Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: minimum time away to PCS

1. Senior Member
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    LDO is still commissioned. Training is a bit different, but it's still commission. (The "O" is still officer.) I didn't really follow all of the rest of your post about what he's trying to do, but you'll want to look in to the LDO process if you haven't already as, just like with regular (unrestricted or restricted) officer, it can be a lengthy and involved process.

OPNAVINST 1420.1 covers how to be an LDO, which would be a place to start if you need to know the process.
    probably wording it wrong.
    to become an LDO he needs three more years active.
    He is trying to go active now, but there are no spots for his rate and the year he enlisted. There is a spot for his rate, but it is a year before him.
    If he could get a waiver for that spot, it would be perfect, if not, he will cross rate.
    That is where going to school comes in. He is open to a few different rates if he has to cross rate, so I'm not sure where or how long it would be.

I'm having issues being type A and wanting to plan every second of our life, but having little information from him and having 4 little ones we get very little quiet time to discuss this, and when we do I guess I come across as nagging. The people he needs to contact are constantly unavailable. It is a pain in the neck.
    I'm just reaching for any information I can get.
  2. Senior Member
    Just know that LDO is selective and a long process. Like a regular commission, it is far from a sure thing. It sounds like your DH is good at creating dreams, but not so great at being realistic or following through. It seemed like he thought he could almost instantly commission as a line officer and that there was a very high chance of that, and now it seems like maybe he's thinking more or less the same of becoming an LDO. He should only enlist if he is 100% comfortable being an enlisted sailor for as long as he stays in. Hoping for LDO is great, but he also needs to be realistic. After those 3 more years, he may be qualified, but that's just a bare minimum standard, not anything close to a guarantee. As long as you all know that and are fine with it, all is well.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I've logged on here and there and wanted to reply but finally found time.

My SO is a CWO and went through the same process basically as LDO. There was a time he did try for LDO but he'd get nervous and pull his package. By the time he finally let it ride he only qualified for CWO. Anyways lol, LDO/CWO are not guaranteed so he will need to be happy with being enlisted for the rest of his time in because he may never pick it up. There are minimum requirements just to be able to put your package in. The whole process for one selection takes like a year. And if he isn't picked up, he'll go straight into the process again. My SO spent A LOT of time on his package on top of his normal work hours, too. There is also a cut off point for LDO. If he doesn't make it by a certain point he can no longer apply. He may qualify for CWO at that point though. My SO makes it look easy cause he let his package ride one time and he was selected. But we know people that have never been selected. Also, I'm not entirely sure about LDO but for CWO they don't have to fill all the spots. If they have 10 spots but believe only 8 are good candidates then that is all they will select. LDO could be the same way. Also, from what I know, all the people I know that are LDO, in order to accept he will sign a 10 year contract. That means, say he is at 11 years, he'll automatically have to be in for more than 20 in order to retire. Oh, and they don't go by when he was selected. They go by when he'll commission. My SO hit 20 in June but has to put in 3 more years because when he accepted CWO he signed a contract for 6 years. His commission happened more than 1 year after his selection. He was in the last group because he was such a junior CWO (time in wise) compared to the others selected. And then he had to go to 2 schools which the kids and I were not authorized to go along to. They were short though, less than 2 months together. And chances are, they'll send him right to sea even if he is already on sea. My SO had been on sea for 5 years when he commissioned, went to sea for another 3 years, and when it came time for orders again his detailer tried to send him to sea again for a total of 11 years straight. Thankfully he asked for shore and when she saw how long it had been she gave them to him. Otherwise he'd be on sea again. And we know people that have been given sea again as a LDO/CWO.

Basically, in short, he just needs to know it is a long process that will take him years to even be able to apply for, will take him a long time and require a lot of attention and effort to apply each year, and he may never be selected so he'll need to be happy with always being enlisted.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BLBnJVB3 View Post
    I've logged on here and there and wanted to reply but finally found time.

My SO is a CWO and went through the same process basically as LDO. There was a time he did try for LDO but he'd get nervous and pull his package. By the time he finally let it ride he only qualified for CWO. Anyways lol, LDO/CWO are not guaranteed so he will need to be happy with being enlisted for the rest of his time in because he may never pick it up. There are minimum requirements just to be able to put your package in. The whole process for one selection takes like a year. And if he isn't picked up, he'll go straight into the process again. My SO spent A LOT of time on his package on top of his normal work hours, too. There is also a cut off point for LDO. If he doesn't make it by a certain point he can no longer apply. He may qualify for CWO at that point though. My SO makes it look easy cause he let his package ride one time and he was selected. But we know people that have never been selected. Also, I'm not entirely sure about LDO but for CWO they don't have to fill all the spots. If they have 10 spots but believe only 8 are good candidates then that is all they will select. LDO could be the same way. Also, from what I know, all the people I know that are LDO, in order to accept he will sign a 10 year contract. That means, say he is at 11 years, he'll automatically have to be in for more than 20 in order to retire. Oh, and they don't go by when he was selected. They go by when he'll commission. My SO hit 20 in June but has to put in 3 more years because when he accepted CWO he signed a contract for 6 years. His commission happened more than 1 year after his selection. He was in the last group because he was such a junior CWO (time in wise) compared to the others selected. And then he had to go to 2 schools which the kids and I were not authorized to go along to. They were short though, less than 2 months together. And chances are, they'll send him right to sea even if he is already on sea. My SO had been on sea for 5 years when he commissioned, went to sea for another 3 years, and when it came time for orders again his detailer tried to send him to sea again for a total of 11 years straight. Thankfully he asked for shore and when she saw how long it had been she gave them to him. Otherwise he'd be on sea again. And we know people that have been given sea again as a LDO/CWO.

Basically, in short, he just needs to know it is a long process that will take him years to even be able to apply for, will take him a long time and require a lot of attention and effort to apply each year, and he may never be selected so he'll need to be happy with always being enlisted.
    Doesn't he have to be a chief first? From the information villanelle provided, he doesn't have to make it there to be an LPO.

As much as he drives me crazy with his aloofness with his personal life, he is very into his work. He is doing well at school now, but when he first got out, he went to automotive school and didn't take his gen ed courses seriously, and now, five years later, it's biting him. He is currently taking a grade replacement course, so that will help out. He has volunteered for the funeral guard and earned his ESWS the last two years and got a 55 on his OAR (I read 45 was competitive).
    So in the end, I think his GPA will be bare minimum to qualify, but other than that he looks good.

I know in all likelihood he won't get officer the first time he puts in, but he might stand a chance for LDO, maybe not likely, but probably more likely than the first option thay requires his GPA to qualify.

He is I think, content with being enlisted as well. He is excited about becoming an LPO, which is his next stop (if he gets it).
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    Just know that LDO is selective and a long process. Like a regular commission, it is far from a sure thing. It sounds like your DH is good at creating dreams, but not so great at being realistic or following through. It seemed like he thought he could almost instantly commission as a line officer and that there was a very high chance of that, and now it seems like maybe he's thinking more or less the same of becoming an LDO. He should only enlist if he is 100% comfortable being an enlisted sailor for as long as he stays in. Hoping for LDO is great, but he also needs to be realistic. After those 3 more years, he may be qualified, but that's just a bare minimum standard, not anything close to a guarantee. As long as you all know that and are fine with it, all is well.
    your assessment is pretty correct.
    He was all in to become an officer and didn't do his homework into all it required. He did the things his chief told him were good to do, but still, he has to meet minimum requirements for the *chance*.

Right now being active duty enlisted will be a huge improvement for us, so no hearts will be broken if it doesn't happen with officer.
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Medic2Doula View Post
    Doesn't he have to be a chief first? From the information villanelle provided, he doesn't have to make it there to be an LPO.

As much as he drives me crazy with his aloofness with his personal life, he is very into his work. He is doing well at school now, but when he first got out, he went to automotive school and didn't take his gen ed courses seriously, and now, five years later, it's biting him. He is currently taking a grade replacement course, so that will help out. He has volunteered for the funeral guard and earned his ESWS the last two years and got a 55 on his OAR (I read 45 was competitive).
    So in the end, I think his GPA will be bare minimum to qualify, but other than that he looks good.

I know in all likelihood he won't get officer the first time he puts in, but he might stand a chance for LDO, maybe not likely, but probably more likely than the first option thay requires his GPA to qualify.

He is I think, content with being enlisted as well. He is excited about becoming an LPO, which is his next stop (if he gets it).
    From what I know with LDO he has to at least be board eligible for chief. The first time SO went to put in his package he was a first class. But he didn't let it ride or get selected for CWO til he was a senior chief.

I'm going to expand on this a bit now. So if he is a first class that wants to put in his LDO package (but is not up for chief) he'll need to take the exam and be board eligible (with the exception of a few things....unless he is up for chief) in order to put his LDO package in. He does not need to be a chief but we have seen many people get selected for chief in July/August and then in February/March get selected for LDO. He will also need to be a first class for a certain length of time before applying as well. I believe it is a year.

His higher ups should be able to help him. A mentor would be amazing. My SO has a now retired CWO5 for a mentor which helped him tremendously with the process and networking.
    Last edited by BLBnJVB3; 09-04-2017 at 09:28 AM.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12