Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: minimum time away to PCS

1. Senior Member

minimum time away to PCS

Advertisements
    I think the answer is no.
    BUT
    would the navy move our family if dh has to go to school? what is the minimum time he would be gone that they would move us to be with him?
    “There is a time in every man's education when he arrives at the conviction that envy is ignorance; that imitation is suicide”

― Ralph Waldo Emerson, Self Reliance
  2. Senior Member
    I think its 6 plus months they would move the family. Dh had a 10 month school and we moved with him on orders. As did all the other students in his class who were not going to stay in that area.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    It depends on how the orders are written.

Our friends are with her husband at training school for a 2 month and the Air Force had their orders written that way as a TDY in route. They will then as a family go to their new duty station.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  4. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

When DH went a few years ago, it had to be a certain number of days (classroom days, not weekends). I think it ended up being between 6-8 months.

Also, I don't know about other careers but DH was highly discouraged to me with, because it was a hard course and needed undying attention. If that's a concern for him (study habits, distractions, etc...) I would take the advice serious.

Other than that, we were both super glad I went.
  5. Senior Member
    I did a 3 month school with my husband. It was a TDY enroute. There are probably different rules for if he is going to school and then returning to the same duty station.
  6. Moderator

It was 23 weeks when DH went to tech school (10 years ago) and I think it has increased since then. We were on his orders for the first part of his school, which was almost two years, but not for the second part, which was about four months. He went to school two more times during his time in, and one of them (5 months) was a TDY (we went with him anyway) and the other (1 year) was a PCS.
  7. Senior Member
    How long is his school?

The answer seems to be "it depends". You can google the JTR and look for the specific regulation, but there are often lots of complicating factors like whether the school is all in one place, whether he's returning to the old duty station afterwards, etc.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    How long is his school?

The answer seems to be "it depends". You can google the JTR and look for the specific regulation, but there are often lots of complicating factors like whether the school is all in one place, whether he's returning to the old duty station afterwards, etc.
    not incredibly sure. There are spots for his rate and rank open, but for the year before him, so he is going to see if he can get a waiver to fill one of those spots, if he cannot and come October there are still no engineering spots (which since a lot of it is contracted out to civilians, I'm not counting on) he is planning on cross rating.
    He seems to have all but given up on the likelihood of being commissioned and says he wants to become an LDO.
  9. Senior Member
    LDO is still commissioned. Training is a bit different, but it's still commission. (The "O" is still officer.) I didn't really follow all of the rest of your post about what he's trying to do, but you'll want to look in to the LDO process if you haven't already as, just like with regular (unrestricted or restricted) officer, it can be a lengthy and involved process.

OPNAVINST 1420.1 covers how to be an LDO, which would be a place to start if you need to know the process.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    LDO is still commissioned. Training is a bit different, but it's still commission. (The "O" is still officer.) I didn't really follow all of the rest of your post about what he's trying to do, but you'll want to look in to the LDO process if you haven't already as, just like with regular (unrestricted or restricted) officer, it can be a lengthy and involved process.

OPNAVINST 1420.1 covers how to be an LDO, which would be a place to start if you need to know the process.
    I don't really follow it either, to be fair.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast