Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving on base from off base.

1. Regular Member

Moving on base from off base.

Advertisements
    Has anyone ever lived off base for awhile then moved on base? The housing market is really good now and my husband wants to sell our house and move on base. He is slowly talking me into it but it's hard for me. I don't like the idea of moving into a duplex when we own a nice house. We have a dog so I would like to have a big yard.

We did put in for another state and his shop is moving some people to another state that we don't necessarily want to move too. It makes sense to sell the house and move on base if we will PCS soon but we haven't gotten orders yet.

What is it like living on base? do you like it or hate it? Were you on a waitlist?
    What made you want to move on base?
  2. Senior Member
    If you are waiting on PCS orders, it doesn't seem to make much sense to go through the expense of moving for what may be a very short time. (I have had trouble following your posts about his orders requests, so I'm not sure what the status of it all is, exactly.) Even if you DIY, there are usually expenses--boxes, pizza and beer for your friends who get sucked in to helping, small things you need that you didn't need at the other house, etc. All that for what could end up being a few months? No thank you!

Personally, I can't imagine every choosing to live on base while living CONUS (and probably not OCONUS, either). We currently live on base for the first time ever, and only because it is required. It's okay, but there are lots of annoying things. And generally, the higher the rank you are and the smaller your family size, the worse of a deal it is. Even overseas, we could probably have a house almost twice as large and with much nicer finishes and a better floor plan, all within the housing allowance. And not getting to choose a house layout, location, etc. that is a good fit for us is another huge downside. I guess it is nice not having to pay utilities. But in our case, that also comes with frequent power outages (usually for planned maintenance), hot water outages (no hot water for 5 days last fall was fun, especially when my parents were visiting), and a bunch of other really stupid stuff. Not all base/military housing will deal with these things though.

I also find that people tend to be much less mindful of their kids. They feel it is a safer environment in that regard (plenty of petty theft of things likes bikes though), and they are probably right. So it's an upside for them. But I deal with screamign packs of kids who live no where near me. Today, I had a boy who couldn't have been older than 5 ring my door bell. When I answered, he stared at me, then mumbled something I didn't understand. I asked if he was okay, and he said, "never mind", but still stoof there, so I asked if he needed help. he muttered and stammered and finally asked, "do you have a boy or a girl". I told him "I'm sorry. I have no kids. No kids live here". And then blinked at me, walked over to his bike, and rode off. It's annoying and stuff like this happens a lot. I never had anything like that happen while living in a civilian house.

I lot of people like not having to deal with paying bills and all that. I've never found it to be a burden to pay an electric bill, but some people find that to be a big upside. (In some privatized military housing, if you go over the average usage by enough, you may still end up getting a bill.)
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  3. Senior Member
    We did but we were already on the wait list from when we moved to the new area in the first place. I moved in at christmas....so far I enjoy it. Yes there are some downsides with kids always in my backyard but I also live right next to the park so kids are running through my yard. I can't have a fence unless I get permission and pay for the whole thing.....

Now like vanilla said if you are up for orders and all soon I would be very careful. Cause the move from town to base would be all on you. One reason we waited for almost a year was knowing that the gov't was going to be moving me.

I would really research the type of home you are even allowed in cause that could make a big difference. If its worse than what you are in now oh no I wouldn't move. But make sure you really see what it would cost even for the selling of the house. If you sell your house prior to being able to go into base housing (if there is a list) what do you do? If you have to carry your house do you have the funds to do it while you are living in housing.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem01 View Post
    Has anyone ever lived off base for awhile then moved on base? The housing market is really good now and my husband wants to sell our house and move on base. He is slowly talking me into it but it's hard for me. I don't like the idea of moving into a duplex when we own a nice house. We have a dog so I would like to have a big yard.

We did put in for another state and his shop is moving some people to another state that we don't necessarily want to move too. It makes sense to sell the house and move on base if we will PCS soon but we haven't gotten orders yet.

What is it like living on base? do you like it or hate it? Were you on a waitlist?
    What made you want to move on base?
    I have lived on and off base. At certain duty stations it was the better option to live on base. Because we have 2 large breed dogs we either a) couldn't find anyone to rent to us or b) found places but they were well over BAH. But at this duty station, we would have better options off base.

Pros for on base:
    Lawn care is provided (but not inside a fenced backyard)
    No pet fees/deposits
    No 1st/last month's rent required
    24 hour maintenance
    Access to facilities (small gym and pool)
    Centrally located to everything on base

Cons:
    Usually a townhome or duplex
    Thin walls
    Small backyard
    You have to drive through a gate to get home
    Weird rules ex: you can't work on vehicles in your driveway or garage

Wait times for housing will vary by base/neighborhood. Some neighborhoods have no wait and some can be 1+ years. You have to call housing to ask.

In your case, I would stay off base. Maybe when you figure out where or if you're PCSing you could look into housing at the next base.

5. Regular Member
    I have several times with my dad and now with my husband. Out of the 2 I kind of prefer on base. I feel more comfortable driving there (issues from a previous accident where I was t boned and the car was totalled x.x ) and am able to walk a lot more places and get extra exercise without worrying I am on a shady corner not having a clue. I could take or leave the exchange and commissary. We still tend to go to Sam's club and the regular grocery store for most of our items. Will probably start walking there more regularly for dry items once baby is born.

I don't really have neighbor issues but that could be because other than to say hi, how are you? When I see them I really don't see or talk to them much. We only had some on the previous base because my brother was an issue so it was our fault not the neighbors.

I do appreciate the ability to use the small gym and pool that aren't far from the house too. Not every place has them but our current place does.

My husband usually prefers to be off base because we make better use of the money that way and normally I could live either way. We actually only moved into the base because the apartment had an extreme mold issue they refused to admit was there or even fix and I was pregnant and super sick already so it was making it worse so we sucked it up and moved on base. We probably won't move off again until they move him to whatever base they want him on next. Moving is just a giant hassle. Its expensive and if you have to move yourself like we did its terribly annoying and all we had was a 1 bedroom apartment of stuff. If I were you guys and you don't have a couple years to be there still I would just hang tight where you are and sell the house when you leave or make it a rental and think about moving on base at the next one if he is set on the idea. The waitlist here was about 2 to 3 weeks but I feel luck played a part in that. I don't think we tried to move when everyone else was moving in.
  6. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    We lived off post in Colorado and we loved it. I truly have no idea why someone would choose to live on post.

life's a party, rock your body
  7. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    Oh also, you live in Utah! I definitely wouldn't move on base.

life's a party, rock your body
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

We lived off base in a 600 sq ft apartment. When that lease ended DH and I moved on base because the apartment was a high rise, only had window unit AC so it was costly and not even cool, we only had one parking spot so finding a second on the street was always a pain. We also live in Hawaii, so our options are either pay a ton of money or deal with insane traffic. There are no in betweens here. Here, living in base housing was a better bang for your buck unless you purchase a home (and deal with 2+ hours of traffic a day), but I wouldn't do it anywhere else.

Pros to base housing:
    convenience
    24 hour maintenance
    triple size home
    garage
    yard
    no first/last months rent

Cons:
    Full w/ dependent rate BAH
    Utility bill is based on everyone else in the neighborhood/you owe if you're above the margins
    High crime rate - we're sitting ducks here because we're in nice homes surrounded by run down communities
    No gate - we're in base housing off base; contributes to the high crime
    Thin walls
    Animal breed restrictions
    PITA housing office
    Can't really choose your home layout/street
    Single car driveways/garages
    No sprinklers in the fenced yard
  9. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolina View Post
    We lived off base in a 600 sq ft apartment. When that lease ended DH and I moved on base because the apartment was a high rise, only had window unit AC so it was costly and not even cool, we only had one parking spot so finding a second on the street was always a pain. We also live in Hawaii, so our options are either pay a ton of money or deal with insane traffic. There are no in betweens here. Here, living in base housing was a better bang for your buck unless you purchase a home (and deal with 2+ hours of traffic a day), but I wouldn't do it anywhere else.

Pros to base housing:
    convenience
    24 hour maintenance
    triple size home
    garage
    yard
    no first/last months rent

Cons:
    Full w/ dependent rate BAH
    Utility bill is based on everyone else in the neighborhood/you owe if you're above the margins
    High crime rate - we're sitting ducks here because we're in nice homes surrounded by run down communities
    No gate - we're in base housing off base; contributes to the high crime
    Thin walls
    Animal breed restrictions
    PITA housing office
    Can't really choose your home layout/street
    Single car driveways/garages
    No sprinklers in the fenced yard
    I thought all bases were gated.
  10. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rayfinkle View Post
    Oh also, you live in Utah! I definitely wouldn't move on base.
    Were you at Hill AFB before?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast