paperwork and was told that the paperwork for the 10 day house hunting time can be all done at the new base, or started here and finished at the new base. Can anyone confirm or deny this?!
  2. Senior Member
    Your best bet is to read through the JTR for specific guidance. Most people I know that have taken it have left the current location for the leave, then returned and gotten back to work, so it surely would have been at the losing command, not the gaining, since it wasn't en route. But it would make sense if it was allowed at either, too. The JTR can tell you for sure. Always best to read through it can confirm whatever you are told.

I can't help with specifics as in 18 years of service, DH has never gotten house hunting leave. And that brings up another point. As far as I know, they aren't required to let the service member take it. If they can't spare him, I believe they can say no.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

DH is Navy but we got it at the new command when we moved here because we decided it would be more helpful for him to help unpack than to take it when we were house hunting which we could do on weekends before we moved...DH just had to submit a leave chit to the admin people.
  4. Senior Member
    DH always takes it at the new base he's checking into.

5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    We have always done it when we got there. Unless we are moving on base. Otherwise, we looked for a place within a few days. Some depends on the base and the manning also. We haven't always had the 10 days.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  6. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    DH always takes it at the new base he's checking into.
    So does my husband. He checks into his new unit June 11th and gets the ten days then.
  7. Senior Member
    He's going to take it when we get to the new base. But I'm more specifically asking if the paperwork for that leave is done at the base he leaves, or the base he's going to? When he left AIT he was told the paperwork was done at the base he's going to. Only to get there and find out that the paperwork was supposed to be started at the base he left, so therefore he couldn't take the leave. And now he's being told that it was changed and the paperwork can be done at either base. I know it's not guaranteed that he will get it, but he would like to at least try.

I'll look into what Villanelle suggested to see if that helps.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by caljmw649 View Post
    Does that have a specific term like everything else? Eh, not the point.

The 10 days that the service member gets to look for a home, the paperwork that needs to be done for that, is that started at the base that they leave and finalized at the new base? Or is that all done at the new base?

When DH got to his fds he was screwed out of that time because he was told that it was all done at the base he was going to. When he got there he was told it needed to be started at the base he left. So he didn't get that time. Now that his PCS is coming up he was doing all the necessary paperwork and was told that the paperwork for the 10 day house hunting time can be all done at the new base, or started here and finished at the new base. Can anyone confirm or deny this?!
    The majority of guys who go to bootcamp aren't married before they enlist. They typically aren't bringing a wife to the first Duty station. It's usually just a matter of catching a flight and bringing a seabag to the barracks. That leads to a lot of confusion and misinformation. I think that's how he wound up getting told the wrong thing. ETA the move to the first duty station isn't an actual PCS so that further adds to the confusion. I can't actually tell you went wrong there, those are just my guesses.

Quote Originally Posted by caljmw649 View Post
    He's going to take it when we get to the new base. But I'm more specifically asking if the paperwork for that leave is done at the base he leaves, or the base he's going to? When he left AIT he was told the paperwork was done at the base he's going to. Only to get there and find out that the paperwork was supposed to be started at the base he left, so therefore he couldn't take the leave. And now he's being told that it was changed and the paperwork can be done at either base. I know it's not guaranteed that he will get it, but he would like to at least try.

I'll look into what Villanelle suggested to see if that helps.
    DH always requests/takes 10 days house hunting leave after he's checked into the new base. We usually take a month off to PCS (8 days free travel time + leave) because that's normally the amount of time they give him before he needs to report to the new station. Once he checks into the new base they might make him go into work a day or two, but then they always give him 10 days of house-hunting leave. That's been my experience for the last 3 PCS.
    Last edited by idratherbehiking; 05-10-2018 at 11:44 AM.

9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    The majority of guys who go to bootcamp aren't married before they enlist. They typically aren't bringing a wife to the first Duty station. It's usually just a matter of catching a flight and bringing a seabag to the barracks. That leads to a lot of confusion and misinformation. I think that's how he wound up getting told the wrong thing. ETA the move to the first duty station isn't an actual PCS so that further adds to the confusion. I can't actually tell you went wrong there, those are just my guesses.

He says they told him the wrong info because they didn't want to do the paperwork. They knew he was married at that point. We were married before he even left. But it's in the past, so oh well

DH always requests/takes 10 days house hunting leave after he's checked into the new base. We usually take a month off to PCS (8 days free travel time + leave) because that's normally the amount of time they give him before he needs to report to the new station. Once he checks into the new base they might make him go into work a day or two, but then they always give him 10 days of house-hunting leave. That's been my experience for the last 3 PCS.
    That's how we've heard it work pretty much with people who were authorized the leave time. They either in-processed and then took the leave. Or they took the leave first then in-processed. Guess we'll just have to wait and see if they authorize it and when they'll tell him to take it.