Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help: Moving cross country

1. Senior Member

Help: Moving cross country

Advertisements
    This is totally unrelated to the military but what's the best way to move minimal items from say south Florida to Boise, ID? When I say minimal items I mean things like books and out of season clothes and shoes etc, maybe like 3-4 boxes? Not a lot of stuff by any means but too much to pack into a car with two golden retrievers and two full grown adults for 35 hours.

Also has anybody lived in Boise, or Idaho in general? Nothing is set in stone and this is very new but it's looking increasingly likely that we'll be moving there next spring-ish! I'm definitely jinxing it by talking about it so much but I'm so excited!
  2. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Dh's employer has a facility there. The guys come to San Diego a lot cuz it's not full-time production yet so they're rotated out to the other sites. But from what I've heard from them, Boise is: growing quickly esp. manufacturing jobs. Family friendly. Has extremely cheap housing and booze. Lots of wilderness. Idaho in general is quite pretty (I've been to part but not Boise). There's a good university there, I think.

For moving, maybe just do ground shipping? Or pack it all into flat rate boxes and mail it.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  3. Senior Member
    UHaul has really small trailers that can be towed by most cars. If you don't have a hitch it doesn't cost much to get.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    Dh's employer has a facility there. The guys come to San Diego a lot cuz it's not full-time production yet so they're rotated out to the other sites. But from what I've heard from them, Boise is: growing quickly esp. manufacturing jobs. Family friendly. Has extremely cheap housing and booze. Lots of wilderness. Idaho in general is quite pretty (I've been to part but not Boise). There's a good university there, I think.

For moving, maybe just do ground shipping? Or pack it all into flat rate boxes and mail it.
    That's pretty much what I'm finding in my research! It seems like a perfect place for us. He's a wildland firefighter and it seems like Idaho is basically always on fire so his job security should be good, he's in Idaho city this summer and he'll hopefully go permanent next year. I'm concerned about moving to a red state but I've heard that Boise is more liberal than the rest of the state.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina22LE View Post
    UHaul has really small trailers that can be towed by most cars. If you don't have a hitch it doesn't cost much to get.
    I looked at those and they're so expensive! I couldn't believe it.

Has anybody heard of busfreighter? I only found it a few days ago and have done almost no research but it sounds like you drop boxes off at a greyhound station and pick them up at another greyhound station? Very cheap but reviews are mixed.
  6. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    That's pretty much what I'm finding in my research! It seems like a perfect place for us. He's a wildland firefighter and it seems like Idaho is basically always on fire so his job security should be good, he's in Idaho city this summer and he'll hopefully go permanent next year. I'm concerned about moving to a red state but I've heard that Boise is more liberal than the rest of the state.
    You sure you guys don't want to come to CA? We have like 25 fires right now! And yeah, I'm sure Boise is more liberal. It seems to be mixed no matter where you end up though, I mean, I'm in a racially diverse, seemingly liberal 'burb of San Diego and some neighbors had Trump signs and some had Clinton signs
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  7. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    Can you not just ship them via Fedex or UPS? If you ship ground it shouldn't be too crazy expensive unless you're talking about super huge/heavy boxes.

8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    You sure you guys don't want to come to CA? We have like 25 fires right now! And yeah, I'm sure Boise is more liberal. It seems to be mixed no matter where you end up though, I mean, I'm in a racially diverse, seemingly liberal 'burb of San Diego and some neighbors had Trump signs and some had Clinton signs
    Hahahah I'm sure he'll be all over CA, couldn't afford to live there though.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by April Lynne View Post
    Can you not just ship them via Fedex or UPS? If you ship ground it shouldn't be too crazy expensive unless you're talking about super huge/heavy boxes.

I'm sure I could, I just wasn't sure if there were better options that I wasn't aware of. And I really never mail anything so idk how to estimate costs which is kind of concerning to me, I'm afraid I'm gonna go to ship something and they'll be like "ok $1000 please"
  10. Wine-o
    Wine-o
    Quote Originally Posted by April Lynne View Post
    I was going to suggest this. USPS has the flat rate boxes but the large ones aren't that big so not sure if that's cost effective depending on how much stuff you have. USPS also has Media Mail which is just for books and educational stuff so if you have a box full of books, you can send those on the super cheap.
    ~Becca~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast