Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Order of Preference? Reenlistment Vs. Orders?

1. Regular Member

Order of Preference? Reenlistment Vs. Orders?

Advertisements
    Hello All,

So I'm a little confused on what the difference between reenlistment and orders are, and the time between all this happens? Reenlistment happens first but then, my DB said orders happen about 8 months out but he won't know for sure where he's going until the date of him actually moving gets closer. Does this mean he can get told one place, but then almost last minute be told another place that he'll have to go?

Also, he said there's some type of list that they can do in order of preference of where they'd want to go next. He has all U.S. locations listed because he'd prefer finishing out his 12 years in the states. I'm wondering how likely it is that they give people the location that they want? He switched to all cargo training/aircraft (He's an AF Mechanic) so if I understand correct, he might be more likely to get stationed in a primarily cargo base because of that. (I might not be 100% correct on the wording/terminology) But yeah if anyone knows about this kind of stuff that would be great help.

As everyone can see, I'm trying to figure things out about this because I want to be with him when he's done at his current station, just seeing how it may pan out.
    Last edited by LoveConquers; 07-30-2017 at 12:13 PM.
  2. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Orders and reenlistment don't really have anything to do with each other. Sometimes to keep orders you have to extend or reenlist.
    Orders usually don't change once given, but they can change. He should have his dream sheet updated always. If he's coming back from overseas they are given a list of bases that open posistions and they rank them of order they want. They don't even have to use those bases but it's best to.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

3. Senior Member
    Reenlistment and orders are very different things.

Reenlistment just means he is signing on to stay in the military. That's it. Think of it as basically signing a job contract. Generally, this has nothing at all to do with location. So it would not come with a promise of going to X place. So on that day, he will say the oath and commit to serving another X years in the military. (The number may vary, but he will know what it is when he signs on.)

Then, 8 months after he is due to enlist he is expecting to get new orders.

Orders are the thing that tell him where he has to go and when. So he will get something that tells him to report to Scott Air Force base in Illinois in December of 2018 (or whatever place and date). Usually they find out not last minute, but last minute orders can and do happen, as do last minute order changes. If someone gets injured, for example, and can't fill a job, then they reshuffle and that can change a lot of people's plans. This doesn't happen super often, but it's not unheard of.

As for the likelihood of him getting what he asks for, that's really, really hard to say. That's a crappy answer, but it's really the most honest one. If there are overseas locations with his job, then it is a possibility. That's all anyone can really say.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  4. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post

Reenlistment just means he is signing on to stay in the military. That's it. Think of it as basically signing a job contract. Generally, this has nothing at all to do with location. So it would not come with a promise of going to X place. So on that day, he will say the oath and commit to serving another X years in the military. (The number may vary, but he will know what it is when he signs on.)

Orders are the thing that tell him where he has to go and when. So he will get something that tells him to report to Scott Air Force base in Illinois in December of 2018 (or whatever place and date). Usually they find out not last minute, but last minute orders can and do happen, as do last minute order changes. If someone gets injured, for example, and can't fill a job, then they reshuffle and that can change a lot of people's plans. This doesn't happen super often, but it's not unheard of.

As for the likelihood of him getting what he asks for, that's really, really hard to say. That's a crappy answer, but it's really the most honest one. If there are overseas locations with his job, then it is a possibility. That's all anyone can really say.
    Okay, thanks! So am I understanding correct then that taking the oath always happens first before he even knows where he's getting orders to? And the knowledge of where he's going happens closer to the end of his current duty station (about 8 months out)?
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post

I'm also going to add onto this is, if he doesn't have enough service years in, there is a chance that they will not continue his orders. If he is going to Scott; but, he only has a year in service, they may say if he doesn't reenlist, the orders will be cancelled and he will finish off his tour at his current duty station.

Your Base of Preference or BOP can happen around your first enlistment period to get you to reenlist. It doesn't always go that way! It is always the need of the Military.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  6. Senior Member
    Sometimes you have to re-enlist to get orders because you don't have enough time left on your contract to get orders. They don't want to pay to move someone who only has a year left. My husband just re-enlisted because of this since we have to move next summer and because he was promoted so his high year tenure is higher now.
  7. Regular Member
    Yeah he has roughly 2.5 years left in his current contract and currently he has 6 years in, but wants to do the 20 to retire so I believe he'll stick to reenlist just was wondering how soon reenlistment and orders happen into his current contract.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveConquers View Post
    just was wondering how soon reenlistment and orders happen into his current contract.
    Depends on how many years he has left before he needs to reenlist, except sometimes military members reenlist early for incentives. If he is AF, since he is overseas he already should have some idea of when the list of jobs for his next assignment will come out. The lists come out four times a year and they are specific. In other words, if the Airman is due to rotate during a certain month and year, his list for the next assignment will come out in a certain month and year. It is called the EQUAL list - Enlisted Quarterly Assignments Listing. The list is the list of available jobs and that is what Mac was referring to above. It is best to choose a base that has a job on the list.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by LoveConquers View Post
    Yeah he has roughly 2.5 years left in his current contract and currently he has 6 years in, but wants to do the 20 to retire so I believe he'll stick to reenlist just was wondering how soon reenlistment and orders happen into his current contract.
    Since he's overseas he either has a 2,3,4 year initial tour. Most people I know who go to Germany unaccompanied (no dependents) have two year tours. A year before his DEROS (date to return from overseas) he will receive a RIP. It's basically a paper to inform his command and the AF what he plans to do. The options are to keep his original DEROS and leave when he's supposed to, extend his time there so many months/years, or IPCOT and double his tour (another 2,3,4 years). If he chooses anything other than to keep his DEROS he will have to get approval. If he doesn't want to stay he will receive orders anywhere from 6-9 months out typically. The orders will either be to another overseas location or stateside. Where he goes depends on his job, rank, and what's available. There are only so many billets (positions basically) available for each rank/job at every base. So it's all about what lines up.

His dream sheet (base preference list) should always be updated just in case. They will try to match your overseas preferences first and if that doesn't work they'll go to your stateside, unless you don't have one or the other. They'll go down the list until they either match you or don't, then the AF needs are the only thing that matters.
  10. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolina View Post
    Since he's overseas he either has a 2,3,4 year initial tour. Most people I know who go to Germany unaccompanied (no dependents) have two year tours. A year before his DEROS (date to return from overseas) he will receive a RIP. It's basically a paper to inform his command and the AF what he plans to do. The options are to keep his original DEROS and leave when he's supposed to, extend his time there so many months/years, or IPCOT and double his tour (another 2,3,4 years). If he chooses anything other than to keep his DEROS he will have to get approval. If he doesn't want to stay he will receive orders anywhere from 6-9 months out typically. The orders will either be to another overseas location or stateside. Where he goes depends on his job, rank, and what's available. There are only so many billets (positions basically) available for each rank/job at every base. So it's all about what lines up.

His dream sheet (base preference list) should always be updated just in case. They will try to match your overseas preferences first and if that doesn't work they'll go to your stateside, unless you don't have one or the other. They'll go down the list until they either match you or don't, then the AF needs are the only thing that matters.
    This is very specific, helpful information thanks so much! I just really want what's best for my daughter and I, so that I can roughly plan when a custody plan might need to happen. I have sole custody but can't take her out of state without permission. So I just want to research the area and schooling where he might be stationed asap when he does find out, and without me constantly having to ask him specifics of him knowing when it'll be because I'm sure it's all overwhelming as it is. Sounds like I just have to be patient and go with the flow 😊
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast