Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Moving Prep for May

1. Regular Member

Jump for Joy Moving Prep for May

Advertisements
    My DB and I will be ending our LDR finally in May!!!!

With the happy time of graduation and ending the LDR comes the stress of moving cross country. Because we are not married (obviously) that means I/we are responsible for moving everything ourselves. Yikes.

My question is, what should I move. We will be driving, and unless I can save up the money to rent a Uhaul and something to haul my car as well, our only means will be 3 people in a 4 door Honda Accord. My DB wants me to move my furniture down there as well (bed, tables and book shelves) but I know I cannot fit all of that in my car.
    Does anyone have suggestions to help our move? As far as what to pack, how to pack or cheap truck rental options?

Thank you!!
  2. Regular Member
    I did a cross country move in a Honda civic! I literally only brought suitcases with clothes though and a few small items. DH and I had to buy everything new. We just live in a 1 bedroom so it wasn't insanely expensive to furnish. We were lucky this time around to be able to afford to buy everything at once, but if you are buying new, start with the items you absolutely need. You NEED a mattress and you NEED a couple plates/pots/pans. But do you need a full kitchen set with every utensil you could think of? Do you need a coffee table for the living room? You'd be surprised how little you truly need Then you can buy things periodically once you have the money. Also, look at apps like offer up. When I had moved from my previous state, I had sold some items in great condition for almost nothing, because sellers take what they can get. There were some things I even gave away for free on my last day because I had no more time to try to sell.

Congrats on ending your LDR! I know how exciting that is!
  3. Wine-o
    Wine-o
    I've done 2 cross-country moves but both times hired movers. I did one shorter move renting my own truck and another shorter move where I hired a local company. Obviously the cheapest option would be DIY with renting your own truck - Uhaul, Penske, and Budget are the 3 big ones. You can likely get boxes and packing supplies for free if you check around your area - neighborhood FB groups, Craigslist, etc... people are always giving away that stuff for free.
    ~Becca~

4. Senior Member
    You might look in to renting (or buying used on Craigslist and then reselling) a car-top storage box thingy. (I have no idea what they are really called.) That's a cheaper way to increase storage, though obviously it's not going to fit a bed or table. You'll want one that locks, and even then, be mindful of what you put in it, especially if you are going to be staying overnight in motels. (That's true for stuff in your car, too.)
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  5. Senior Member
    I'm also planning a cross country move, have you looked at quotes yet for moving trucks? It might be cheaper to just buy new furniture, especially if you can sell yours before you go.

I'm not bringing any furniture so it's gonna be the two of us (+ two big dogs) in my elantra with everything valuable and seasonal clothes. Everything else I'm selling or shipping, I don't remember specific prices for trailers or anything but it shocked me enough to disregard the idea entirely I'm probably gonna test out busfreighter unless I find something better before the time comes.
  6. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    Quote Originally Posted by ahoover8 View Post
    My DB and I will be ending our LDR finally in May!!!!

With the happy time of graduation and ending the LDR comes the stress of moving cross country. Because we are not married (obviously) that means I/we are responsible for moving everything ourselves. Yikes.

My question is, what should I move. We will be driving, and unless I can save up the money to rent a Uhaul and something to haul my car as well, our only means will be 3 people in a 4 door Honda Accord. My DB wants me to move my furniture down there as well (bed, tables and book shelves) but I know I cannot fit all of that in my car.
    Does anyone have suggestions to help our move? As far as what to pack, how to pack or cheap truck rental options?

Thank you!!
    If you're sure you're going to haul your car, make sure 1000000% that your Honda will fit on the tow dolly. I moved last month and rented a 12-foot U-haul and a front tow dolly to pull behind and it turned out my Honda couldn't have fit on it, so they fucked me over and charged me for a bigger one that we had to put my SO's car on. It was a huge pain. Apparently that's common for Uhaul. I wasn't pleased, lol.