Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Fort Bliss Texas

  1. Fresh Newbie
    haleymiles's Avatar
    haleymiles is offline
    Fresh Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    10
    #1

    Fort Bliss Texas

    Advertisements
    DH just came back from retention today and Fort Bliss was open so looks like we will be going there for our next duty station. We're pretty excited as we love to see new places. Any advice? On post or off post? Was looking at post housing and seen where they have houses off post but it's still considered on post? How are those houses? We have two boys that will be 2 1/2 by the time we PCS. Are there kid friendly things to do on base or in the area?

    Thanks for any advice, stories, or tips
  2. Senior Member
    bdizzle's Avatar
    bdizzle is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    19,693
    #2
    I would say on post, just because of the area, but the base stuff is REALLY nice. I think they really want to keep people on post lol, they legit have a mall shopping center with a giant PX and commissary, and a ton of restaurants and civilian stores like buffalo wild wings. We only stopped through but that made me jealous.


  3. Senior Member
    caljmw649's Avatar
    caljmw649 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Together in Texas!
    Posts
    1,578
    #3
    Currently at Bliss and it's a pretty good place. as Bdizzle said, the on post shopping area is nice. Quite a few restaurants and stores. A splash pad and mini park, there's also giant checkers you can play outside. A movie theatre. They have concerts during the summer that are free. Craig Morgan was one last year, Casey Donahew was the first one this year. There are plenty of events on post as well as off post. There's a trampoline park off post, and a place called Aly B Gators, it's an indoor play area with bounce houses. Paintball. Amusements parks. Bunch of splash pads around town. Pools on post. A zoo with a splash pad, and the zoo is actually a good one. A race track in El Paso and one in Las Cruces. St Clair Winery and Bistro in Las Cruces where you can have a nice meal and then walk the winery.

    People think El Paso is a bad area because it's right there next to the border. But it's really not a bad place. It's the second safest metropolitan city in the US and out of overall cities in the US, it's in the mid 30's on the list. It's a lot safer than you'd think. DH and I live off post cause of our dog. Most of the housing on post takes all of your BAH and depending on what housing you get, it's not worth all of your BAH. I'd look at the housing on post and off post then decide. They do have on post off post housing which is housing that is off post, but is post housing. I've been in them and the houses are older. So you'd have to decide if it's worth living in older housing that takes all your BAH when you could get a house off post that is newer that doesn't take all of your BAH. DH and I live in the northeast and love it. It's close to the grocery store and is only 15-20 minutes from base and the mall.
  4. Fresh Newbie
    haleymiles's Avatar
    haleymiles is offline
    Fresh Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    10
    #4
    Thank you guys both so much. I've heard several bad things about Bliss but me and my DH are both super excited. We've never been to Texas and we love exploring new places! I just get stressed about whether to live on post or off post, lol. Our first duty station at Schofield Barracks we stayed on post and I loved it, but DH wasn't too fond of it. Now at Fort Campbell we live off post and I hate it but DH loves it, lol. Since I lived on post in Hawaii I made several friends, but living off post in Kentucky I haven't made a single friend and I've been here a little over a year. I just don't want to be lonely if we live off post and I have no friends again.
  5. Senior Member
    caljmw649's Avatar
    caljmw649 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Together in Texas!
    Posts
    1,578
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by haleymiles View Post
    Thank you guys both so much. I've heard several bad things about Bliss but me and my DH are both super excited. We've never been to Texas and we love exploring new places! I just get stressed about whether to live on post or off post, lol. Our first duty station at Schofield Barracks we stayed on post and I loved it, but DH wasn't too fond of it. Now at Fort Campbell we live off post and I hate it but DH loves it, lol. Since I lived on post in Hawaii I made several friends, but living off post in Kentucky I haven't made a single friend and I've been here a little over a year. I just don't want to be lonely if we live off post and I have no friends again.
    I suggest just looking into housing on post and off post. Some housing on post is not worth it. And I've heard terrible things about Balfour Beatty. And if you post on the base spouse page that you're new to the area and want to make friends, other spouses will reach out to you. I've met a real good friend that way.
  6. Senior Member
    AdaraMarie's Avatar
    AdaraMarie is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    A Midwest State
    Posts
    644
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by caljmw649 View Post
    Currently at Bliss and it's a pretty good place. as Bdizzle said, the on post shopping area is nice. Quite a few restaurants and stores. A splash pad and mini park, there's also giant checkers you can play outside. A movie theatre. They have concerts during the summer that are free. Craig Morgan was one last year, Casey Donahew was the first one this year. There are plenty of events on post as well as off post. There's a trampoline park off post, and a place called Aly B Gators, it's an indoor play area with bounce houses. Paintball. Amusements parks. Bunch of splash pads around town. Pools on post. A zoo with a splash pad, and the zoo is actually a good one. A race track in El Paso and one in Las Cruces. St Clair Winery and Bistro in Las Cruces where you can have a nice meal and then walk the winery.

    People think El Paso is a bad area because it's right there next to the border. But it's really not a bad place. It's the second safest metropolitan city in the US and out of overall cities in the US, it's in the mid 30's on the list. It's a lot safer than you'd think. DH and I live off post cause of our dog. Most of the housing on post takes all of your BAH and depending on what housing you get, it's not worth all of your BAH. I'd look at the housing on post and off post then decide. They do have on post off post housing which is housing that is off post, but is post housing. I've been in them and the houses are older. So you'd have to decide if it's worth living in older housing that takes all your BAH when you could get a house off post that is newer that doesn't take all of your BAH. DH and I live in the northeast and love it. It's close to the grocery store and is only 15-20 minutes from base and the mall.
    I'll be at Fort Bliss in June. Sounds like an nice place and that the town has pretty much everything you need. Things to do in town? Must see places for adults, no kids) Since I am new to the military my new thing is sight seeing bases/posts. So I am pretty exicted LOL.
  7. Senior Member
    caljmw649's Avatar
    caljmw649 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Together in Texas!
    Posts
    1,578
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by AdaraMarie View Post
    I'll be at Fort Bliss in June. Sounds like an nice place and that the town has pretty much everything you need. Things to do in town? Must see places for adults, no kids) Since I am new to the military my new thing is sight seeing bases/posts. So I am pretty exicted LOL.
    Elephant Butte is a must see. White sands is a must see. I would still go to the zoo, if that's something you would enjoy. It really is a good zoo. You can hike the mountain, and there are lookout points on the mountain where you can pull over and have lunch and just enjoy the view. There's a tattoo/piercing expo every year if that's something you'd be interested in. This year the guy with the most tattoos was there, the one that was featured in guinness world records. People travel from all over, Cali, Australia, Ohio, New Jersey. There's a movie theatre with reclining seats. St. Clair winery and bistro in Las Cruces is a nice place to go to for dinner. You can walk the winery. There really is a lot to do.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •