Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moving on base from off base.

1. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem01 View Post
    Were you at Hill AFB before?
    Nope, I went to the Univ of Utah and now we are back living here again.

life's a party, rock your body
  2. Senior Member
    I thought all bases were gated.
    The base itself is gated but not all base neighborhoods are on base. 3 out of 4 bases I've lived at had neighborhoods off base. But, those neighborhoods are also designated for certain ranks for example E1-E5. Here, rank determines what neighborhood you qualify for.

3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rayfinkle View Post
    We lived off post in Colorado and we loved it. I truly have no idea why someone would choose to live on post.
    I didn’t think living on base was so bad, it was pretty nice being close to stores and I had friends a block away. It def depends on the area though, in a place where normal people live id probably wanna live off base unless it cost significantly more money. The gate by us closed at like 9pm so it was really annoying coming home later than that and it was mildly annoying to show my ID to go home. Omg and sometimes they stop you just to search your car, haaaated that. I never had anything weird in there but it made me feel like a criminal to have to stand outside my car while some dudes poked around in there.
  4. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I have made great friends through the military but I also prefer not to be totally surrounded by it. We were forced to live on post in Germany and I escaped the gates as much as possible.

life's a party, rock your body
  5. Senior Member
    I thought all bases were gated.
    All bases are gated, basically. But not all military housing is on a base. So you can live in military house and be off base, and that is fairly common.

This is one example of how the pros and cons posted above may not even apply to you. For example, some people say it is nice to be close to the base's stores (commissary, exchange, etc.), but in many locations, you might be just as far or further away in military housing than you could be if you choose your own home. Some for short commute times. Some base housing in San Diego, for example, can still be a 25+ minute drive to base.

Likewise, things like lawn care may not be included everywhere. And getting guests on base can be a giant PITA (more some bases than others), but if your military housing is off base, that wouldn't apply. So if you actually want to consider this move, you need to look at the housing available for your DH's rank in your area, and see what that consists of, so that you aren't making a decision based on supposedly feeling safe behind the gates (for example) and then ending up in non-gated housing.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12