Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: PCSing with pets to Europe

1. Senior Member

PCSing with pets to Europe

Advertisements
    Hello! It's been a while since I've been on here... 😳 But I'm hoping I can get some advice from those of you who have been through this before.

So I got orders to Europe (yay!), but I'm not leaving without my zoo. We have a dog, 2 hedgehogs and a gecko. I have already contacted the German ministry to make sure that I'll be allowed to bring all of them with me, and got the ok from them. The issue is getting them there... AMC flights apparently only allow dogs and cats. The only other airline we would be authorized to use is United, which would allow the zoo in cargo, but we would have to pay a more than 50% of the airfare out of pocket, since the military would only reimburse us the amount it would cost them to move us on an AMC flight (which isn't much compared to a commercial flight ticket). Both hubby and I are active duty PCSing together but on our own individual orders so we're being told there's literally no other airline we'd be authorized to use.

So I'm looking into other options. I know there are companies that specialize in shipping pets but I don't know much about them.

Has anyone here relocated overseas with a pet other than a dog or cat? How did you go about it? We're obviously looking for the safest way. We'll be relocating during the winter time so outside heat won't be an issue, but I don't know if I have to worry about it being too cold, etc... I know I can't be the only one who's ever tried to do this 😫

Also, as far as the AMC flight, how are they with pets in cargo? I've heard so many horror stories about airlines killing pets but never about military flights, so I'm hoping they're good. My dog is 80lbs. Please share your personal experience with me to either ease my mind or to make consider getting the dog overseas a different way as well.

Seriously, any bit of info or advice is greatly appreciated!

2. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Hi!

I hope everything worked out for you and your zoo! Sounds challenging to get all of them over to Europe! I am currently in that same boat with my two dogs-while they are probably easier to ship than other animals, I'm worried about it! How was it flying over for you?