Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I have a million questions, so any advice is appreciated!

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by twistertwin View Post
    Don't swap your stuff out. That is def fraud.

Also, once he gets divorced, he will have to let his personnel know. Then he won't get BAH with dependents until after you are married. He will then have to refile for BAH with dependents. It can take awhile for that to kick back in. After that, he can apply for housing. Wait times in Hawaii can be extensive depending on what branch he is with and what location y'all choose. Until then, he can probably stay in the barracks until you arrive. I'm not sure of his rank. Higher ranks are allowed to live off base. Now he is off base because he is still considered married with a dependent.

They will not pay for you, your kids, or furniture to come over. Your children can become his dependents, but you will need all custody paperwork, birth certs, and social security cards. You will need all of that, plus up to date shots to enroll in an on base DOD school.

Honestly, I wouldn't plan on moving until probably the end of the school year. You will have money saved and won't be in limbo waiting on housing while there. Any wait time will be on your own dime.
    I really only want to keep a few things and the rest we want to get together so it's *ours*. Would my best option be to send it through the mail or get a shipping container? I know it takes a month for a shipping container to arrive so I'm wondering how that will work if I ship it and we still don't have housing. I don't want to wait until I fly out to ship it and then have to wait a month for my stuff.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    What rank is he? Depending on that he may not even be required to live in the barracks. But in most (not all) cases once you're married you don't rate a room at the barracks.

I think I read in one of your previous posts that his divorce won't be complete until after he's in Hawaii. Do you know if that means he'll be allowed to live off base with dependent BAH until the divorce is complete, and if he'll rate a HHG weight limit with or without dependents? (Genuinely curious because I don't know).

The last paragraph is a morally gray area. Technically you could get away with them moving your things before you're married. However, you're also technically cheating the government which is fraud. You can decide if it's worth it. When PCSing the government will provide storage for your items up to 90 days (more with a letter from your command) while you look for housing. But again, I'm not sure how it works for someone who's single, living in the barracks.
    All my Army friends here who have divorced are moved back into the barracks basically when they file. I highly doubt OPs boyfriend will be allowed to live off base and collect BAH until it's finalized. I'm sure upon arrival someone will notice he has no one on his orders and will ask.
  3. Senior Member
    Don't swap your stuff out. That is def fraud.

Also, once he gets divorced, he will have to let his personnel know. Then he won't get BAH with dependents until after you are married. He will then have to refile for BAH with dependents. It can take awhile for that to kick back in. After that, he can apply for housing. Wait times in Hawaii can be extensive depending on what branch he is with and what location y'all choose. Until then, he can probably stay in the barracks until you arrive. I'm not sure of his rank. Higher ranks are allowed to live off base. Now he is off base because he is still considered married with a dependent.

They will not pay for you, your kids, or furniture to come over. Your children can become his dependents, but you will need all custody paperwork, birth certs, and social security cards. You will need all of that, plus up to date shots to enroll in an on base DOD school.

Honestly, I wouldn't plan on moving until probably the end of the school year. You will have money saved and won't be in limbo waiting on housing while there. Any wait time will be on your own dime.
    Somehow I missed this post before I responded. You definitely answered a few questions I had.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina View Post
    All my Army friends here who have divorced are moved back into the barracks basically when they file. I highly doubt OPs boyfriend will be allowed to live off base and collect BAH until it's finalized. I'm sure upon arrival someone will notice he has no one on his orders and will ask.
    Gotcha!
    I had no clue how that works.

4. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    What rank is he? Depending on that he may not even be required to live in the barracks. But in most (not all) cases once you're married you don't rate a room at the barracks.

I think I read in one of your previous posts that his divorce won't be complete until after he's in Hawaii. Do you know if that means he'll be allowed to live off base with dependent BAH until the divorce is complete, and if he'll rate a HHG weight limit with or without dependents? (Genuinely curious because I don't know).

The last paragraph is a morally gray area. Technically you could get away with them moving your things before you're married. However, you're also technically cheating the government which is fraud. You can decide if it's worth it. When PCSing the government will provide storage for your items up to 90 days (more with a letter from your command) while you look for housing. But again, I'm not sure how it works for someone who's single, living in the barracks.
    He's an e4. He said when he leaves next month is the last month he will be getting BAH, but he's also going home to California for 30 days before going to Hawaii.

I will be shipping my items after we're married I guess.
  5. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    It sounds like your completely living through hopes and dreams Op. Everything you have planned is theoretical as you haven't lived in Hawaii and it sounds like you've never been married to a military member. I'd surely hope you're actually taking the advice given to you instead of actually brushing it all off. I currently live in Hawaii and can say everything Heisenberg is telling you is spot on, except things are more expensive now and probably more crowded with all the construction that's started since she left.
    I am taking this seriously, which is why I'm trying to do my research.
  6. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by arierosie View Post
    I really only want to keep a few things and the rest we want to get together so it's *ours*. Would my best option be to send it through the mail or get a shipping container? I know it takes a month for a shipping container to arrive so I'm wondering how that will work if I ship it and we still don't have housing. I don't want to wait until I fly out to ship it and then have to wait a month for my stuff.
    Welcome to military life We all wait to get our household goods. I would def wait to send it.

With the divorce and remarriage, it's going to take awhile for him to get housing secured. At his rank, he will be able to get barracks after the divorce. After marriage and BAH kicks in, I just don't know. My husband is Marine Corps and we have friends who have been able to stay in barracks until their spouses arrive in Hawaii, since housing can take awhile to get into.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Welcome to military life We all wait to get our household goods. I would def wait to send it.

With the divorce and remarriage, it's going to take awhile for him to get housing secured. At his rank, he will be able to get barracks after the divorce. After marriage and BAH kicks in, I just don't know. My husband is Marine Corps and we have friends who have been able to stay in barracks until their spouses arrive in Hawaii, since housing can take awhile to get into.
    Because of the area most Army chooses to live on post here. That means that the housing is usually pretty full. There are other options for on base housing, but all of the other Army housing is a 30 minute drive away, Navy housing lists branches as low priority plus the 30 minute drive, and Air Force housing isn't worth the price you'd pay plus it's also 30 minutes away. I'd call the SB housing office and try to find out how long their waiting lists typically are and plan accordingly. Your DB will be able to get on the list as soon as y'all are married, but the wait list will indicate when you should head to Hawaii.
  8. Senior Member
    Because of the area most Army chooses to live on post here. That means that the housing is usually pretty full. There are other options for on base housing, but all of the other Army housing is a 30 minute drive away, Navy housing lists branches as low priority plus the 30 minute drive, and Air Force housing isn't worth the price you'd pay plus it's also 30 minutes away. I'd call the SB housing office and try to find out how long their waiting lists typically are and plan accordingly. Your DB will be able to get on the list as soon as y'all are married, but the wait list will indicate when you should head to Hawaii.
    Is the army housing decent now, have you heard anything? There were some nice neighborhoods at schofield when I was there but they were probably for higher ranks, the one person I knew who lived *on* schofield had a tiny house full of mold and no air conditioning. That's basically why we chose to live off base, we figured we'd get a better place and save some money. I have no regrets there but with kids I'd definitely wanna stay on base. Or maybe somewhere in kapolei might be affordable and not too too far of a drive. We lived in Waipahu but would def not recommend lol. Friends had a cute apartment in Waikele but it was super tiny and idk what they were paying.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Is the army housing decent now, have you heard anything? There were some nice neighborhoods at schofield when I was there but they were probably for higher ranks, the one person I knew who lived *on* schofield had a tiny house full of mold and no air conditioning. That's basically why we chose to live off base, we figured we'd get a better place and save some money. I have no regrets there but with kids I'd definitely wanna stay on base. Or maybe somewhere in kapolei might be affordable and not too too far of a drive. We lived in Waipahu but would def not recommend lol. Friends had a cute apartment in Waikele but it was super tiny and idk what they were paying.
    Most is still pretty run down looking from the outside. There are some nicer neighborhoods but the only people I know who live in them are E-5 and above with kids. Below that gets the apartments or the townhouses towards the back of base. Kapolei/Ewa has grown so much even in the 2.5 years I've been here and not in a good way. Most of it are houses that people either buy or pay about $3000+ monthly. Plus with traffic the commute turns into over an hour during rush hour. DH and I live near the stadium pay $1500 for 1/1 condo but it's just us so it works. The best bet for commute is going to be Mililani, which has nice apartments we were looking at for around $1800 give or take but those are two bedrooms and small as well. Not to mention anything here goes so fast you have to be able to sign papers and put a downpayment that day or it's pretty much good as gone.
  10. Senior Member
    Most is still pretty run down looking from the outside. There are some nicer neighborhoods but the only people I know who live in them are E-5 and above with kids. Below that gets the apartments or the townhouses towards the back of base. Kapolei/Ewa has grown so much even in the 2.5 years I've been here and not in a good way. Most of it are houses that people either buy or pay about $3000+ monthly. Plus with traffic the commute turns into over an hour during rush hour. DH and I live near the stadium pay $1500 for 1/1 condo but it's just us so it works. The best bet for commute is going to be Mililani, which has nice apartments we were looking at for around $1800 give or take but those are two bedrooms and small as well. Not to mention anything here goes so fast you have to be able to sign papers and put a downpayment that day or it's pretty much good as gone.
    Wow things have changed for sure, if I hadn't moved home we would've moved to kapolei instead of renewing in Waipahu. It used to take me like 15 minutes to drive to the target over there lol not bad at all. And rent prices were pretty comparable to what we were paying anyway for a WAY nicer area.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast