Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: JB Anacostia - Bolling

1. Senior Member

JB Anacostia - Bolling

Advertisements
    Found out we are heading to JB Anacostia-Bolling for a special duty assignment. Anyone know the area? Scared of living on JB after seeing the school ratings!!
  2. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    DC district schools do suck. there are a couple that are good but you have to be put into a lottery to get them. We were stationed at bolling for 6 years, and right off the bat as soon as I found out we were going we chose to live in VA becasue of the schools. We couldn't afford a private school (best option for bolling) so we chose to live in VA. The commute can be long depending on where you live, however the further out in VA you go the more you save on BAH. We found the house we rented online about 3 monhts before we were to arrive, and it was ready for us when we got here so we didn't have to waste time searching. We moved beginning of school year (october) so I didn't want to waste any more time out of school.

the DMV (DC-MD-VA) metro area is huge, there is about a 45 mile radius that is considered the commutable area for the DMV. If you start looking at places to live, start with school districts and find the ones you like and go from there. Know that Fairfax and Loudoun county, alexandria, and arlington are the MOST expensive places to live, from rent to groceries and all in between, it will suck up all the BAH and possibly go out of pocket. Once you find a district you like, start google mapping the commute, you cannot go by miles, because around here, 5 miles can take 1 hour. google maps is pretty good about calculating the time, especially during rush hour (6a-9a and 3p-8p).

If you have questions, let me know. Been living here since 2005 and pretty familiar with the area and the costs, etc.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  3. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Ki~Ki

You are right to be concerned about the JBAB area. It is, without exaggeration, located in the worst section of DC. You'll hear a lot of people recommend Northern Virginia (NOVA) who live in the NCR region, for a number of reasons, some valid, some not. When someone tells you that the state income tax is less in Virginia than in Maryland, this is the truth, but not the entire story. Ask them about the annual excise tax they have to pay for the privilege of owning an automobile though. We did a deep dive into the various taxes paid by Maryland residence compared to what Virginia residence pay. The truth is it all comes out in the wash and is almost even, give or take.

So, obviously I have a bias for Maryland, and here's why. I live in Calvert County (S. Maryland) and commute to JBAB everyday, which door to door, my commute is right at 30 miles. Even with an obligatory daily stop at Dunkin' Donuts, my commute rarely exceeds 55 minutes, with thousands of individual routing options to the base. A comparable 30 mile commute for someone living in NOVA, say Woodbridge, is limited to 2 routes (I-495 Woodrow Wilson Bridge, and I-395 14th St. Bridge) and will take between 1.5 - 2.0 hours both ways.

Add to that the cost of housing in Calvert County being what I consider the "last bastion" of reasonably priced home rentals and values, you'll get far more home for your rental/ purchase dollar. As far as schools go, Calvert has one of the highest ratings in the state, and tons of AP and STEM options available. Let me know if you have any questions about the area.

Pete
  4. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Ki~Ki

You are right to be concerned about the JBAB area. It is, without exaggeration, located in the worst section of DC. You'll hear a lot of people recommend Northern Virginia (NOVA) who live in the NCR region, for a number of reasons, some valid, some not. When someone tells you that the state income tax is less in Virginia than in Maryland, this is the truth, but not the entire story. Ask them about the annual excise tax they have to pay for the privilege of owning an automobile though. We did a deep dive into the various taxes paid by Maryland residence compared to what Virginia residence pay. The truth is it all comes out in the wash and is almost even, give or take.

So, obviously I have a bias for Maryland, and here's why. I live in Calvert County (S. Maryland) and commute to JBAB everyday, which door to door, my commute is right at 30 miles. Even with an obligatory daily stop at Dunkin' Donuts, my commute rarely exceeds 55 minutes, with thousands of individual routing options to the base. A comparable 30 mile commute for someone living in NOVA, say Woodbridge, is limited to 2 routes (I-495 Woodrow Wilson Bridge, and I-395 14th St. Bridge) and will take between 1.5 - 2.0 hours both ways.

Add to that the cost of housing in Calvert County being what I consider the "last bastion" of reasonably priced home rentals and values, you'll get far more home for your rental/ purchase dollar. As far as schools go, Calvert has one of the highest ratings in the state, and tons of AP and STEM options available. Let me know if you have any questions about the area.

Pete
    Except state income tax doesn't apply to active duty members, nor do you have to pay property tax for vehicles in VA if you are active duty... so that is irrelevant.

And it doesn't take 1.5-2 hrs to get to JBAB from Woodbridge, it takes about 45 mins. Believe me, my husband did that commute for 4 years and on a bad day it would take him an hour.. but we also know all the side roads.

but, both MD and VA have both pros and cons. I'm partial to VA because there are more nice and less crime areas than Maryland. At least in my experience when I did my research. IMO, BAH goes further in VA than MD, and VA is closer to more things. But again, this is all a matter of opinion. You either like VA or you don't. You either like MD or you don't. Regardless, don't live in DC.

The point is... each person needs to do their research and determine what is important to them, each one is different.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't