Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Can Someone Please Explain BAH??

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Confused Can Someone Please Explain BAH??

Advertisements
    Hi All,

I'm new to this forum and have received so much awesome advice from people on here already that I thought I'd throw out a question to you all that I've been wondering about.

I'm dating an army, we've been together about a year and a half, and are pretty serious. He's heading to Ft. Gordon next year and I'm hoping to be able to move out there with him. I'm trying to figure out what kind of job I can find there and what salary I can afford to live on. He keeps telling me that if we get married we'll get something called BAH and it will basically pay for our housing. I feel like this can't possibly be the full story, like there must be some catch or strings attached.

Can anyone explain BAH to me? Do you automatically get it once you're married or if there a waiting period? Is it a fixed amount or based on cost of living where you are? Can it be used for any kind of housing or is it like specifcally military housing? For those receiving it, does it actually cover your housing costs or only partial? If partial, what percentage? Does it include utilies and all that jazz?

Thanks so much for any information anyone is able to provide!!
    Last edited by alwaysmissing; 12-09-2017 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Fixing title
  2. Senior Member
    BAH stands for basic allowance housing - as far as how much it is it depends on location and rate and also your status (married - dependents)
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alwaysmissing View Post
    Hi All,

I'm new to this forum and have received so much awesome advice from people on here already that I thought I'd throw out a question to you all that I've been wondering about.

I'm dating an army, we've been together about a year and a half, and are pretty serious. He's heading to Ft. Gordon next year and I'm hoping to be able to move out there with him. I'm trying to figure out what kind of job I can find there and what salary I can afford to live on. He keeps telling me that if we get married we'll get something called BAH and it will basically pay for our housing. I feel like this can't possibly be the full story, like there must be some catch or strings attached.

Can anyone explain BAH to me? Do you automatically get it once you're married or if there a waiting period? Is it a fixed amount or based on cost of living where you are? Can it be used for any kind of housing or is it like specifcally military housing? For those receiving it, does it actually cover your housing costs or only partial? If partial, what percentage? Does it include utilies and all that jazz?

Thanks so much for any information anyone is able to provide!!
    Thatís pretty much the full story. Get married, get BAH. It often takes a few months to kick in but just because things are slow, not because thereís an actual waiting period. It would be based on his rank and location (you can find the amount online). You can either opt for military housing on base in which case your BAH will go straight to that and you wonít see it, or you can take your BAH and find a place to rent off base. You can often find cheaper options off base, but they might be a long commute or have other drawbacks. If you choose to live on base, there may be a waiting list to get into a house. Look at what his BAH would be with dependents (you would be his dependent if you got married) for his rank with ft gordonís zip code and check craigslist to see the cost of housing in the area.
  4. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by kt_bug View Post
    That’s pretty much the full story. Get married, get BAH. It often takes a few months to kick in but just because things are slow, not because there’s an actual waiting period. It would be based on his rank and location (you can find the amount online). You can either opt for military housing on base in which case your BAH will go straight to that and you won’t see it, or you can take your BAH and find a place to rent off base. You can often find cheaper options off base, but they might be a long commute or have other drawbacks. If you choose to live on base, there may be a waiting list to get into a house. Look at what his BAH would be with dependents (you would be his dependent if you got married) for his rank with ft gordon’s zip code and check craigslist to see the cost of housing in the area.
    That's super helpful! Do you know exactly where I can look this up? If not, no worries. I'll just google around But if there's a specific site that would be really helpful.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alwaysmissing View Post
    That's super helpful! Do you know exactly where I can look this up? If not, no worries. I'll just google around But if there's a specific site that would be really helpful.
    https://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/site/bahCalc.cfm

Google the zip code for Ft Gordon and put in his rank.
  6. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Thanks!!
  7. Moderator

At Fort Gordon (I live here now) the housing allowance is definitely sufficient for rent and utilities if you don't need a ton of space. As the size of the home increases, the cost of utilities goes up FAST, and BAH won't be enough anymore. Cost of living here is low, but oooh boy are electric bills high in the summertime. Jobs here are... well... it can be rough, depending on your field. There are TONS of government jobs, which also tends to mean a ton of retail, but not a whole lot else in between. Fortunately, you don't have to make a HUGE amount of money to live comfortably here. (For instance, the rent we've paid for 3-5 bedrooms has ranged from 950-1290, and we have a bunch of tiny humans running around so we have to be fairly picky- could have lived cheaper if not.) Gas prices are among the lowest in the country, food prices are middling, and there's basically nothing to do so it's much more difficult to blow your cash on fun.
  8. Senior Member
    That's pretty much the full story. Right now, they are providing a free home for him in the from of a barracks room. If he's married, he can't live in the barracks with his wife, so instead of that free home, they give him money for rent and utilities.

You can choose to give that up to live on base or in military housing, in most cases, if there is space available. Probably 95% of military housing takes all of your BAH in exchange for no rent or basic utilities (water, heat, electric). There are exceptions, but that's the basic.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski