Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: My First PCS!

1. Regular Member

My First PCS!

Advertisements
    Hey everyone!
    So my DB officially asked me to go with him in April. We unfortunately don't know where he's going yet. We're hoping to know by November. All of his bases of preference are in Florida, but his current commander (he's working for a ROTC program right now) really wants to get him into the Air Force Academy in CO Springs. Now, how much pull he actually has with that Lord only knows. We know it's kind of a crap shoot right now of where we'll end up. But I've never had to move out of state before! We currently live in Michigan.
    I know a lot of things vary from state to state, so a lot of my questions I'm holding off until we get the location of his actual assignment. However, I was wondering if anybody here has check lists or anything like that to help make moving easier? I have a thing with being organized, haha. And if anyone does make lists, what do they usually pertain!?
    I'm so excited but so dang nervous, so any and all tips and advice would be greatly appreciated. I am also scrolling through the other threads on here to get a better idea.
    Thanks so much!!!
    "Light dispels darkness. Wisdom dispels ignorance."
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by klmonette View Post
    Hey everyone!
    So my DB officially asked me to go with him in April. We unfortunately don't know where he's going yet. We're hoping to know by November. All of his bases of preference are in Florida, but his current commander (he's working for a ROTC program right now) really wants to get him into the Air Force Academy in CO Springs. Now, how much pull he actually has with that Lord only knows. We know it's kind of a crap shoot right now of where we'll end up. But I've never had to move out of state before! We currently live in Michigan.
    I know a lot of things vary from state to state, so a lot of my questions I'm holding off until we get the location of his actual assignment. However, I was wondering if anybody here has check lists or anything like that to help make moving easier? I have a thing with being organized, haha. And if anyone does make lists, what do they usually pertain!?
    I'm so excited but so dang nervous, so any and all tips and advice would be greatly appreciated. I am also scrolling through the other threads on here to get a better idea.
    Thanks so much!!!
    Your list and process will probably be different since you aren't married the military won't pay for you to move and won't move your stuff. So you'll have to book either a UHAUL or a moving company to move any furniture/clothing etc that you may have.

Before our PCS I made 2 lists: 1) things that we needed to bring with us in the car. This included anything valuable, anything packers wouldn't pack (candles, aerosol etc), and anything that would make staying in our new home doable until our stuff arrived from the movers (which for us was about a week and a half for a very short PCS). So I included things like a blow up mattress, sheets, dog food bowls, cooking utensils, pots and pans, camping chairs to sit on etc. 2) my second list was a timeline basically of what needed to be done by when around the apartment we were living in. So a timeline for starting to clean out the fridge, scheduling inspections, cleaning, scheduling movers, packing essentials etc. I was alone for the three weeks before we moved so I wanted to make sure I got everything done before DH got back. I gave myself a task or two each day to work towards the place being ready when the movers and packers came.
  3. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild*Rose View Post
    Your list and process will probably be different since you aren't married the military won't pay for you to move and won't move your stuff. So you'll have to book either a UHAUL or a moving company to move any furniture/clothing etc that you may have.

Before our PCS I made 2 lists: 1) things that we needed to bring with us in the car. This included anything valuable, anything packers wouldn't pack (candles, aerosol etc), and anything that would make staying in our new home doable until our stuff arrived from the movers (which for us was about a week and a half for a very short PCS). So I included things like a blow up mattress, sheets, dog food bowls, cooking utensils, pots and pans, camping chairs to sit on etc. 2) my second list was a timeline basically of what needed to be done by when around the apartment we were living in. So a timeline for starting to clean out the fridge, scheduling inspections, cleaning, scheduling movers, packing essentials etc. I was alone for the three weeks before we moved so I wanted to make sure I got everything done before DH got back. I gave myself a task or two each day to work towards the place being ready when the movers and packers came.
    Thanks!
    Yeah I plan on really only bringing enough stuff to fit in my car and possibly a small U-Haul trailer. He already has furniture galore so it'll mainly just be my personal items. I love the two lists idea. I'll definitely be doing that once we actually find out where he's going. Thanks!
    "Light dispels darkness. Wisdom dispels ignorance."
  4. Regular Member
    My biggest piece of advice is BE PREPARED TO SPEND A LOT OF MONEY, especially since this is on your own dime! Each time I have moved I am thinking I will be able to stay under budget, but everything adds up so quickly. If you are driving, pack smartly. Really decide what you need to bring versus what you don't need. Do you have furniture from home that you are bringing? Weigh out the costs of having to rent a U Haul to pack furniture versus just buying furniture for your new place. Don't stress yourself out TOO much, if anything important is left behind, you can also have it mailed out to you!

Are you looking into apartments? If so, write down a lot of apartments that you would like to see and make appointments, you may love something online and hate it in person. If you don't have rental history/high enough income, see if someone would be willing to be a guarantor for you... but some complexes don't even allow this so definitely ask right off the bat. Be prepared to have a security and first month's rent (sometimes even last months rent) ready to be paid.

If he is in ROTC, from my understanding, he won't be able to get BAH for himself so be prepared to have to pay for monthly rent/utilities either on your own or know that it will be coming out of his paycheck. Double check this though, I don't know a whole lot about BAH because DH and I didn't *formally* live together until after we were married, so BAH was not a question of rank for us.

All so exciting!! Good luck!!
  5. Regular Member
    He DOES get BAH, even when working for ROTC (which he may or may not keep doing, we honestly have no idea as this assignment was outside his typical career in weapons). And he plans to take care of the majority of the costs for moving into the new place. Thankfully he has furniture and all the other big stuff, so I'll just be bringing some sentimental stuff and some clothing. I do like the idea of potentially mailing some stuff out, though! I'm still planning on saving up at least a few grand, though, as I know hiccups are bound to happen and that those hiccups usually translate into spending extra money! It will be so much easier to plan once we know where the heck we are going, but I want to be as prepared as I can...already starting to sort through my clothes and other items Im not really attached to! Thanks for the financial heads up, Lord knows the same thing will probably happen to me so I know to have a good cushion ready!
  6. Senior Member
    He DOES get BAH, even when working for ROTC (which he may or may not keep doing, we honestly have no idea as this assignment was outside his typical career in weapons). And he plans to take care of the majority of the costs for moving into the new place. Thankfully he has furniture and all the other big stuff, so I'll just be bringing some sentimental stuff and some clothing. I do like the idea of potentially mailing some stuff out, though! I'm still planning on saving up at least a few grand, though, as I know hiccups are bound to happen and that those hiccups usually translate into spending extra money! It will be so much easier to plan once we know where the heck we are going, but I want to be as prepared as I can...already starting to sort through my clothes and other items Im not really attached to! Thanks for the financial heads up, Lord knows the same thing will probably happen to me so I know to have a good cushion ready!
    He will get the NON Dependant BAH. If he was married he would get the With Dependents. And looking at the confusion of the BAH thing...is he attached with an ROTC unit that he is training the students or he is a student?
  7. Regular Member
    He's teaching, not a student. But I am also aware that the BAH he has now is not the same as it would if we were married (which is in the works, but not until after this move)/I know I mean nothing to the military or his paycheck or any of that and it's fine. All I want to do is be prepared as I've never moved out of state before and there's a lot to think about.
  8. Regular Member
    He's teaching, not a student. But I am also aware that the BAH he has now is not the same as it would if we were married (which is in the works, but not until after this move)/I know I mean nothing to the military or his paycheck or any of that and it's fine. All I want to do is be prepared as I've never moved out of state before and there's a lot to think about.
    Omg I feel like an airhead, I totally assumed he was a student, sorry about that!

Another thing to look at is the state's DMV info, each state has a different amount of time in which you need to tell the DMV you've moved and submit your new address and get a new license/ registration/ etc. All that fun stuff! For example, when I moved to CA, if I wasn't affiliated with the military I would have only had 10 days to get my butt to the DMV to do all that. Thankfully California allows those in the military and their spouses to drive with a different state license as long as we show our ID's, but still. I never had even thought about it to be honest.
  9. Regular Member
    No worries. I didn't make his job with ROTC very clear, to be honest! Haha. Good tip about the DMV! I hadn't thought much about it, either, so that's definitely good information to have now. Thanks!!