Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lodging During Training?

1. Senior Member

Lodging During Training?

Advertisements
    We just got orders to Quantico, so I'm trying to plan the move. DH has to go to FMTB at Camp Lejune before we move and I was planning to either move to Virginia early, move back home, or stay a bit longer in Pensacola, however DH's coworkers told him that I can stay in the hotel on base free of charge for up to 3 months while he's in training. Have any of you done this or know anything about it? Even if we can, I'm not sure that I will, but I want to explore all my options. Planning to go to Fleet and Family sometime this week, but wanted to check here first!
  2. Senior Member
    I have NEVER heard of a spouse being able to do free of charge....NOW.....a SM can do work at other locations (school or whatever) and basically be free but its because the gov't will be paying for that stay but that is a whole different topic and mess of things. Do you know how long the training is? Is his training en-route? Is it after he checks into the command?
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Our PCS was similar sounding. DH has training after he checked out of DC but before he reported in FL. They put him up in a hotel in Norfolk so I easily could have stayed in the hotel too and the Navy would've paid for it. People were actually shocked I stayed in DC instead of going with him to training.
  4. Senior Member
    Agreed with others, the length of training and if it is en-route will determine where you will be able to stay or go. The SM doesn't always stay in a hotel during training either (at least in the Marines). DB did training stints between stations and he stayed in barracks or the BOQ. With the married SMs the family stayed in-place during the training and then moved to the PDS at the time the training was complete. I don't know if they were given the option of moving early to the next PDS before the SM.
  5. Senior Member
    The training is en route and only 2 months. He will be required to stay in the barracks on weeknights which is why I thought it was odd that they'd allow me to stay in the base hotels. originally we were told that I would stay in Florida.
  6. Senior Member
    So you have two options....you can still stay in FL....i mean no one is saying you have to have the house packed up and all at that certain date....if anything you can set up the move and say I want to move at a later date and have him to go school and you stay behind finishing everything up. Or you basically leave when he leaves and set up house in VA. Stuff can go into storage and you can go home and visit family if you wish and have the money. there are several options here.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Margot31 View Post
    So you have two options....you can still stay in FL....i mean no one is saying you have to have the house packed up and all at that certain date....if anything you can set up the move and say I want to move at a later date and have him to go school and you stay behind finishing everything up. Or you basically leave when he leaves and set up house in VA. Stuff can go into storage and you can go home and visit family if you wish and have the money. there are several options here.
    Yes, those are three of the options I listed. The cheapest and easiest option would be staying at Lejune like the coworker had mentioned, but I was trying to find out if it was an actual thing. It seems odd to me. Thank you for your input everyone! I'm going to Fleet and family to rule it out as an option!
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina22LE View Post
    Yes, those are three of the options I listed. The cheapest and easiest option would be staying at Lejune like the coworker had mentioned, but I was trying to find out if it was an actual thing. It seems odd to me. Thank you for your input everyone! I'm going to Fleet and family to rule it out as an option!
    The only thing I could think of is Per Diem....but not sure. If you get per Diem you would just get an allowance and you still have to pay for things. But I guess for me....do you want to stay in a hotel each day waiting for him to be done with class, or wait to see him on the weekends only? Don't get me wrong. My husband went to training in Norfolk but it wasn't enough and even at that point I didn't want to visit him. I think I went down twice. 1 was to pick him up for our family beach vacation and 2 was to help my sister pack. But his schedule wasn't as strict as the possible things one depending on what it is.

The worst case you will be paying out of pocket to follow him. So you need to also check with the command and those orders and all to see what allowances are available to you guys. Every move and school and all is different.
    Last edited by Margot31; 03-20-2018 at 07:18 PM.
  9. Senior Member
    As far as I know, this is only true if he is also staying in the room. They don't care whether there is an extra occupant (or, if they charge a small fee for a second occupant, you'd have to pay only that). If they provide a room, then don't care if you sleep in it too, as it costs nothing extra. I did this with DH, though it was only for two weeks. However, if he has to stay in a barracks room on the weekends, they aren't going to continue to pay a hotel bill for him on those nights.

Coworkers are often well-intended, but they aren't experts in pay issues. When in doubt, read through the JTR yourself. But I doubt you are going to find anything that says they will pay for a hotel room he's not staying in during a time they are also giving him a barracks room.

And Fleet and Family would not be the correct people to ask. That would be PSD, and your DH should ask, not you.

ETA: He will likely also be getting BAH for this time, since you aren't authorized to move to training with him, so they will pay for a place for his dependent to live, which generally means BAH. He should confirm this to be sure as there are times were this can get complicated, but that's most likely the case.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  10. Senior Member
    I've never heard of them paying for a spouse to stay in a hotel for a short training. Like PaUSMC said, usually they stay in the barracks during training. If you plan on visiting Lejeune then the Inn of the Corps is nice because it is central to everyting. However, it isn't cheap (over $90 a night). The cabanas by the beach on base are cheaper, but further from everything. But Jacksonville has a ton of reasonably priced hotels to choose from.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast