Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pets in Iwakuni

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Pets in Iwakuni

Advertisements
    Hello! My husband is up for orders in the next few weeks and we may get to go to MCAS Iwakuni. Our current issue is our two dogs. Everything I have read basically says that we are authorized to bring our dogs but it is HIGHLY DISCOURAGED. Only 1/3 of the on base housing allows dogs and it's VERY difficult to find off base housing that allows dogs.

Does anyone have any experience with dogs in out in Iwakuni?

Leaving my buddies in the states without us for three years sounds absolutely miserable.
  2. Senior Member
    What breeds are they? Iwakuni also has some breed restrictions. Many people from our base our currently moving to Iwakuni because the commands are moving, and some have to leave their dogs because a different base has different rules, so dogs that were allowed at one base in Japan are not allowed at another. It's pretty sad.

I *thought* they were mandatory placement, meaning you are required to live on base. I could be wrong about that, but you'll want to look in to it. (And to the rules on what ranks are allowed off-base, if any.) Generally, dogs are not part of the equation when it comes to mandatory placement. They will assign you a dog-allowed house if one is available, but if not, you get the house you get and are out of luck.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  3. Regular Member
    I would submit a housing form and a pet registration form ASAP!! The sooner the better. I can't imagine having to be without your fur babies
  4. "...now do Classical Gas"
    "...now do Classical Gas"
    A brief visit to Doctor Google supplies this

Must Know : Family Housing
    If I cannot move heaven, I will raise hell
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marinemainsqueez View Post
    I would submit a housing form and a pet registration form ASAP!! The sooner the better. I can't imagine having to be without your fur babies
    They don't have orders yet.

OP, read the first paragraph of the link Matchbox posted. It tells you what you need to know. Basically, right now military housing is mandatory. And having a dog is not a reason to decline housing so if you are offered a house and it isn't dog-friendly, your allowances are cut off as of the available move in date.
  6. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Thanks a bunch everyone. That article was helpful!
  7. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    What breeds are they? Iwakuni also has some breed restrictions. Many people from our base our currently moving to Iwakuni because the commands are moving, and some have to leave their dogs because a different base has different rules, so dogs that were allowed at one base in Japan are not allowed at another. It's pretty sad.

I *thought* they were mandatory placement, meaning you are required to live on base. I could be wrong about that, but you'll want to look in to it. (And to the rules on what ranks are allowed off-base, if any.) Generally, dogs are not part of the equation when it comes to mandatory placement. They will assign you a dog-allowed house if one is available, but if not, you get the house you get and are out of luck.
    I've always wondered what you do at that point. I'm assuming people already have their pets with them when they arrive, and I can't imagine Japanese shelters want a huge influx of US military dogs...so do you turn them around and ship them back to the US to family?
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by [his] lobster View Post
    I've always wondered what you do at that point. I'm assuming people already have their pets with them when they arrive, and I can't imagine Japanese shelters want a huge influx of US military dogs...so do you turn them around and ship them back to the US to family?
    Some people ship them home (at a cost that is often $1000+, after paying to fly them to Japan in the first place). Others re-home them, and families that have pet-friendly housing but no or only 1 pet take them in. And yes, many do end up in shelters. Many Japanese shelters won't even deal with Americans, after seeing to many abandoned pets. It's awful. Some will pay out of pocket to stay in the TLF until a pet friendly home is available. (this can depend on bas policy, and whether you stay at the top of the list and get the first pet home, or not.) But that could easily be thousands and thousands of dollars.
  9. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Is it often that you won't get your housing assignment until you are already there? In my past experience of CONUS base housing we got our assignment a few weeks before we arrived.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by abuery View Post
    Is it often that you won't get your housing assignment until you are already there? In my past experience of CONUS base housing we got our assignment a few weeks before we arrived.
    At both the OCONUS bases I've been on, housing has never been assigned before arrival. (One Navy, one Army)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast